Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bikini Top + Door Surrounds = Frustration

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  PSUSahara 
#1 ·
I've run a bikini top for 3 summers in a row. I've since gotten tired of getting wet, and picked up a deal on door surrounds. :cool:

Today I installed the surrounds, and went about installing the bikini top. :brickwall

First off - My slick speaker-bar-in-front-of-the-roll-bar mod isn't very slick with door surrounds. A little grinder action and that's taken care of. :rolleyes:

Ok, so then the surrounds are installed, the soundbar works. time for the bikini.

snug up the straps a little bit, slide in the front, and clip in the drivers side into the surrounds. switch to the passenger side.... its missing about 2 inches of material. or so it seems. I can't clip in the plastic into the surrounds. :confused:

So, i figure that the soundbar is what's causing the problem, more to go around... you know? Take the soundbar out. Same deal. :eek:

It's 68 degrees outside... so maybe it's not quite warm enough. I'm hoping on of you reads this and says: 'Hey LJ, you forgot to _____'. :D

lj

See less See more
#2 ·
Some bikinis are made for only running without door surrounds. I just sold my older no-surround bikini after getting a BesTop one that uses either the surrounds or can be used without. Sucks to find out about that in such a manner.

But now that you have the soundbar flipped, you can weld on some cool CJ/YJ-style angled rear roll bars!!

#5 ·
When Bestop said 72 degrees, they meant it. The first time is always a PITA. Let the top sit in the sun for a half hour, then get a buddy to help you stretch it. Once its on leave it there for a week. It will get easier once its stretched.

#6 ·
I'm running the same set-up and have not had issues?
I loosened the door surrounds and bent the soundbar ends in slightly and they fit without grinding.
I did have to pull like a sum ***** when I put the bikini on the first time even in 80+ degree direct sun. I remember stopping and looking at it 10 or so times thinking "crap, I'll never get this on".

#8 ·
i just did mine a couple weeks ago in 60ish weather and i fought like hell with it. hanging down like a monkey on the bikini side trying to stretch that lip over. you'll get it. the warmer the easier. stomach muscles were sore for 2 days after that .

#10 ·
I had to crankt he heat in my garage to 80 degrees to get mine on the first time. Like stated before, dont tighten the straps until you have the clips in the surrounds. Good luck!

#13 ·
I had all the same issues. It took me a while but with my college educated brain I told my self I could figure it out lol. I ended up putting one side sinde for the door surround and then putting the passenger side on the door surround but not while it was on the jeep, just lose in my hands. I then pushed up and got the surround in the hole and it was in. I could not how ever, put the spinning knobs through the roll bar since it was so tight. But, it was so effn tight that it held the surround in pace with out any movent. Fun times, it gets easier after its been on a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.