bigger tires bigger brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bigger tires bigger brakes?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

bigger tires bigger brakes?

If i upgrade from my 31 bfg ats to 33 bfg at's other than gearing will i need bigger brakes?

APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

No, I wouldn't think so. But, if you went above 33's you will.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

33s are the really the cut off point, for not needing bigger brakes. If you need to replace the brakes I would look at some centic rotors, and EBC yellow stuff brake pads though.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It depends on your Jeep.I upgraded to Centric rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads and they were much better than stock.My 33's were fine on stock brakes.My 98' sucked with 35's and stock brakes and my 03' brakes work fine with 35's.It's all up to you and how your Jeep works.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
tulman22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run 35s on my stock brakes and they are working fine.
Will be upgrading once I do need a brake job though.
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

my rotors and pads are shot so im trying to figure out if i can knock on bigger brakes a 1" bl on top of my rc 2.5 and 33 bfg ats on soft 8's and the jks mml and jks discos
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're replacing them anyway, get the Centric Premium rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads as recommended by Boogie. With 33s you're probably "OK" without the upgrade, but if you get the upgrade you won't be sorry.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
ImNotStuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When going from stock to 33's there was one hell of a difference in stopping time. They worked fine for easy driving but if you have to stop fast you will notice the extra 30 feet it takes to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED99 View Post
I really have nothing in common with majority of you losers to be honest with you, is there an avator in here??? I would love to be deleted from Jeepforum as I drive an Audi now. Thank you and goodbye...
ImNotStuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.