Originally Posted by KoolAid
don't shoot me if this has been covered (search was fruitless) -- my Sport is over 6 years old now, and she's showing her age a little. My biggest problem is that the black paint is chipping off - on the arms that hold the side-view mirrors and on the hinges for the window on my hardtop mostly - my fog light holders as well.
Is this a common thing? Is there a way to fix this myself, or will I have to take it somewhere to get them painted? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined....
Thanks in advance for the help
kool-aid i had the same problem and what i did was use a grinder with a wire wheel to strip off all the paint and corrosion, this kinda gave it a stainless look. so now i have black mirrors silver arms and black mounts. it has been about 4 months and they still look good (by "good" i mean not as crappy as the black paint flaking off) i didnt treat them with anything either, i just wheeled off the paint and put em back on.
if you do decide to paint yours i would do the following (i used to be a painter)
1. strip off all old paint. (if you know someone with a benchgrinder with a wire wheel this will only take 5 minutes.)
2. clean with a de-greaser like "fantastic"
3. clean with soap and water
4. prime with a spray paint primer for metal. (i like rustoleum brand)
5. topcoat with a flat black spray paint for metal (flat paint is easier to re-paint if you need to touch em up again in a few years without having to strip them down again, gloss is more durable but your problem isnt with durability its with "paint adhesion")
good luck. paul.