Better Choice - Skyjacker 2" BB or RC 2.5" Performance Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Better Choice - Skyjacker 2" BB or RC 2.5" Performance Lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Okanagan_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Better Choice - Skyjacker 2" BB or RC 2.5" Performance Lift

Just wanting input on the best way to go. Currently have 1" BL and 31x10.50.
It's a daily driver 90 road 10 off road. Just looking for a small lift to put on 32x12.50 and sit a little better. Both lifts cost about the same. Which one will give me a better ride? Also will I need anything else? (tracbar, vibes etc..)

Thanks

If Skyjacker - Hydro or Nitro

04 TJ RME | 4.0L 5 Speed | Dana 30/Dana 44 3:73 Gears | 33x12.50x15 GY Duratrac | 3" BDS | Currie Currectlync HD Steering | EBC Brake Upgrade | Gibson Exhaust | HID Headlight Conversion | Edge Trail Jammer Throttle Body & Module | AEM Brute Force CAI | AMSOIL Synthetic |
Okanagan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
FXSTCHEWY

2006 LJ Wrangler 

since you already have the BL I would go with the BB with Hydro's.

- Wannbe Old Guy Jeep Club Member
-06' Unlimited,3" BDS/Zone,American Eagle 185's,Cooper St's 33x12.5's,Ramsey 8.5,Tomken,Jeeperman,Warrior,Tuffy, Pioneer.
FXSTCHEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

RC all the way.Springs over spacers anyday.When you upgrade to 33's or 35's,then you can add spacers.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
RichH
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
RC all the way.Springs over spacers anyday.When you upgrade to 33's or 35's,then you can add spacers.
X2

I did the Skyjacker BB with the Hydros and a 1"BL when I first got my TJ. I have since bought the RC 2.5" coils and got rid of the spacers. I wish I had done this to begin with.

Proud member of the NRA
Sahara Jeep Club #23
[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club #225[/COLOR]
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
Famous337
2004 WJ 

I got the RE BB. Going with springs next time.

Past:
2001 XJ 60th 265's
99 TJ. 32's
Famous337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
X2

I did the Skyjacker BB with the Hydros and a 1"BL when I first got my TJ. I have since bought the RC 2.5" coils and got rid of the spacers. I wish I had done this to begin with.
I agree,I went cheap when I got my first TJ and thought 31's were as big as I would go(Myth).Less than 2 years later and 35's,I see the waste of money.ANYBODY with a jeep should assume you will end up with 33's or 35's and plan in advance.I cut down my spacers when I went bigger so they aren't a waste.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

For the money it is hard to beat my 2.5 inch kit. It is complete with shocks and all.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I started out with a BB.

Wish I had gone with a full spring lift to start. At the time it was OME that was the top dog but after looking at the RC kit I think I would have gone that route now. From a cost and performance standpoint the RC 2.2 kit seems absolutely incredible.

Also, with your 1" BL and a 2" lift (either BB or the 2.5" RC) I'd recommend jumping to 33's instead of the 32's. That's something else I wish I had done from the get go. Because for all the stuff you need to do to fit 32's you can also fit a 33x10.50. . . so why not?
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is a no brainer.

Doing a spring lift for the almost the same money.... Thats easy.

Every budget boost on the market sells you 4 spacers of the same height. Result: a lifted Jeep that still has a rake.

Get the RC kit, you will have a slight rake, but you can straighten that out with a spacer that suites your correctly, usually a 3/4-1.5 on the front and its fixed. The RC will ride better than a Skyjacker BB and you get all the other benifits of it, which include but are not limited to:
An easy way to fix your rake without adding stacking spacers on the front
Progressive springs
Better shocks than RE Twins or Skyjacker Hydos
Better look
More lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Okanagan_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like RC is the way to go.

I have read all of the RC threads but was wondering if anyone who has this kit used an SYE as well. I don't want any vibes and am unsure of just lowering the transfer case.
04 TJ RME | 4.0L 5 Speed | Dana 30/Dana 44 3:73 Gears | 33x12.50x15 GY Duratrac | 3" BDS | Currie Currectlync HD Steering | EBC Brake Upgrade | Gibson Exhaust | HID Headlight Conversion | Edge Trail Jammer Throttle Body & Module | AEM Brute Force CAI | AMSOIL Synthetic |
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The rake is supposed to be in there. That way when you hop in the Jeep or load up the back it it'll sit level instead of looking like the Jeep is dragging it's butt.

I never could figure out why guys can't stand the factory rake angle.

Now, when I stuck a winch on the front and it dropped an additional 3/4", sure, I can understand that. . . . way too much rake. But the factory rake angle is fine.

As for the SYE. . . should be ok. I'd install the RC kit and see if you have vibes. If you do get vibes you're about 4 steps out from needing an SYE:

1. If you have a little vibration, loosen the t-case skid plate (just loosen the bolts a tad for a little bit of movement in the plate to frame connection) and the t-case/transmission nuts (don't remove any fasteners). Go drive around carefully for about 5-10 minutes and then re-torque things (26 ft-lb for the tranny mount nuts, 55 ft-lb. for the skid plate bolts). This lets the end of the drive train re-settle and can clear up some minor vibes.

2. If you have "some" vibration, add 2-3 washers between the t-case skid and the frame. Very cheap, maybe $2 in washers an you can do it in about 5-10 min. Just loosen each side of the t-case skid, then support one side and remove the bolts, drop the skid on that one side enough to slip the washers in, reinstall the bolts but leave them slightly loose. Repeat the other side, then re-torque all bolts to 55 ft-lb.

3. If you still have vibes, look into dropping your t-case a bit more, maybe 1/2 - 1". You'll need longer skid plate bolts at this point and look into either a drop kit or make your own by drilling out some thicker steel or other spacer material.

4. If you STILL have vibes, then look into the SYE. But for a 2.5" lift you shouldn't need it. Given the cost of a SYE setup (~$500 including cv driveshaft) I'd very definitely wait on this as your absolute last resort. The washers should clear up the vibes "if" you get them.

Unread 12-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Okanagan_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With the RC kit and a 1" BL will I need anything else other than tracbar brackets (or adj tracbars).. such as adjustable swaybars
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run the RC 2.5" with JKS quick disconnect front sway bar links and extended (adjustable) rear sway bar links. Neither are needed but I went with them anyway. I also have front and rear JKS track bars. Very nice pieces and it's really the best way to go.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Okanagan_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey imped...Is that the track bars and sway bar links or just the track bars
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have JKS quick disconnect front sway bar links and JKS sway bar links.
I also have JKS front and rear adjustable track bars.

All of them are worth the money, even though it is a lot of it. The track bars center the axle and keep proper steering geometry. The offset axles were bothering me so this was a must for me. I wanted quick disconnects up front and wanted good ones at that, so I got a great deal on some JKS units and went with them. The rear links are only $40 for both and are well worth it. Very solid and adjustable.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.