Bikini Top Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bikini Top Questions

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #16
melcrim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You definitely need door surrounds or you will get soaked in the rain. Like someone else posted it's not the best option for a DD. It leaves the jeep totally open and if you ever need to have a passenger in the back seat they will be totally exposed and windblown. I have a safari top & I love it. I run it as soon as it gets warm enough in the spring and until I can't stand the cold anymore. I picked up a used softtop last fall and thought I wouldn't run the safari anymore but the soft top was such a pain with all the zippers and other hardware that I but the safari back on. You do need to be aware of the weather if you don't have a garage, my jeep has gotten soaked a few times by unexpected overnight rain. I usually just bungee a tarp over it and that keeps it dry.

melcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #17
Cutch
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My plan is to get a Mopar Sun Bonnet (hey that's what they call it ....not me)...it's the one that has the windshield clamps like a stock soft top...as I hear that people find installing the safari top from Bestop a pain at times....then I will get a full Bestop Safari top and have it sewn on to the Mopar Sun Bonnet....I just picked up the Mopar one yesterday but have to return it as it wasn't the model for the door surrounds
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got a bestop safari top and I love it. It gives you the option to use your door sorrounds which is nice for colder days or rain. But like with any top, just don't buy a cheap one, get a bestop brand.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #19
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Love my Safari. Really cools things down taking the sun out of the equation. With the no-drill header it doesn't have any leaks up front even in the worst of downpours. I use my door surrounds as well. My sports cage and grab handles would get in the way without the use of the door surrounds.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #20
Red2001sport

I use one

I have a best top bikini top. Its my daily Driver. I put it on May first and put the hardtop back on October 1st no matter what! It will get wet inside. I have pulled my carpet and rhinolined the floor so its no big deal to me. I drive with the doors off every day and when there is a threat of rain i throw a best top cover on. If im driving with the top on and the doors off I dont get too wet unless im stopped for an extended period of time. The worst part is when the raind pools up on top and you go to drive it and the water empties out the side on top of you. But you know how it goes "only in a jeep"
Red2001sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
Just wondering you likes them.. If you have one give some likes/dislikes. Im thinking about getting one! Anything will help thanks.
I run a Bikini, wind jammer and duster combo. And i love it. the seat belt can get a little wet with a big thunder storm shower.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #22
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
I've got a besttop bikini top.

I use door surrounds.

It's got to be the poorest fitting POS I've ever put on the jeep (specifically at the bolt on header). And yes, it's strapped in tight, directions were followed.

That being said, it does keep the driver and passenger much cooler in the hot summer (we're seeing 105 heat index). I use mine in conjunction with the CRES to keep the dogs from jumping out.
thats the exact same set up i run. i actually had one of the header nutserts spin on me. i was able to get it off and fixed. just be careful how much you tighten the top header down.

i prefer being naked, but when its hot out, a little shade makes all the difference.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #23
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought one last weekend from 4 wheel parts. They were running a special. Buy the top and the windshield channel was free! $104 for the LJ model.

Just like the picture of the black LJ rubi a few posts back. I don't like the way they sewed the extra material in where the top of the door meets the windshield, but it is what it is. Fits everywhere else gutandtight.

Took a nice warm day to get the plastic piece into the door surrounds. Definitely prefer them tucked into the surrounds.

Glockster's Rubihara Build

Last edited by glockster; 07-23-2010 at 09:19 AM..
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
thats the exact same set up i run. i actually had one of the header nutserts spin on me. i was able to get it off and fixed. just be careful how much you tighten the top header down.

i prefer being naked, but when its hot out, a little shade makes all the difference.
Wondering if you have that bunched up material between the header and where it slips into the door surround?

They provide the velcro straps in that area, but they don't help all that much.

fwiw, Mine doesn't leak (no drill/bolt on header, besttop bikini)
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #25
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
Wondering if you have that bunched up material between the header and where it slips into the door surround?

They provide the velcro straps in that area, but they don't help all that much.

fwiw, Mine doesn't leak (no drill/bolt on header, besttop bikini)
You can fold the "extra" material over two or three times inside, just on top of the door surround. lay it as flat as possible then tuck in the tab into the door surround. still bulges up a very small amount on top of the hand screws that hold the surround on. or if you arent ever going to us the bikini top with out the door surrounds you can cut the extra material off. IIRC the velco straps are present to use the top w/out the door surround.

mine leaks a small amount at the very front of the door surround where it meets the windshield. but if its raining and all i have on is the bikini top, i have bigger problems. i use a tarp to cover the cab when it rains on the jeep. cheaper than a rain cover, uses 4 bungee cords. two down to the front control arm mounts. and two in the back.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

i run the safari, wrap around wind jammer, and duster year round (actually sold my soft top this spring because it hasnt left the garage for two years)

it leaks around the b pillar and down into the seat belt, but it doesnt bother me. I can def see where it would bother some, but to me, the increased visibility, coolness in the summer sun, and better heat in the winter is worth a little water in the floor board... thats why theres no carept...
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #27
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
You can fold the "extra" material over two or three times inside, just on top of the door surround. lay it as flat as possible then tuck in the tab into the door surround. still bulges up a very small amount on top of the hand screws that hold the surround on. or if you arent ever going to us the bikini top with out the door surrounds you can cut the extra material off. IIRC the velco straps are present to use the top w/out the door surround.
mine leaks a small amount at the very front of the door surround where it meets the windshield. but if its raining and all i have on is the bikini top, i have bigger problems. i use a tarp to cover the cab when it rains on the jeep. cheaper than a rain cover, uses 4 bungee cords. two down to the front control arm mounts. and two in the back.
Actually it is the other way around unless I misread the instructions. The velcro straps are used to tighten up the material when you do use the door surrounds to tighten up all that extra material. They tuck inside when not.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the safari top with full doors and use the door surrounds. It will keep the people in the front seats dry even going down the highway during a storm. The back seats get no protection at all. In fact the safari just acts as a funnel and dumps it directly on the back seat. Wind noise and the flapping of the top are tolerable because of all the open air! Have to take the good with the bad...
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run a bikini top with door surrounds I keep my soft uppers behind the rear seat. So if I get caught in an unexpected rain I can put them on and keep the road splash off of the front occupants. As for the rear well it is going to get wet the top will dump in/on the back seat. I store my jeep in out of the weather. I have found a very good, alibit red-neck, solution for bikini top flapping see the link below
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bi...pping-1053310/
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #30
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

huh thats weird about the safari top.

i have driven in some bad summer storms and the rear typically stays pretty dry. guess you have to be driving a certain speed.

A Hokie build

Tags
bestop , bikini top , safari top , summer top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.