Bilstein shock mounts have bushings rather than required bar pins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bilstein shock mounts have bushings rather than required bar pins

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bilstein shock mounts have bushings rather than required bar pins

I finally received my Bilstein 5125 series shocks from Allshocks.com. Problem is all four shocks have the generic hoop style connection top & bottom @ all for corners. No post-style connection up front for the top mount & no sleeve inserts w/ the two ears on either side for the mounting bolts on any of the other connections--merely a generic metal sleeve insert for the bushing.

I REALLY need to get a solution ASAP as I am going on a wheel'n/ camping trip the last weekend of this month--July 29th-Aug 1st--so my absolute last chance for install of my lift kit,tires, shocks, rear ds, etc. is the weekend of the 23-25th (I was planing on doing the install this weekend--16th-18th-- & using the remaining week to dial in the setup).

My options as I can conceive thus far are to:

1. Contact Allshocks.com explain the problem, hope to get a return/exchange for four TJ specific 5100's, get the 20% restocking fee waived ($63.96). But have to pay for shipment back to Allshocks.com of four 5125's & hope the 5100's aren't on nat'l backorder like these 5125's were. All the while hope for a quick ship of the 5100's while the 5125's are in transit back.

2. Keep the rear 5125's; reuse the OEM sleeve inserts w/ the ears on the side (if the bushing is the same size?). Then buy two 5100's for the front w/ the model specific connections & return the two front 5125's & take a $31.98 restock fee on the two.

3. Pay to ship the two front 5125's to Bilstein's service center in Cali to get them machined w/ post connections for the top mount (shop labor price is $65/hr--including machining & welding) & pay $35 per unit for 1-2 rush service. This allows me to keep the longer, custom travel quality of the 5125's.

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice on what to do soon, thanks!

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

call them explain what happened. if theres nothing they can do about it, buy the adapters

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a pair of upper shock adapters that convert the top shock mount to match your new shocks, Quadratec and 4WDrive Hardware sells them. Front Shock Adapter Brackets
shock-adapter.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There we go, thats what I was talking about, thanks jerry!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

that kit will add an inch to your shock length. so you might bottom the shock out sooner. but it also makes your droop one inch longer.
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

JKS makes adapters
JKS Manufacturing: Shock Mounting Components

Here is a guy selling a set for $20 -

TJ JKS Shock conversion NEW - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

EDIT: in the 20 seconds i took me to find the JKS page Jerry and a bunch of others beat me
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, that seems like a possible solution. My only concern about adding another 1" (approximate) is that these 5125's are already a tad on the tall side for their compressed form:

Rock Krawler front travel specs-- 16.5" Compressed to 28.5" extended
Bilstein 5125's --12" travel shocks 17.9" compressed to 29.7" extended

Might these shock adapter brackets make em' way too tall?

Thanks . . .

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh btw, I'm also wondering if I might contact the only two off-road shops in STL--albeit 30-45 min trips one way--to see if they could perform the minor surgery of chopping off the top bayonet/hoop style connection & fab'n on the post-style connection that Bistein in California could perform. Plausible?

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy3030 View Post
Ok, that seems like a possible solution. My only concern about adding another 1" (approximate) is that these 5125's are already a tad on the tall side for their compressed form:

Rock Krawler front travel specs-- 16.5" Compressed to 28.5" extended
Bilstein 5125's --12" travel shocks 17.9" compressed to 29.7" extended

Might these shock adapter brackets make em' way too tall?

Thanks . . .
The rears are way to long for the 3.5" lift, to begin with, 10" travel rear shocks will droop enough to drop springs on stock mounts and only end you up with about 3.5" uptravel. 14.5" compressed length is about as long as you want to go and will require close to 3" bumpstop extension. add the JKS Bar pin elimiators and you're asking for a bone jarring ride. The RK lift may have upper rear relocation brackets that require a BL, gain 1" in uptravel and elimiate the Bar Pins.

the front 16.5" compressed length Bilstien will need a minimum of 3" bumpstop extension.... add another inch to that if you use the conversion brackets Jerry posted.
15.5" collapsed is the length you should be looking for up front.

I'd scrap the bilstien 5125 idea and use OME N66L fronts, and OME N67L rears. They'll bolt on, are the correct length for the lift listed in your profile and will ride and perform great.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
The rears are way to long for the 3.5" lift, to begin with, 10" travel rear shocks will droop enough to drop springs on stock mounts and only end you up with about 3.5" uptravel. 14.5" compressed length is about as long as you want to go and will require close to 3" bumpstop extension. add the JKS Bar pin elimiators and you're asking for a bone jarring ride. The RK lift may have upper rear relocation brackets that require a BL, gain 1" in uptravel and elimiate the Bar Pins.

the front 16.5" compressed length Bilstien will need a minimum of 3" bumpstop extension.... add another inch to that if you use the conversion brackets Jerry posted.
15.5" collapsed is the length you should be looking for up front.

I'd scrap the bilstien 5125 idea and use OME N66L fronts, and OME N67L rears. They'll bolt on, are the correct length for the lift listed in your profile and will ride and perform great.
I was thinking the same thing before I ever received the shocks from allshocks.com, sent another email to Kevin Foote @ allshocks to double check these #'s vs the TJ 4" lift specific 5100's & he swore that the 5125's matched up better. I've since had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind . . . still do.

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So here's the lowdown on how everything has turned out--return/exchange-wise. During my 10 o'clock 15min break I contacted Kevin @ Allshocks.com,--aka Turner Motorsports-- explained the situation & my desire to go w/ the 5100's @ all four corners (thanks Mudb8 for the final encouragement; reinforcing my longstanding concern). Ok, no problems, even swap. However, Allshocks was out of stock on the front 5100's--model # F4-BE5-6241-H5-- so they could only exchange the rears--model # F4-BE5-6242-H5. Unable to wait for them to get the fronts I will be fully reimbursed for the front 5125's minus a 5% restock fee.

I then called 4WD (anticipating this last night I programmed their # into my phone ). I knew they had the front 5100's in stock so I ordered a set of those. Both companies have shipped the same afternoon & should arrive in 2-3 business days.

Upon getting home from work, I went to the UPS store & paid $30 something dollars--including the insurance value--to ship the four 5125's back to Allshocks. Those will arrive on Monday & I should see the credit back to my account.

So I will not be installing everything this weekend most likely; unless the tracking # shows for a Saturday delivery. Therefore, I will cancel the stick welder I was going to rent Friday evening & try it again the following weekend. Then it will be a busy final work week before the trip to Flat Nasty dialing every thing in (bump stops, limit straps, etc.) & ordering/installing a new rear ds from Tom Woods.

Thanks all for your fast responses & input

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
but it also makes your droop one inch longer.
i need to get me some of that! HEYOOO!!

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
In Borat speak 'Ve'ery Niiiice!

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
that means you get to slow down even more before running over the speed bump at the grocery store....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bilstein , 5125 , bar pin , solution , fix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.