Blower Motor Resistor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Motor Resistor

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 09-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
The latest edition of JP Magazine has an interesting article on the problem with the switches. Their take on it is that the blower motor gets dirty over time and requires more current to turn it. This over heats the switchs and wiring causing the melted plastic and insulation problems we get. There fix is to wire relays into the wiring between the switch and the motor which removes the higher current draw away from the switch. They did a read on the switch temperature before and after the modification and they saw a significant reduction.
i read the article...i agree its a good idea and will do it (eventually) but the temps they saw as "significant" was only like ten degrees or something..not very significant. not enough to cause the melting we have seen. maybe once it starts to heat up then it really heats up...dunno

rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
brianwinchell
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine had the exact symptoms and the resistor is all that needed to be replaced.

I had done this once in my previous TJ and it was horrible. This time and TJ I got smart and took out the passenger seat so i had room to laydown and work in the dash.

Much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano
I've got the same issue. the fan would only work on high, and now has stopped working completely. I'm guessing I need replace both the resistor and the fan switch. Is the fan switch only available at a dealership?
brianwinchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
pmh118
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyj
to answer the original question...
the red part is a "keeper" or "lock"
it needs to be slid up then it comes apart just like you would expect
I was just going to write a follow up post saying that the red piece just needed to be slid up, but you beat me to it.

I was a little too hesitant to push that red thing with much force, for fear that it was something more than a lock. But, after getting frustrated enough, it's amazing how you just don't care anymore... haha.

Since blower resistors seem to be such a problem in Wranglers, I didn't even put that red lock back on there. Even without it, you still have to PRY the resistor apart from the pack (if that's the correct term). I figure I'll make it a little easier for next time, if there is a next time.

Thanks all!
pmh118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine replaced last night. NAPA didn't have it in stock but could get it for me by the end of the day for just under $51. Called the Jeep stealership and they had it in stock for just under $51. That was the problem - all it needed was the blower motor resistor.
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #20
cmgorman94
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had problems with my fan switch burning up about 3 or 4 times in the 5 years I have owned it. Actually it's not working right now, I'm just too scared and broke to pull it out right now to see if I've melted another one. Would this resistor pack be something I should replace when I put in the new switch(I'm sure it's burnt up again, I just don't want to actually look.) Also I'd be interested in seeing more about this article in JP magazine. If anyone has a scanner and wants to post that or send it to me I would be extremely grateful.
Chad<-----tired of fixing the same old stuff
cmgorman94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh118
Hey guys.

I am also having a bit of trouble with my HVAC system. Speeds 3 and 4 work great, but 1 and 2 don't work at all. From what I've read, the blower motor resistor could be the problem. So, I went to the Jeep dealership yesterday and bought one for $16.40--not bad.

I figured it was going to be really hard to get to, but surprisingly, it only took about 10 minutes. I figured it was all downhill from there, but apparently I was wrong. I spent about 2 hours trying to "unplug" the old one.

I snapped some pictures hoping that someone can help me out. I'm just not sure how this thing comes apart, and I'm scared to be overly forceful with it.

OLD one

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

NEW one

#5:

#6:

In the second picture, it looks like that little tab (facing the camera) may push up into the indented area at the top of the red clip. I tried to do that with a small screwdriver, but I didn't have any luck. I also tried to push down on the black clip part (where the grooves are) to see if that would release it, but it didn't.

After 2 hours of sore fingers and much profanity, I'm not sure what to push/pull as I try to unplug this thing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks.
Thanks to this forum I saved time and aggravation. I had the same symptom of only high fan speed. I had the same resistor pack as above, stealership charged $22.50 for part. 45 min later fan working fine. Oh, by the way to release the connector slide red tab out then push down on black catch release.
#200 v.2 black jeep club
goldrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2007, 06:34 AM   #22
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The engineer who designed the location of that peice should be fired!

If you have hands the size of a 8 year olds, you will be fine. If not, have patience!
Unread 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How did they go about the relays? Was it one relay per fan speed, or a relay for the initial power to the switch? I couldn't find the article on their website and I wanted to know more about the solution as I'm on my 3rd switch.
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #24
Toombs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831
How did they go about the relays? Was it one relay per fan speed, or a relay for the initial power to the switch? I couldn't find the article on their website and I wanted to know more about the solution as I'm on my 3rd switch.
That changed depending on the year. For your 2001,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toombs
The blower motor relay supplies 12 volts to the motor in ALL speed settings. The relay is fed from the PDC. The blower speed switch is actually switching the ground for the blower motor, and simply routes it through zero to three of the resistors in the resistor bank, then through the mode position switch, and on to ground. The fuse behind the glovebox actually fuses the coil for the blower motor relay (among other things).
Here's a PDF of the schematic....2001 Heater Schematic

I don't know if that will help you with a solution to your switch problem, but at least you'll understand how it works a little better.

Mike
Unread 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #25
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgorman94
Also I'd be interested in seeing more about this article in JP magazine.
Here it is...

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #26
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, this problem seems to have struck me as well - speeds 1&2 don't work while 3&4 work okay. The pictures from the older posts aren't showing anymore so I took some from inside and under my dash. This is for a 2006 Unlimited - can somebody confirm which "thing" is the resistor pack for the blower?

This one is a shot directly behind the glove box. Is it that green plug on the right?

This one is a shot directly up from the floorboard behind the dash. The bottom of the picture is towards the back of the Jeep. Is it the black component circled in red?

And lastly - this thing is the blower, I presume?

If anybody has that part number to ask for at the parts department, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
VnutZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #27
evader

All of the pictures and that .pdf are no longer available.

Can someone repost?
evader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #28
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyj View Post
i read the article...i agree its a good idea and will do it (eventually) but the temps they saw as "significant" was only like ten degrees or something..not very significant. not enough to cause the melting we have seen. maybe once it starts to heat up then it really heats up...dunno
I did this mod after melting two fan switches and some connectors and wire in a two year period. It is a fix that I suggest everyone should do. As well as a headlight harness, same bad design using inadequate wire size for the job. I have now done it to three other Jeepers I know. All have reported no failures or switches showing signs of heat.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #29
ssface
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Blower Motor Resistor

Only the high blower switch position was not working on my 1999 Wrangler (without A/C).
I replaced the resistor in less than 5 min. and it cured the problem...very simple replacement by removing bad restistor's two screws on passenger side firewall and installing the new one.
Jeep Forum info quite helpful...thxx
ssface
ssface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
kazafka

Can u semd some pics of what it looks like, I cant find it. 1999 TJ wrangler.
kazafka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.