Bike Rack for Jeep Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bike Rack for Jeep Wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bike Rack for Jeep Wrangler

Hello, Can anyone recommend the best make / model tire carrier for a Wrangler. It must be able to hold 2 bikes and work with a 2" receiver hitch. Looking for something durable and easy to use.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
TJ on the Rocks

Here's what I have . The THULE Trialblazer . It fits into a 2" receiver and it completely swings out of the way on its own hinge to still allow You to fully open the tailgate on Your Wrangler SEE IT HERE

Though a little pricey , it's built VERY well
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
cmorganf64
1999 WJ 

Hey!

I was just going to post that I had a bike rack for sale. Its for a smaller than 2" hitch but I have the 2inch adapter. I used it with my Mazda3 after I installed a hidden hitch. (1 1/4" I believe)

Its great. It holds 2 bikes by the tires, not the middle bars. The bikes rest on the rack and 2 hooks grip the frames. Its great, but I have a trailer Im finishing up with and I cant pull the trailer and have the rack. No swaying, no bouncing, no need for adapters to make the womans bike fit, etc. Loved it. Used it for 1 summer (every-other- weekend) and 1 time this year.

Im near Smithfield (30 minutes east of Raleigh).

Its just like this one (really, identical) http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411
Mine is a coleman brand, but they are made at the same place.

Let me know if you are intested. Its in great (like new) shape.

I loved the rack but Ill have a bike rack on the top of my trailer when I m finished.

Chris
cmorganf64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chris,

I just sent you a PM. Please check it out and send an email with details. This unit will work with a Jeep with the spare tire mounted up, right?

Thanks!
John

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
cmorganf64
1999 WJ 

bike racks

The rack fits great with the spare. The rack comes out of the back and goes up a little. I used it to haul 2 Mtn Bikes. There is plenty of room with the bikes. The rack folds up (from the side) so that you only have a vertical rack if the bikes are off.

Chris
cmorganf64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Sandyfeet5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

spare-me

Thule makes a rack called "Spare Me" that attaches to the spare tire carrier. If you want to keep the hitch open its a good rack. I haul 2 mtn. bikes on it and leave it on all summer. Just another option. Can often find one on ebay.
Unread 04-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

John, come over and we'll weld you a rack. I've probably got enough steel for a bike rack.
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
voigtrobert

Looks like you've already received plenty of good answers. I like the style that holds the bikes by the wheels, ane have been using the Hollywood Sport Rider. You can see it at: http://www.hollywoodracks.com/2&3.htm#sportrider . Some of their more expensive models will completely swing away to allow access to the rear door.. This one swings down. It'll fit a 2" receiver with the standard adapter that is shipped with it.
Unread 04-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
jtpaintball70

Just so I don't clutter up the forum with another question like this, do the spare tire mounted racks still allow the spare to stay mounted as well?
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.