Big Yellow Brick Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Big Yellow Brick Build Thread

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks mil! It's a slow process but, what the heck, I'll have it for years so there's no rush :-)

Unread 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lucky.. i could have gotten a rubicon for the price of my jeep! Pisses me off to this day! Heres my LJ

WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice lookin' rig dude! I like the PSC / Genright combo you've got going there.
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love the build. I really like the bumper design with 3 receivers. We should get together since I live here in cumming and have a welder. I also have been buying metal from Steve at flex fab. Really nice to deal with and he said he could roll the meatal for my body armor. Hit me up.
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have a great looking rig! Can't wait to see more of it
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #21
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick View Post
I love the build. I really like the bumper design with 3 receivers. We should get together since I live here in cumming and have a welder. I also have been buying metal from Steve at flex fab. Really nice to deal with and he said he could roll the meatal for my body armor. Hit me up.
Thanks Tick. I'm still disappointed that I wasn't able to have that one built. I tried a couple of places around town with no luck. I love the Besrk bumper, though, and if I decide to do anything that would have used the extra receivers I can always buy Jerry (jer494) a pizza, ask nicely & get out the grinder :-)
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #22
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGetter01 View Post
You have a great looking rig! Can't wait to see more of it
Thanks for the compliment! Gotta love those yellow Jeeps! You'll see a little bit more soon. If all goes well I'm going to pickup a 2" BDS Monday. Hopefully we can get it installed on an upcoming weekend. After that I'm back to little things until Savvy's tummy tuck hits the market. The little things again until it's time for flat fenders & 35's.
Unread 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A Growth Spurt

On MLK Day the fine folks for whom I work were closed but, as it turns out, Southern Offroad were on the job. After sleeping late & paying a few bills I headed their way and picked up the BDS 2" lift I've been saving my pennies for. It sat in my garage for the rest of the week but after my son's basketball game Saturday afternoon I headed over to Jerry's Garage & we broke out the tools.

Jerry was recovering from the flu or strep or something similarly evil so he wasn't in any good shape to be wielding power tools. Being two years my senior, therefore, he assumed a mentor role and proceeded to instruct me in the best course of action. Thus armed with tools, leadership and a good dose of common sense I dug into the lift.

I should point out now that this was my first excursion into this type of exercise. Those of you who are similarly new may recognize the anxiety I felt over pulling important parts off of my daily driver. While a healthy fear will (generally) keep you from doing anything stupid, it shouldn't stop you from taking on this particular job. There's little room for error & plenty of time to fix any mistakes along the way if you start early. I wouldn't, for instance, do it on a Sunday afternoon if you have to be at work early Monday. We started around 3PM and I got home about 11PM because we took a couple of detours early in the process and didn't get in a hurry anywhere along the way.

So... we started on the passenger front corner. That one took us about two hours. (I'll read this a few months from now and be embarrassed over that admission...) Here's a hint: place your coil spring compressors nuts up and shaft down with one in front & one in back as close to 180* apart as possible. We wasted most of the two hours trying different configurations until we realized this one was optimal. This is the formula we finally settled on as ideal:
- remove the shock
- disconnect the sway bar at the axle end to give yourself more room around the front spring compressor
- place your coil spring compressors nuts up and shaft down with one in front & one in back as close to 180* apart as possible
- have two sockets handy, one for each compressor, because one *will* get stuck
After that, just crank down on 'em until you can work the coil out. If you have help, have them push down on the axle a bit and that's a couple of inches you won't have to compress. Once you have enough compression pull the coil out over the brake line (carefully) and towards you.

Once the coil is out and before you remove the compressors, measure the height you have. That's your target for the new spring. Now move the compressors off of the old and onto the new. We were able get the the new ones in with a little less compression because, by now, we were getting better at forcing the axle down for clearance.

If you have a new steering stabilizer install it before you install the new coil. You'll have more room this way. If you have a pitman puller it will make the process easier.

Once the stabilizer is in place and the coil has been seated pull the compressors off. Lifting the axle to compress the coil will make this easier and you won't have to back the compressors off quite so much. When that's done you're ready to install the shock. Follow the instructions & all will be well. You can reconnect the sway bar anywhere between removing the compressors & installing the shock. Just be sure you have everything back in place before putting the wheel back on.

As I said, the first corner took us a couple of hours. From what we learned there we were able to blow through the driver's front corner in about a half-hour. Without the axle end of the trackbar in the way here we had a lot more room and didn't need to disconnect the swaybar. We also made better use of the floor jack to make the coil compression easier.
- remove shock
- compress & remove coil
- compress & install coil
- install shock

With the front wrapped up we moved on to the back where we spent 45 & 30 minutes respectively. We were already on the driver's side so we started there. You'll notice a notch in the front of the bottom coil bucket. This is where the shaft of the front compressor will go. Again, nuts up & shaft down... The back one will pretend the shaft is going to hit the bucket but if you catch the right pair of coils it will angle out just enough to clear. You can also use the floor jack creatively if it gets wedged. On the first corner we removed the sway bar for that extra bit of clearance but it really wasn't necessary. We skipped that on the last corner with no ill effects.

With everything buttoned back up and torqued to spec (and then some in a few cases) we took a quick shakedown drive around the block. Before starting we had both driven roughly the same route to get that last minute feel for things. The shakedown didn't introduce any new moans, groans, rattles, clanks or vibrations. To be honest, I was concerned about driveline vibes that I've heard others experience. I think the longer rear shaft on the LJ eliminates those headaches or, at least, it did in my case. Everything is nice & tight and it rides much better. Before the lift it was annoyingly bouncy in some situations on my daily drive. It still bounces but now it snaps back into place and settles down rather than going on about things. Now it feels like a Jeep *should* feel.

Some statistics for those who find such things interesting:
The front shocks range is 16.5" to 25.5" measured eye-to-top
The rear shocks are 13.625" to 21.75" eye-to-eye
I gained exactly 2.5" of clearance at all four corners putting the top of the stock bumper at 26.5" and the bottom of the rear corners at 24.625.

Now that I have the tires out of the flares I'm back to the small things I've been putting off. The next major surgery will likely be a tummy tuck and probably include a small body lift, upper (and maybe lower) control arms and perhaps new driveshafts. The "maybe" and "perhaps" depend on how tucked we can get. After that I plan to settle down again for a while and slowly upgrade things for the day the 32's are replaced with 35's. No worries & no hurries, there's plenty of life left in the 'Brick and I'm content to take my time and enjoy the journey.

I don't have a photo from immediately before but here's what he looked like just after getting the 32" KM2's:

and here's what he looks like now:

These aren't the greatest shots (an iPhone in a dimly lit garage) but they give you an idea of the difference between the old and new gear:

Front:

Rear:

Last edited by RubiOR; 05-03-2010 at 09:50 PM..
RubiOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
jr06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Really like this storage box. You don't have any build specs for it that you will share, do you? Ever think of building them & selling them?
jr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #25
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be happy to take some detailed measurements for you tomorrow. I think it would be fun to build & sell Jeep stuff but I don't have the tools, materials, talent or time. Maybe that'll be my retirement gig in another 20 or 30 years :-)
Unread 05-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #26
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few minor things to update since the lift in January...

Finally got around to installing my Barnett cover on the front and Lube Locker gaskets front & rear. I'm glad to be done with RTV!

Stock on the left with RTV leftovers, new one on the right.

The view through the fill plug. Here you can see how tight things are with the stock Rubicon locker's air tube. I took a pile of measurements on the cover, the fill plug, the housing and the things sticking out. With the plug installed and torqued to spec you've got just about 1/8" or less between it and that tube. Do not overtighten!

Installed & ready to go to work!

Discovered that the breather tube on my transfer case was disconnected. Wha??? Also discovered that that strange noise coming from the drivetrain was the transfer case fussing at me because it was a half-quart low.

Installed a Cobra under the dash for trail rides. It's hard-wired to the battery with a 3A fuse under the hood. I used a two-conductor trailer wire connector on the CB end so that I can quickly unmount it and move it to lockable storage if necessary.

Whipped up some quick discos like this (Budget TJ Sway Bar Disconnects). It turns out that the clevis pins are exactly too large to go through the sleeve in the bushing. I opted to drill out the sleeve rather than grind the pin. That'll make it easier when / if I need to drop in the spare.

Also installed some 1" bumpstop extensions up front. With the discos in place I found that the front tires stuff just a bit too deeply into the fenders. That explains *that* particular noise... Oops.

And, last but not least, bought & installed a safari top. The soft top is now sitting in the garage where it will remain until the fall. I shoulda bought one of these last year!

BTW, the dimensions on the storage box are: 35" wide, 22" deep, 12" tall.
You could go taller or shorter as desired. If you're running without carpet on the fenders you could go an inch or more wider too. I still have that carpet but I have removed the bed carpet and pad. To avoid scratching the paint & making rust I sliced a piece of tubing and fit it over the leading edge where it rests on the raised areas of the bed. I also put a 1/4" strip of hardwood under the sides so that it doesn't slant towards the bumper. Alternatively, you could have the front edge cut to clear.
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #27
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another quick update...

There haven't been any serious mods lately. I'm waiting patiently for the folks at Savvy to produce some Under Armor that'll fit my rig before spending big money on other stuff. I'll do the gas tank skid at the same time and I suspect I'll need adjustable arms with the drive train tucked up that far.

What has been done:
- Installed a Cobra CB and Firestick antenna. It was a PITA to tune but I finally got it dialed in pretty good.
- Hacked up a Rugged Ridge velcro fire extinguisher mount so that it would handle my 10# extinguisher.
- Replaced the front calipers, rotors and pads after an unfortunate incident with some nasty mud. One of the calipers seized and ate itself between my son's school and my office so I had 'em the whole mess replaced. Went with the EBC greens and matching rotors. Yellows with Centrics were originally on the list but timing and funding have a way of changing ones plans.
- Replaced the front diff oil seals and added axle seals after leaking a fair amount of fluid out of the passenger side during my son's football practice. Though I have no proof, I blame the mud again :-/ BTW, the LubeLocker gasket looked good and is back in place for it's first reuse. I will monitor it for leaks. Also replaced the driver rear seal and bearing since it was oozing as well. That leaves the passenger rear for the future if it starts acting up.

Other than that it's been the usual maintenance. I have the OPDA on my list of things to inspect and attend to at some point. Right now, fingers crossed, it seems to be OK.
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #28
FlynG
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice write up...I was glad to find it today. My BDS 2" lift kit comes in tomorrow.

Do the 32" KM2s rub after the lift? Or just when disco'd?
I'm leaning towards going with that same setup on my LJ too.

Flyn G
FlynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #29
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi Flyn,

They only rub when disco'd. I added some 1" bumpstops to the top and now they're fine. Keeping those bumpstops and adding a 1.25" body lift I think I'll have room for 35s when the 32s wear out. I *may* need a small spring spacer, we'll see... I've been very happy with the BDS kit.
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #30
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the Savvy bodylift, you will not be dissapointed.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.