BFG KM2s- 33/10.50/15 or 32.11.50/15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BFG KM2s- 33/10.50/15 or 32.11.50/15

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
ipodblue12
2004 TJ Wrangler 

BFG KM2s- 33/10.50/15 or 32.11.50/15

ok guys, so i have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler.
D44/D30 Combo-3.73 gears.
5 speed Manual.
I am getting a 2.25in. BB with Blisten Shocks and a 1.25 JKS BL
it is a daily driver and no serious offroad as in no flexing and no serious mud.
So the question is which size BFG KM2?
33-10.50-15:
-51 LBS
-32.8-OD

32-11.50-15
-49 LBS
-31.8-OD

Should i get the extra inch, less weight and narrower or less inch but wider and heavier?

ipodblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

According to the numbers below the 32's are lighter....but only by a few pounds so weight wouldn't be my deciding factor. In my own opinion I would go with 32's. I think 33's look a little cramped under a BB even with a BL. Yeah you can do it. But if it were mine I'd go with the 32's. It will help keep a little power with the smaller dia and keep some space under those fenders.

Trust me one day you will want to flex without rubbing your fender flares off.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
ecdriver
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similiar setup and I'm just put on the KM2 33x10.50's. Love them! Plenty of fender clearance, no rubbing issues. Then again, I'm not trying to go over the Grand Tetons either. Tires are mounted on OEM Ravines with 5.5 backspacing. No pics as of yet, working on that today.
ecdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodblue12 View Post
ok guys, so i have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler.
D44/D30 Combo-3.73 gears.
5 speed Manual.
I am getting a 2.25in. BB with Blisten Shocks and a 1.25 JKS BL
it is a daily driver and no serious offroad as in no flexing and no serious mud.
So the question is which size BFG KM2?
33-10.50-15:
-51 LBS
-32.8-OD

32-11.50-15
-49 LBS
-31.8-OD

Should i get the extra inch, less weight and narrower or less inch but wider and heavier?
It depends on what you want to do with the Jeep, if your in the snow a lot taller narrower tires will be better, if your going to be in mud wider is always nice. I think the 33x10.5 are cheaper.

For what I would do with the Jeep, I would go with 33x10.5

Just remember the taller the tire the less acceleration you will have, not that your going to notice much between a 32 or a 33.

The 2 tires are very similar, it doesn't sound like your going to do anything crazy with the jeep, doesn't sound like your going do disconnect the front sway bar, If you do go with the 33's I would suggest getting longer bumpstops.

The last thing to think about, if you have stock wheels, you will probably rub with anything over 10.5" wide.

Either way, KM2s are good tires, nice choice.
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

which tire would be better with 3.07's as far as driveability is concerned, I know neither would be ideal but a regear wont be in my budget for a while
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
which tire would be better with 3.07's as far as driveability is concerned, I know neither would be ideal but a regear wont be in my budget for a while
Probably not enough difference to matter but I would think 33x10.50's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thats what i would think too because of less tread actually being in contact with the road
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
spokanistan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OP, you said in the past your Jeep was your DD correct? If so I will reccommend BFG AT K/O's instead of the KM2 all together. Yes I know it's not the question you asked but I thought I would toss it out there anyhow
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you elaborate on why you are recommending a different tire? Someone in the future may come across this thread and ask the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanistan View Post
OP, you said in the past your Jeep was your DD correct? If so I will reccommend BFG AT K/O's instead of the KM2 all together. Yes I know it's not the question you asked but I thought I would toss it out there anyhow
rikkards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
spokanistan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Can you elaborate on why you are recommending a different tire? Someone in the future may come across this thread and ask the same question.
The OP said "it is a daily driver and no serious offroad as in no flexing and no serious mud."

For the vast majority of people who say that, and even for those who wont admit it but it is the truth: an aggressive AT tire is a far better choice than an MT in my opinion. Better gas mileage, better on road handling, breaking, accelerating, etc, due to tread pattern, weight, composite material, etc. (edit to add: and it's cheaper)

Just like where I live you see just an amazing number of ridiculously lifted full size trucks with gigantic mud tires that seldom if ever actually go off road, some of them are work trucks and you cannot get them to understand that a lowered truck is actually easier to lift things in and out of so stock makes a good compromise

On Jeep forums here and elsewhere bigger/heavier/stronger is not always better though there is no real point arguing it... so I just thought I would mention it. The OP might actually need the latest greates most expensive MT there is, he may just want the look, I dunno but from his description of his actual need a BFG AT would be a better tire imho.
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
nascar2496
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just a quick note, 3.07's suck. I have them in my jeep with 31x10.5 and it has no acceleration. i have to leave it in 4th gear on route 80 doing 70 or less to have any hope of maintaining speed.

My bro has 33x12.5 on his sport with 3.73's and its fine. he pulls on me going down route 80 in 5th gear and i cant touch him. his gas milage is better than mine cause he doenst have to be to hard on the throttle to accel or maintain speed.

Im NOT saying i race around but when its struggling to maintain speed there is something wrong there.
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I kno my jeep came with 30's and 3.07's so it already sucks
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar2496 View Post
Im NOT saying i race around but when its struggling to maintain speed there is something wrong there.
and your name is nascar? i don't believe you
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now that is a good answer
On a side note, (sorry for the threadjack) when I bought my Jeep, the PO had BFG ATs but they needed replacing and the dealer bought some Hercules MTs and replaced the 4 on the truck but left the spare as it had no tread wear. So I have 4 MTs and an AT.
The question I have is, if I ever have to use the spare, would it be an issue. The spare is the same size (31x10.5) but with the different tread pattern could there be problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanistan View Post
The OP said "it is a daily driver and no serious offroad as in no flexing and no serious mud."

For the vast majority of people who say that, and even for those who wont admit it but it is the truth: an aggressive AT tire is a far better choice than an MT in my opinion. Better gas mileage, better on road handling, breaking, accelerating, etc, due to tread pattern, weight, composite material, etc. (edit to add: and it's cheaper)

Just like where I live you see just an amazing number of ridiculously lifted full size trucks with gigantic mud tires that seldom if ever actually go off road, some of them are work trucks and you cannot get them to understand that a lowered truck is actually easier to lift things in and out of so stock makes a good compromise

On Jeep forums here and elsewhere bigger/heavier/stronger is not always better though there is no real point arguing it... so I just thought I would mention it. The OP might actually need the latest greates most expensive MT there is, he may just want the look, I dunno but from his description of his actual need a BFG AT would be a better tire imho.
rikkards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
spokanistan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
The question I have is, if I ever have to use the spare, would it be an issue. The spare is the same size (31x10.5) but with the different tread pattern could there be problems?
Not enough to worry about it, imho of course. I mean I would only use the spare as a replacement until I could get into town and have my usual tire repaired or replaced but I would feel comfortable with it even taking my time down off a mountain - though shed hunting here with ice and snow I will surely wish I had a stud I will just go super slow.

I'm currently running studded/siped 33X9.5 M+S tires and my spare is my BFG AT in 33X10.5 (the other 4 awaiting spring) and while not the ideal set up I have no doubts it will get me out of the woods and back into town without damaging anything at all so long as I am not stupid on the skinny pedal

OP, my apologies again for all the thread drifting

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.