BFG M/T or Good Year MT/R - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BFG M/T or Good Year MT/R

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
RIPPN TJ
2005 WK 

BFG M/T or Good Year MT/R

Since I never got a reply to my other post I thought I'd try again. I'm going to take my stock Good Year Wrangler GSA's off tomorrow and trade them in towards a set of 31x10.5x15's for my 04 TJ Sport. I've had BFG M/T's in the 31x10.5x15 on an old Toyota pickup that I had and was very impressed with their trail manners on my local trails and they seemed to do well on road as well. I have no experience what so ever with the new Good Year MT/R's. What should I go with for a daily driver who likes to go through the mountains off roading or getting to my favorite hunting hot spot. I don't plan on any real rock crawling other than those rocks I've got to cross that are already on the trail but I will see the mud holes often enough to want to be able to get through them. I live in VA so you locals may know from past experience what tires work well around here. I'd like to try the Good Year MT/R's but past experience is saying get the BFG M/T's. Let me hear some oppinions.

Unread 01-19-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
RIPPN TJ
2005 WK 

I forgot to ask if I'll have any rubbing or clearance issues going from the 30x9.5x15 to the 31x10.5x15 with a completely stock 04 TJ. It'll be quite some time (unfortuneatly) before I install a lift so I'm going to run whatever tires I get for quite some time and I don't want to worry about hitting my flares or anything like that.
Unread 01-19-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Kris B Krunch
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you should be able to run 31x10.5's with the stock suspension just fine. You just might need to get the steering stops adjusted so that you don't rub at full turn. Some jeeps need it, some don't. Mine did when I had stock suspension and 31x10.5 BFG AT's
Warn xd9000i, 35x12.50 MT/R's, SYE/CV driveshaft.
8.8 with 4.56's front and back with an Aussie Locker up front. Poison Spyder HD steering upgrade.
Kris B Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2004, 02:04 AM   #4
Alan97TJSE

If you're going to be seeing a lot of thick gooey mud - the kind that likes to clog up tire treads, go with the BFG MTs. Based on what I've seen on the trail, the BFGs have an edge over the GYs in that kind of mud. The GY MT/Rs have a softer tread compound so they probably aren't going to last as long.
Alan97TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
blupupher

BFG MT for mud, little longer wear
GY MTR for rocks, little shorter wear.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.