Blower Motor Resistor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Motor Resistor

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Blower Motor Resistor

My fan switch only seems to work on high. I'm guessing that it is the Blower Motor Resistor. My service manual indicates the following:

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR
The blower motor resistor is mounted to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. On models with the optional air conditioning, it can be accessed by removing the recirculation air door actuator kick cover.

I looked under the passenger side last night, but don't see anything that looks like a resistor at first glance. Do I need to pull some of the covers off the bottom? My Jeep doesn't have AC.

Anyone ever changed one of these before.

Unread 09-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There's a kick panel above the passenger-side footwell held on by just a few screws that needs to be dropped before you can spot the resistor pack. Look for something held onto the HVAC plenum with two screws and a 4 wire connector plugged into it, that's the resistor pack. Check the wiring closely too as it can get overheated and melt/cook the insulation. I ended up splicing in new wiring when I replaced my '97 TJ's resistor pack.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a plastic kick panel that you have to remove. It's the same whether the vehicle has AC or doesn't.

Look under the dash, below the glove box.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Found the resistor tonight. Nothing like a stand on your head job! It was packed full of dirt and had some seeds from a maple tree in it. The wiring looked fine. So I guess its off to NAPA tomorrow morning on break or to the Jeep stealership at lunch if NAPA doesn't have one in stock.
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Don't rule out www.jeepsareus.com, they always have some good prices.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if the blower resistor isn't the problem you probably have an issue with the actual switch behind the dash panel, which can just be an SOB to to get into place.

In my situation I had read on here it was the blower resistor, bought it replaced it, and found out it was the switch after all. ugh.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
eprovenzano
2005 WK 

I've got the same issue. the fan would only work on high, and now has stopped working completely. I'm guessing I need replace both the resistor and the fan switch. Is the fan switch only available at a dealership?
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
pmh118
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys.

I am also having a bit of trouble with my HVAC system. Speeds 3 and 4 work great, but 1 and 2 don't work at all. From what I've read, the blower motor resistor could be the problem. So, I went to the Jeep dealership yesterday and bought one for $16.40--not bad.

I figured it was going to be really hard to get to, but surprisingly, it only took about 10 minutes. I figured it was all downhill from there, but apparently I was wrong. I spent about 2 hours trying to "unplug" the old one.

I snapped some pictures hoping that someone can help me out. I'm just not sure how this thing comes apart, and I'm scared to be overly forceful with it.

OLD one

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

NEW one

#5:

#6:

In the second picture, it looks like that little tab (facing the camera) may push up into the indented area at the top of the red clip. I tried to do that with a small screwdriver, but I didn't have any luck. I also tried to push down on the black clip part (where the grooves are) to see if that would release it, but it didn't.

After 2 hours of sore fingers and much profanity, I'm not sure what to push/pull as I try to unplug this thing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks.
pmh118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my blower resistor doesn't look like that. It seems you got the wrong thing from your pic. try going over to the left and back a little more. it's bit of a pain to get at with a screwdriver, but it's not much a pain to change out.
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974
my blower resistor doesn't look like that. It seems you got the wrong thing from your pic. try going over to the left and back a little more. it's bit of a pain to get at with a screwdriver, but it's not much a pain to change out.
Jeep changed the type of resistor pack in later model years, they're not at all like what is in our '97/99 TJs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The latest edition of JP Magazine has an interesting article on the problem with the switches. Their take on it is that the blower motor gets dirty over time and requires more current to turn it. This over heats the switchs and wiring causing the melted plastic and insulation problems we get. There fix is to wire relays into the wiring between the switch and the motor which removes the higher current draw away from the switch. They did a read on the switch temperature before and after the modification and they saw a significant reduction.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
pmh118
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I have a 2004. I noticed that it looks quite a bit different than the ones from earlier model TJs.
pmh118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Toombs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Jeep changed the type of resistor pack in later model years, they're not at all like what is in our '97/99 TJs.
I wonder when they changed....my 01 has the older style, FYI.

Mike
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

and apparently just as crappy. haha :-)
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

to answer the original question...
the red part is a "keeper" or "lock"
it needs to be slid up then it comes apart just like you would expect
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.