Bilstein and other popular Shocks Length List for TJ's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bilstein and other popular Shocks Length List for TJ's

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bilstein and other popular Shocks Length List for TJ's

K guys, I don't have all these memorized and My source for the Bil's is no longer available not to mention I can't find my old notebook... We do have Q-tec to refer to on lengths, but I'm finding it's not very dependable for correct lengths.

Fronts measure from the stem washer to the center of the bushing

Rears measure from bushing center to bushing center

what I'm asking now is to get posts of accurate collapsed/extended measurments of new/used shocks w/part #'s, I'll edit, or a mod can edit the first post containing the correct info. Do Not post measurements you find in a chart please.

I happen to have these on hand with correct measurements....
so lets git to measurin' and I'd like to have accurate measurements of the RC 2.2 shocks w/part #'s as well....

STOCK

Front 13"/20.5"
Rear 12.2"/19.2"

Bilstein 5100's

BE52731 24/14.8" 9.25" travel 1" bumpstop requirement
BE52732 23/14.5 8.5" travel 2.5" or more bumpstop.
BE5-6242-H5 15 3/4" collapsed / 24 7/8" extended (wheeling98TJ)

OME

OME N66 22.25/13.25" 9.25" travel stock bumpstop length
OME N67 22 /13.25" 8.75" travel 1.25" bumpstop requirement
OME N66L 26.5/15.5" 11" travel 2" bumpstop requirement
OME N67L 24.5/14.5" 10 travel 2.5" or more bumpstop requirement

not to get off track here, but does anyone see the reason I prefer the ome's over bilstein's now for some applications from the measurements.....?

Rancho
RS999012 32 3/8"-19 1/8" I use these for outboard rear mounts on the tj's

other apps....
Ram 2500
F4-BE5-F255-HO 30/19.5" stem/eye

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is from a chart, but I verified when installing. I used these in the rear.
BE5-6250-H5 14in travel: 20.75" collapsed, 34.9" Extended

Bilstein (<--correct spelling) online chart:
eshocks.com: Off-Road Shocks: Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is there any way we can get some of the rough country 2.2 shock lengths for comparisons

im also considering using a stock jk shock in the rear of mine and I currently have 2.5" springs, they measure 14.75 collapsed and 23.25 extended

also I heard it through the grapevine that ome's are rebranded monroe sensatracs, is this pure bs or true? If it is true is there any information on using these in lifted/longer applications
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump.... I actually do have a rear pair of RC LONG shocks floating around here I can measure..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fox 2.0 remote reservoir 12 inch travel shock (not sure about p/n): 33in extended, 20 in compressed
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bilstein 5100 4" lift shocks for the rear
Part # BE5-6242-H5

15 3/4" collapsed / 24 7/8" extended

I took these measurements myself.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
jmauld
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post

Bilstein 5100's

BE52731 24/14.8" 9.25" travel 1" bumpstop requirement
BE52732 23/14.5 8.5" travel 2.5" or more bumpstop.
Is the 1" bumpstop required, regardless of your lift height?

It looks like these would go well with a 2" lift kit?
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
Is the 1" bumpstop required, regardless of your lift height?

It looks like these would go well with a 2" lift kit?
lift height does NOT matter.... it's all about the collapsed shock length.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
lift height does NOT matter.... it's all about the collapsed shock length.
I'm a bit confused on this.... I guess a spring lift could still collapse to stock level, but wouldn't a spacer lift make a difference? (2" spacers would allow for a shock that is 2" longer when compressed?). If not, please explain.......I've read a lot of your posts and trust your experience.
My01Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My01Sahara View Post
I'm a bit confused on this.... I guess a spring lift could still collapse to stock level, but wouldn't a spacer lift make a difference? (2" pucks would allow for a shock that is 2" longer when compressed?). If not, please explain.......I've read a lot of your posts and trust your experience.
2" spacer on top of springs:
if you do not put 2" BS extensions you will overcompress your COIL SPRINGS until coil bind (bump stopping as well ) ... or until shock bottoms out whatever comes first.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
if you do not put 2" BS extensions you will overcompress your COIL SPRINGS until coil bind (bump stopping as well ) ... or until shock bottoms out whatever comes first.
I disagree, the bump stop could be moved down in relationship to the spring to make room for an excessively longer shock, but according to mudb8's earlier post on shock length and tire size, he states that a 2" bb with 22.5 shocks and 31's allows more uptravel (because the spring can compress further due to additional tire clearance) and gives more down travel due to the longer shock.

I think if a shock that's 2" longer than stock when compressed is used, then a BS extension is needed to keep the shock from overcompressing. mudb8 said that lift height does NOT matter, but I'm thinking that it does in regards to SPACER LIFT w/ BS exentension (and that may be what he means, that the BS is needed regardless of lift). Of course, if you use a shock that is 2" longer when compressed and have to use a 2" BS extension, then you didn't gain a thing on the up travel, but you could gain more down travel because of the longer shock, and you could use tires that were larger.

In my mind the gain from spacer could be used for 1) additional uptravel clearance for the same tire used prior to lift or 2) a longer shock when used with a BS extension which could also allow a larger tire.

Again, I may be thinking about this a$$backwards. But I just put 31's on my stock TJ and was thinking about going with 2" BB and possibly the N66 / N67 or N66L/N67L combo to gain suspension travel.
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used the Rancho 9000s with my 2" BDS springs. The numbers below are from Ranchos chart. I do not recall if I double checked the measurements when I installed them or not. But I believe them to be accurate. My Rubicon required a 1" bumpstop in back and a 1 1/4" bumpstop in front for these shocks. As I recall, this bumpstop allowed about 3/8" of shaft to show when the Jeep is sitting on the bumpstops without springs. The front shock is great. The rear shock could use more rebound damping with my spring selection.

Front #999239 Compressed = 14.5 Extended = 23.125

Rear #999241 Compressed = 13.625 Extended = 20.875
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I mostly use bilstein 7100's for anything non coilover. There are lots of length options.

Lengths dont really matter. Valving does.

Using an OME shock just because of its length is backwards. OME shocks are terrible.

If someone is into stuff like custom outboarding, the mounts should be built around the shock, not the other way around.

Just my 2 cents
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My01Sahara View Post
I'm a bit confused on this.... I guess a spring lift could still collapse to stock level, but wouldn't a spacer lift make a difference? (2" spacers would allow for a shock that is 2" longer when compressed?). If not, please explain.......I've read a lot of your posts and trust your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
1.75" (AKA 2" BB) spacers on top of stock or 2.5" springs does not overcompress the springs as popular belief by many including companies that push the sale of lift springs say they do, I have put them on a bench mounted spring compressor and measured many many different springs just to see how far they can be taken before they coil bind. Using a 2" BB or 2.5" springs allows the use of longer shocks, longer shocks require bumpstop extension due to the longer collapsed length when installed in the factory mounts. We can bumpstop them to the moon with the Best riding, longest travel and most expensive shock on the planet and end up with the worst ride ever know to man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post
I mostly use bilstein 7100's for anything non coilover. There are lots of length options.
I rarely use bilsteins however I do like the ride and quality they offer, the reason is how easy they are to damage. All it takes is the slightest ding from a rock flung out of a tire, tire chains/cable/ a run over winch cable, obstacles, most comonly on tj/lj's.... unrelocated rear lower mounts so the shock can clear the spring/spring buckets/exhaust and the piston/valve hangs up on the ding.... most other brand shocks can take a beating to the outer shell and keep on working, bilstein will not.

Now this is a perfectly good but junked shock, my finger is pointing at the ding that has the shock litterally stuck...

Quote:
Lengths dont really matter. Valving does.
length matters most when the shock is being installed in factory mounting locations.... Valving always needs to be considered but even a stiff shock will ride decent with a good balance of up/down travel.

Quote:
Using an OME shock just because of its length is backwards. OME shocks are terrible.
I agree the OME isn't a real good Off Road shock, for a daily driver/weekend warrior, it's one of the better choices IMO.

I'll say it again and again, length is the most important factor for ride quality to obtain balanced up and down travel when used in factory shock mounts. Droop gets you nowhere when the coils are are rolling down the obstacle you just tried to climb.... Use limiting straps or coil retainers then??? well if you go there with straps/retainers you may as well use the proper length shocks since all that droop the long shock has just won't be used and will ride like a buckboard from bottoming out or banging on the bumpstop extensions.

Quote:
If someone is into stuff like custom outboarding, the mounts should be built around the shock, not the other way around.

Just my 2 cents
Now that is exactly right...

but most still need to know what shock lengths are available and can be used with specific mounts that can be purchased, very few of us like you and me will take the time to fabricate our own mounts, some aren't long enough for balanced travel and we must keep in mind getting carried away beyond 6-7" down travel with a 4" lift and flat or nearly flat belly skid is gonna destroy the CV joint on the TJ/LJ's running close to the stock wheel base. you end up with an implement CV shaft that you get to stop and grease every 100 miles.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=mudb8;10899707]
I'll say it again and again, length is the most important factor for ride quality to obtain balanced up and down travel when used in factory shock mounts. Droop gets you nowhere when the coils are are rolling down the obstacle you just tried to climb.... Use limiting straps or coil retainers then??? well if you go there with straps/retainers you may as well use the proper length shocks since all that droop the long shock has just won't be used and will ride like a buckboard from bottoming out or banging on the bumpstop extensions.
QUOTE]

Thanks mudb8, now you're touching on what I was thinking about doing, and the reason why the actual lengths matter. I'm running 31's w/ 4" of backspacing and NO lift. So no clearance problems. What I want to accomplish is the most balanced travel (from factory location) that I can with a 2" spacer lift. If I go with the N66 and no BS extension, then I gain 1.75" of travel, but it's all up top (not balanced). It probably is a nice ride but not a major travel gain and not in both directions. If I were to go with N66L's and a 2" BS, then I gain 3.5" of potential travel, but the way I'm figuring the use of the travel is I'll have no gain in up travel (2" spacer less 2" BS ext) and gain the extra 3.5" of down travel. Again, probably not ideal.

In fact, the reality of it is, regardless of what shock you use the stock shock mounting location is trully the limiting factor in gaining balanced travel. So, for someone who runs a 2" spacer lift and 31's, which of these two setups is going to provide the better all around performance on and offroad?: 1) the N66 with a gain of 1.75" of uptravel and no real gain down, or 2) the N66L with no gain in up travel but an extra 3.5" of down travel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.