Bilstein 5100 w/2.25" 4wc BB? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bilstein 5100 w/2.25" 4wc BB?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
AntonioAndolini
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bilstein 5100 w/2.25" 4wc BB?

Searched up and down the forums, couldn't find an answer, or perhaps there's no answer. Looks like I'm going to go with the 4wc 2.25" BB.

The 5100's seem the best fit for what I'm trying to do right now, after reading probably every darn thread here on shocks (RE Monotube too stiff, Sky Hydro's too soft/poor QC sometimes, etc. etc.).

So my question is:
- 5100's for 0-1" of lift?
- 5100's for 3" lift?
- Neither?

The old conventional wisdom seemed to have been "Bilstein doesn't make a 5100 for <3" lift, look HD or another brand", until they came out with the 0-1" 5100's.

BB's, at give-or-take 2" lift depending on the brand, fall square smack dab in the middle of the 1" top end for the one shock and the 3" bottom end for the other shock. Do I have no options? Use the 0-1", since some people ahve used stock shocks with BBs?

Thanks for any help. Looking to purchase at payday tomorrow

AntonioAndolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know the extended and collpased lengths of the Bilstein shocks you are considering?

If you can get this info, you can get a for sure answer.

I have never seen the specs on the 0-1" 5100 shocks.

The ones specified as fitting 3" of lift - do you have model numbers for those? I'm wondering if they are the same shocks that are often recommended for 4" of lift.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

well i just picked up bilstein 5100's for a 3" but the box says 4" on it, but im also running spacers so.....
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the bilstiens recommended for a 3" lift (check quadratec for the lengths; havn't measured myself to double check their numbers though), and I really wouldn't recommend them for a 2" lift. You won't have very much up travel.

Personally, I'd probably be looking at OME for something in the same price range and with a similar ride. Much better collapsed length for that application.
vohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
drivermod

I have the 4" lift (I don't remember part #'s) Bilsteins and they were too long for my 2.5 OME lift. Only had about 2.5" of up travel. The next size down worked perfect and gave me about 4" of up travel.
drivermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
AntonioAndolini
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Huh. Thanks to all of you.

Looking at the 2.25" 4wc BB, and all of the bad reviews re Skyjacker have me not feeling them. Also there were a number of bad reviews of the RE twin-tube, and twin tubes in general, and many people who use their TJ as a DD over 60-70% of the time or so seem to think the RE monos are too stiff.
AntonioAndolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
drivermod

I love how the Bilsteins ride.
drivermod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension , suspension lift , suspension set-up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.