Black to White TJ Unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Black to White TJ Unlimited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
JeepViper

Black to White TJ Unlimited

Hey All,
I need a little advice/recommendation. I found a black 2006 TJ, locally, outfitted the way that I've always wanted. This one is black and my other three Wranglers have been white, which I prefer. My question is, if I wanted to paint this one white what would the best approach be? Paint entire exterior to just inside the tub, but leaving most of the rest of the interior black (seems like it would work visually) The way I have it pictured would be to have everything white that would show, even when the top's off. Or would this just look plain funny. I can't seem to picture what should be done inside around the windshield. I'm not totally opposed to driving a black rig, but I've only owned one black vehicle, previously, and swore that I would never own another! (I guess "never-say-never" applies here) Thanks for everyone's input. BTW, there is a white one available, but it almost 1000 miles away. Thanks again,

Cheers,
JV

"Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no road, and leave a trail"...
JeepViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DON'T DO IT!you'll loose a lot of money on resale and it will look ugly unless you paint it inside-out white.Find a white one to begin with...

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I agree with Jeep2008. I think painting a vehicle a different color you are just asking for trouble. Can it be done, sure; do people do it, sure. That doesn't make it a good choice though. If you are rebuilding a Jeep it's not to big of a deal. Some states won't even give you a normal title if the color is different then what they VIN number says it should be. You would have to get a salvage title in those states. Also I would budget a minimum of $3,000 to repaint it. Sure there are plenty of shops that can do it cheaper but the quality will no be there and the paint could start to chip in a year. Painting a vehicle correctly is an expensive process and not an easy one. I would suggest you come to the dark side and ride in Black or look for a White one to start out.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am dissapointed in the answers so far:

You need to:

Buy AEV highline kit, Genright rockers and full length corner guards, and windshield guards. Just paint white and install.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Leave it black.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
bdevr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your jeep, your call. I will tell you from experience that their is ALOT of prep work to doing it right. You could skip the rollbar and the inside of the tub and it would look ok, but you need yo pull everything else apart. And I mean EVERYTHING. I did that part myself and it was a PITA. Take a minute and look at all of the areas that have to come off in order to spray them completely. Hood, doors, tailgate, cowl, grill, windshield, hinges and the countless little things. Oh s**t right? With that said, it was worth every bit of the headache.
bdevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
TJ-Driver
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would think you could get the white Jeep shipped to you for a lot less than the cost of painting the black one. Lot less hassle if you just went and got it too...
TJ-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Dhorn33
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I love my white Jeep too but in all honesty I have never purchased a vehicle based on what color it was. If the deal is good enough then the color becomes irrelevent - but if it is priced normally or high and not a color you like then why would you buy it? I guess what I am saying is that for the right price you can hopefully overlook the color.
Dhorn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

If ya gotta have white, drive the 1000 miles to get white. Otherwise, leave it black.

Paint a black jeep white, scratch it ............looks like Fido's hiney.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
timmyt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i say drive to get the white one as well. i had to drive my jeep from new mexico to rhode island.

timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Silvers nice! Unless your going to pull the doors, fenders, hood, or remove the tub all the way? Just look for the color you want.It will be a lot cheaper.IMHO!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
i say drive to get the white one as well. i had to drive my jeep from new mexico to rhode island.

that's a long drive from New Mexico to Quahog!
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
rayar3
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah an airline ticket across the country plus the cost of gas to drive it back is way cheaper than a good paint job. Check out vast.com. It's a website that compiles most of the cars for sale online. I'm sure with a little searching you'll find the black jeep's twin in white, and at the same price or maybe cheaper.
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yep, i got a cheap (stand-by) one plane ticket, and drove my jeep home, 1100 miles.

i agree with what has been said, repainting a different color is not the way i would go.

but, it is your call.
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
fiveoaks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i drove to d.c. from ohio to pick up a white 97 sport that was the jeep my son wanted...i agree with the other posters, painting it properly would cost way more than traveling to pick up the white one.
fiveoaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.