Bikini top wont fit/clip into door surrounds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bikini top wont fit/clip into door surrounds

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
scrnnmssuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bikini top wont fit/clip into door surrounds

I just recently bought a best top bikini top for the jeep. I had a pair of door surrounds off a 98 sitting around. I wanted to eliminate the gap from the doors to the top, so i decided to put them on. It appears the top is to small across the jeep to fit. I can BARELY get them to snap in if i dont use the knobs to screw into the roll bar. Even then the top is pulling so hard onto the surrounds its pulls them towards the middle and is not sitting correctly. I even let the top sit our in the sun all day to get some more play or stretch out of it, but it didnt do much. I was thinking of maybe trimming the surrounds down but i dont think there is much to take off there. Im open to any suggestions.

Unread 12-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Checking the date on this post...OK today, Dec. 23rd. Please tell me, what does warm sunshine feel like?
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
scrnnmssuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Feels like 70 and sunday. Cant say i miss the east coast one bit or the snow.
Unread 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I want my bikini back on
mine stretches REAL tight too. I found that if I put half the insert in the front half of the door surround on one side then go to the other side and put the insert into the back half of the surround then slowly work them til there all the way in it works best. Sometimes it takes a pair of channel locks to kind of pinch it along the way, after you get it started, but be careful not to mar the fabric or crack the insert. Also (obviously) lift up on the surround while you're pulling down on the bikini.
Unread 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's the hardest part of the install. I use a flat-head screwdriver to help push the plastic tabs in. Let it sit out in the sun for about an hour to loosen up a bit.
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was hard at first(the top that is!) but after a couple of days in the sun it was alot easier... but mine is rarely off... the blazing South FL sun is a bit to much on the top of my noggin! live in the NE for most of my life... do not miss the snow...and have not had the doors on in weeks! Merry Christmas!

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Wloch248
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a factory mopar bikini top that I haven't been able to strech all the way across either. I am going to trim just a hair off the surrounds when it gets warmer.
Wloch248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wloch248 View Post
I have a factory mopar bikini top that I haven't been able to strech all the way across either. I am going to trim just a hair off the surrounds when it gets warmer.
Really? I have no problem with my Mopar bikini top. Do you let it sit in the sun for a while first?
Unread 12-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
scrnnmssuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey is there a difference in tops with wise between the newer tj. I have a 97 and the top was bought used off craigslist. Is it possible the 03+ tj's have a narrower top then my 97 would have.
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Dmoriarty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This worked for me - start at the front corner on either the passenger or driver side(doesn't matter which), dont put it in more than half way, go to the other side and put the back corner in and get it to go as far as you can. Then go to the original side and finish. It helps to have someone hold the first corner in when you go to do the other side.
Unread 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Wloch248
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek View Post
Really? I have no problem with my Mopar bikini top. Do you let it sit in the sun for a while first?
I just got it while it was a little cold this fall and it hasn't been warm or sunny enough since.

I tried to do one side partially then the other side and it wasn't even close.

I would rip/break it if I tried to use vice grips and it isn't even nearly close enough for me to do anything with a screwdriver.
Wloch248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnnmssuck View Post
hey is there a difference in tops with wise between the newer tj. I have a 97 and the top was bought used off craigslist. Is it possible the 03+ tj's have a narrower top then my 97 would have.
nope. otherwise my 2001 softop would be to tight to fit on my 05
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The tops are made from denim. They will stretch a little after being installed and they are a lot easier to put on when it is hot outside.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.