Blower Motor Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Motor Removal

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Blower Motor Removal

I have been hearing a vibrating sound from my blower motor on recirculate. Now I get it on any setting. I suspect that something got into the ducts.(sounds kind of like paper)

How is the blower mounted? I disconnected the power to the blower, but I can't see how to remove it. Also, where are the air intakes for fresh air and recirculated air?

Unread 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
TruckMuddr
Always Something

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the dash. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without having to remove the HVAC housing.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Unplug the blower motor wire harness connector .
3. Release blower motor retainer-locking tab and rotate blower motor counterclockwise.
4. Remove blower motor from the HVAC housing.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Failure to install the blower motor assembly correctly could result in an air leak or the blower motor assembly becoming completely disengaged from the HVAC housing.

1. Align and install the blower motor into the HVAC housing.
2. Rotate the blower motor until all of the locking tabs have secured the blower motor assembly to the HVAC housing.
3. Connect the wire harness connector to the blower motor.
4. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
5. Test the blower motor for proper installation by turning the blower motor speed to its fastest position and checking around the outer edges of the blower assembly for air leaks. If any air leaks are found, remove and reinstall the blower motor.
'04 TJ, X, 4.0, Auto, Silver, D30/D44 w/LS & 4.56's, RC 4" Series II, PA 3" BL, Advanced Adapter's TC Bracket, 15x12 Eagle Alloys 058, 15/35-15 TSL, 4x K/C DayLighters & Windshield Mounts, Ventvisor's Bugsheild, Door Sill & Window Vents, Fabtech Front Bumper & homemade Rear W/ Backup Lights, Hurculiner.

On-Going Picture Thread

"It's Always Something And It's Never Good" - TruckMuddr
TruckMuddr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The motor was mounted 90 degrees off. I found a soda straw wrapper in the motor. Everything worked great and it only took a couple of minutes. I installed it like the picture showed. Thanks again.
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
TruckMuddr
Always Something

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No problem.
'04 TJ, X, 4.0, Auto, Silver, D30/D44 w/LS & 4.56's, RC 4" Series II, PA 3" BL, Advanced Adapter's TC Bracket, 15x12 Eagle Alloys 058, 15/35-15 TSL, 4x K/C DayLighters & Windshield Mounts, Ventvisor's Bugsheild, Door Sill & Window Vents, Fabtech Front Bumper & homemade Rear W/ Backup Lights, Hurculiner.

On-Going Picture Thread

"It's Always Something And It's Never Good" - TruckMuddr
TruckMuddr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
EvilSpock
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love Jeep Forum!!!!

I had the same problem. Did a search and 5 mins later we are good to go!
You guys are awesome!

http://4x4ham.com
EvilSpock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
myrockfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
The motor was mounted 90 degrees off. I found a soda straw wrapper in the motor. Everything worked great and it only took a couple of minutes. I installed it like the picture showed. Thanks again.

90 degrees?! Is your jeep secondhand? Do you think that was a factory mistake or what? That is just odd.

I am wondering because mine has been making an odd noise too. I just haven't made time to fix it.

[url=http://www.cloud9photography.us/]Airplane Pictures[/url]
myrockfight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Old post, but I can't figure out the retaining tab that locks the fan in place. Anyone have a pic? The only thing I saw was two little tabs. I pushed them up and I still can't turn it.
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Okay I got. Here are some additional pics that should come in real handy for the next guy. I hate messing with this stuff. Of all the DIY Jeep projects, I have been the most frustrated with this and the blower motor resistor. All said and done the noise is still there and I broke the retaining tab off.

There are not the tab. These should be left alone.

Close up of one.

Here is the broken tab base. It is in the back of the motor. Get a mirror or feel around carefully.

Here is the other part.

Here is the motor and blower removed.

Unread 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
bigsky006667
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Willydigger, Thanks for the additional pics. I broke the tab too. PITA!
bigsky006667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
JeepnAZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am getting ready to remove mine in the morning as I have ther loud sound on high recirculate. What do you do if you break off the tab?
2006 TJ, 4.0 Auto, Dana 35, 3 " of lift with OME 932-941 LD Springs w 3/4" spacers, OME N66-N67 Shocks , 32-11.5 BFG TA KO, MB 15" Predator Wheels, SRC Front and Rear w tire carrier, Rocker Side Armor, True Speed Calibrator, JKS Quickier Discos, Soft Top, 6" Canyon Flares, 9,000 lb Chicago Electric Winch/ HF Universal Winch Mount, B&M Remote Auto Transmission Filter, B&M Auto Transmission Temp Gauge, Aussie Locker up Front
JeepnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy a whole new one or stick it back in with the broken tab. I stuck mine back in and added a little duct tape to keep it from potentially vibrating out. It's been like that for going on two years.
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
JeepnAZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My roaring noise was the result of part of a straw paper cover and some pine needles. Thanks for all the info. I was able to get out the blower motor without breaking the tab and got it back in place. The mirror was a great suggestion. Here is a picture of the debris inside the fan.
blower-motor.jpg  
2006 TJ, 4.0 Auto, Dana 35, 3 " of lift with OME 932-941 LD Springs w 3/4" spacers, OME N66-N67 Shocks , 32-11.5 BFG TA KO, MB 15" Predator Wheels, SRC Front and Rear w tire carrier, Rocker Side Armor, True Speed Calibrator, JKS Quickier Discos, Soft Top, 6" Canyon Flares, 9,000 lb Chicago Electric Winch/ HF Universal Winch Mount, B&M Remote Auto Transmission Filter, B&M Auto Transmission Temp Gauge, Aussie Locker up Front
JeepnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Hydrogenous
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckMuddr View Post
The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the dash. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without having to remove the HVAC housing.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Unplug the blower motor wire harness connector .
3. Release blower motor retainer-locking tab and rotate blower motor counterclockwise.
4. Remove blower motor from the HVAC housing.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Failure to install the blower motor assembly correctly could result in an air leak or the blower motor assembly becoming completely disengaged from the HVAC housing.

1. Align and install the blower motor into the HVAC housing.
2. Rotate the blower motor until all of the locking tabs have secured the blower motor assembly to the HVAC housing.
3. Connect the wire harness connector to the blower motor.
4. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
5. Test the blower motor for proper installation by turning the blower motor speed to its fastest position and checking around the outer edges of the blower assembly for air leaks. If any air leaks are found, remove and reinstall the blower motor.

This is WRONG.

Step 1 should be like this:

1. Become an octopus
Hydrogenous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
jbass62

I too was having the same rattle problem in my 2005 TJ. The tab is at the front right (firewall) side and can easily be found by reaching your hand up and running your fingers along the rim until you find it, no tools are needed and you don't need to turn yourself upside down to get at it. All it needs is a gentle tug downward to release the fan. Don't pull it more than a 1/4" or so or it will break, it only needs a little pull to release it from its locking slot, then twist the fan towards the drivers side seat. The wire plug is released by pulling the little red locking tab out and then squeezing the connector. The fan was filled with pine needles and twigs that get through the hood screen intact. I cleaned the cage with soapy water and a brush, blew it out with air and simply snapped it back in place with a twist towards the passenger door, about a 5 minute job to stop months of annoying fan noise!
jbass62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.