black paint chipping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > black paint chipping

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
KoolAid

black paint chipping

don't shoot me if this has been covered (search was fruitless) -- my Sport is over 6 years old now, and she's showing her age a little. My biggest problem is that the black paint is chipping off - on the arms that hold the side-view mirrors and on the hinges for the window on my hardtop mostly - my fog light holders as well.

Is this a common thing? Is there a way to fix this myself, or will I have to take it somewhere to get them painted? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined....

Thanks in advance for the help

1998 Wrangler Sport - "Bessie"
KoolAid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine too. You could sand them down and paint them or you can order new ones from quadratec for about $85 plus shipping. Finally, you can be a total cheap-o like me and wrap black electrical tape around them. New TJs have black molded plastic housings for the mirror brackets now due to this very common problem.
Fishbulb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
red99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yea my passenger side mirror does it but thats on the things later down on the list to work on. Just prep it and repaint it and it should be fine.
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid
don't shoot me if this has been covered (search was fruitless) -- my Sport is over 6 years old now, and she's showing her age a little. My biggest problem is that the black paint is chipping off - on the arms that hold the side-view mirrors and on the hinges for the window on my hardtop mostly - my fog light holders as well.

Is this a common thing? Is there a way to fix this myself, or will I have to take it somewhere to get them painted? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined....

Thanks in advance for the help
kool-aid i had the same problem and what i did was use a grinder with a wire wheel to strip off all the paint and corrosion, this kinda gave it a stainless look. so now i have black mirrors silver arms and black mounts. it has been about 4 months and they still look good (by "good" i mean not as crappy as the black paint flaking off) i didnt treat them with anything either, i just wheeled off the paint and put em back on.

if you do decide to paint yours i would do the following (i used to be a painter)

1. strip off all old paint. (if you know someone with a benchgrinder with a wire wheel this will only take 5 minutes.)

2. clean with a de-greaser like "fantastic"

3. clean with soap and water

4. prime with a spray paint primer for metal. (i like rustoleum brand)

5. topcoat with a flat black spray paint for metal (flat paint is easier to re-paint if you need to touch em up again in a few years without having to strip them down again, gloss is more durable but your problem isnt with durability its with "paint adhesion")

good luck. paul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.