Bikini Top Questions - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bikini Top Questions

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
BlackWidow TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
rain comes right off and lands on my side, where as the standard soft top drips just outside of the jeep.

Dave aka Ghan
All you have to do is run the door surronds with the bikini top to eliminate that problem.

Unread 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #32
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
Actually it is the other way around unless I misread the instructions. The velcro straps are used to tighten up the material when you do use the door surrounds to tighten up all that extra material. They tuck inside when not.
Correct. Let's see if I can make this easier to understand in case I'm not describing it right.

The problem with the top is the distance from the header channel to the door surround tab is too long.

Pop in the header tab, tighten per instructions (with straps etc.), put in door surround tabs, continue tightening. This still leaves the bunched up material on the top between the header channel and the door surround. So, I really tighten the velcro straps and it still looks like homemade sin.

From a function standpoint, this additional material means that the top can't be pulled real tight at the windshield corners.

/ = windshield

*= beginning of door surround

---= top material

My problem (viewed from side profile):

Actual distance between windshield header and door surround:
/----*

Amount of material in the top to cover that distance:
/------*

What I end up with between the header and surround:
/\/\/\/\

What velcro straps do:
/k\/k\

How I feel about it:
$%#@&*%!

Am I doin it wrong?
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
BlackWidow TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just put my door sorrounds back on a few minutes ago. It took about a hour to stetch the top into submission, however I can bounce a quarter off the damn thing!
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #34
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A real pain in the *** getting the plastic strip into the windshield channel at first.It kept poping out of channel.If you are wondering why there is excess materal on driver side & passenger side up front on top it suppose to be like that when you use factory softtop gear.Its so it will work when you take the hard top off not using factory softtop gear.I love it but you will get wet in a down pour.I also got the wrap around windjammer & cover in back.Looks awesome.
mikesbeachhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #35
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

i picked one up today with door surrounds! i like it
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I have an update to my earlier post in which I said I had just installed the bikini safari on my LJ. This afternoon I had a dentist appt that required a 15 mile trip down the freeway.

At anything over 40 mph it flaps around like crazy and on the freeway, looking in the rearview mirror it looks like the sail on a huge sailboat. As someone else said I could bounce a quarter off it initially but 5 minutes on the freeway took care of that. I could see it being useful on a wheelin' trip but the problem is you have to get there putting up with this annoying top.

I'll be returning it tomorrow. I prefer the soft top minus the windows thank you. Chalk this one up to experience. Bestop can have this one back.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #37
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
Ok, so I have an update to my earlier post in which I said I had just installed the bikini safari on my LJ. This afternoon I had a dentist appt that required a 15 mile trip down the freeway.

At anything over 40 mph it flaps around like crazy and on the freeway, looking in the rearview mirror it looks like the sail on a huge sailboat. As someone else said I could bounce a quarter off it initially but 5 minutes on the freeway took care of that. I could see it being useful on a wheelin' trip but the problem is you have to get there putting up with this annoying top.

I'll be returning it tomorrow. I prefer the soft top minus the windows thank you. Chalk this one up to experience. Bestop can have this one back.
Oh man. Sorry to hear that. A guy at my local 4x4 shop actually warned me of this issue with the Safari and told me to get the Bikini instead, but I haven't notice any excessive flapping with mine. Maybe your top doesn't fit as tight or wasn't tight enough? Though, my RockHard header bars do make the Safari top fit tighter than it would without. The way I have my Safari setup it makes less windnoise than the stock top all together.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #38
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
i picked one up today with door surrounds! i like it
Pics or it didn't happen!
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #39
longbluerubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Glockster, they do tend to stretch, particularly in the sun, and you need to retighten them a few times, and I ended up using different straps to keep the back lip tighter against the side rollbars so it flaps yes. Still have a little flap but not too bad, get used to it real fast and as said before its quieter than the softtop. Definitely like running it better than the softtop in the summers.
1" BL, JKS adj front & rear trackbars, JKS discos
33" BFG A/T
longbluerubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #40
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

sorry for the crappy cell pic, but thats it!
img_0022.jpg  
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #41
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
Correct. Let's see if I can make this easier to understand in case I'm not describing it right.

The problem with the top is the distance from the header channel to the door surround tab is too long.

Pop in the header tab, tighten per instructions (with straps etc.), put in door surround tabs, continue tightening. This still leaves the bunched up material on the top between the header channel and the door surround. So, I really tighten the velcro straps and it still looks like homemade sin.

From a function standpoint, this additional material means that the top can't be pulled real tight at the windshield corners.

/ = windshield

*= beginning of door surround

---= top material

My problem (viewed from side profile):

Actual distance between windshield header and door surround:
/----*

Amount of material in the top to cover that distance:
/------*

What I end up with between the header and surround:
/\/\/\/\

What velcro straps do:
/k\/k\

How I feel about it:
$%#@&*%!

Am I doin it wrong?

you have to fold the area with the Velcro strips like the corners of a gift package. fold in down, then pull the bottom/inside velcro strap then fold the top velcro strap back and tighten.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #42
BlackMoparRubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Bestop Bikini with no-drill header. Love it, been on since February, with no doors, maybe get a little wet in the rain, but not too bad. Never had it out in a serious downpour, but I like it better than the factory soft top. I'm on the highway everyday and mine barely flaps, or at least it's not noticeable.
BlackMoparRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , bikini top , safari top , summer top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.