between these two, the pros and cons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > between these two, the pros and cons

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

between these two, the pros and cons

Ok, i would like to do 35s for awhile and keep the stock 30/35 axles that came on the jeep and upgrade later to dana 60s (i will run 37s or bigger in a year or two with the aev conversion)...Well I am hung between full traction's 4" LA kit with one inch body lift and nth degree's 4.5 " SA lift that i can change out to their LA kit. I have 33s now and go offroading at least 2 or 3 times a month. I have the 3 inch body lift that i HATE and would like to change this out very quickly...pros and cons of each set-up would be appreciated. Thanks

wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure you will get mixed opinions from many guys on here about these two brands. One thing is for sure, they are both from great companies.. However, not to stear you in a whole new direction, but if you wanting to stay with the D30/35 combo for awhile (and go up to 35's) I think your headin in the wrong direction. Plus a D60 is a lot to have underneath a Jeep if you planning on driving it every day. Your lookin at a ton of fabrication work, gears, brake upgrades, etc. etc.. The list continues.. Like I said, not to stear you in a different direction here, but why not go with a 3" or 4" suspension lift (lose the 3" BL) and stick with 33's on your D30/35 combo for awhile and see how it treats you. Then if/when that D35 kicks out on ya, upgrade to a D44 and do a front & rear gear swap to maybe a 4:10 if you'd like. 4:10's are perfect on 33's from what I understand. If you have the factory 3.07's then 35's should be completely out of the question. Even 33's could cause you some greif. Now, if you have 3.73's (like me) then you should get by just fine... Below is a picture of my Jeep with FT's 3" Economy lift that netted be about 3.5" of lift...

Unread 02-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can't add much to the lift discussion, but I hope you carry spare parts for your dana35c....
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your dead set on running 35's, then throw a 1" BL on the lift I have pictured above and if you have the $$$ present, then do a D44 swap in the rear and throw in some new gears and your set... I think it would be the easiest/cost effective way to go.. Since the factory D35 can only handle up to a 33"... 35's will really stress that axle..

DH
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
XTC Jpr13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A guy from our local club has/had the nth system and loved it, until he went with D60's he now hates it. he has reccommended very strongly if you plan to go to non stock axles, stay away from nth. apperentally it invovles so much custom fab work to be done theres not much of the nth kit left. so after seeing him go through that i would have to reccomend against them if you plan on going with 60's down the road!
XTC Jpr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC Jpr13
........apperentally it invovles so much custom fab work to be done theres not much of the nth kit left. so after seeing him go through that i would have to reccomend against them if you plan on going with 60's down the road!
Unless you are skilled in metal work and fabbin' stuff up, then it would cost you an arm/leg/and what's between your legs to make that D60 work.. Plus, afterwards it wouldn't be my first choice for a DD...

DH
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm

well i eventually want to put the aev conversion and be able to run 37s or a little bigger and still keep my COG low...would a dana 44 in front and rear handle that size of tire as a DD
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why do you want to force something that just doesn't work????????? 35s don't go with a dana 35, if they did jeep wouldn't supply your tj with 30" tires
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

AEV conversion kit is what I assume your talking about and you could run 37's on the same set-up I have (along with the AEV kit)... However, for $2000.. Your money will be well spent on something else... I would stick with 33's.. 35's at the most really.. You will find that the guys on this site on anything bigger than 35's are few and far between..

DH
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2007
well i eventually want to put the aev conversion and be able to run 37s or a little bigger and still keep my COG low...would a dana 44 in front and rear handle that size of tire as a DD
No, they share the same U-joint as a dana 30. I wouldnt consider going that big unless you swap in a 60. Personally if you can afford that AEV conversion and the Nth lift. I would put it on hold and just order a set of rock jock dana 60's from Currie. They are are already narrowed and shaved, and you can tell them to set them up with what ever brackets you want.
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

which axle then

which axle can handle 35s and 37s, and still be a DD
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
which axle can handle 35s and 37s, and still be a DD
Did you not read my post? Look at currrie's web site, look for there rock jock dana 60's

If you wanna stay with 35's you can keep the 35 and run a super 35 kit in it or swap it for a dana 44 and your dana 30 will be fine with 35's. Just keep an eye on your U-joints.
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Staying with 35's will cost you A LOT LESS MULAH !!!! I mean really... Not too many of us have the bawls to rob a bank to finance what HAS TO BE DONE to fit 37's on these machines...

DH
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dana 44

So which locker is best for a dana 44....detroit or ARB? Don't you have to get the air compressor for the ARB also...where do you mount that (the air compressor)
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So which locker is best for a dana 44....detroit or ARB? Don't you have to get the air compressor for the ARB also...where do you mount that (the air compressor)
There really is no best locker. Irf you want a selectable look into the ARB or the E-Locker. If you want non selectable look into the detroit. They all work great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.