Bestop Supertop vs. bestop replaceatop/old hardware - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop vs. bestop replaceatop/old hardware

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
KI4KWF
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop Supertop vs. bestop replaceatop/old hardware

Ive been doing more research into having a soft-top alternative to my hardtop. I had first thought about getting some old hardware from another TJ and then buying a replace-a-top to piece it together. But also I have looked at the Bestop Supertop and Im nearly impressed. Which method would yall use?

KI4KWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Jon_H
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a SuperTop, simply because my TJ only had the hardtop and this was the simplest option for me. Also, I've heard that it's a little easier to operate.

Having said that, going with the OEM soft top from could have it's advantages (quieter, better fit) and may be cheaper.

'97 TJ Sahara | 31" BFG A/Ts | Dynomax exhaust system
Stock Jeep Club Member #36

Silence is golden, but tape is silver.
Jon_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Our Jeep came with a Sunrider that was pretty torn up. We replaced it with a Supertop mainly so we could afford soft doors.

They both have good / bad points. The Sunrider was easier to put up but I like the lack of door surrounds on the Supertop when it's down. I also preferred the windshield bar in the Sunrider that folded down with the top rather than the bolt in one the Supertop has.
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
BoHeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI4KWF
Ive been doing more research into having a soft-top alternative to my hardtop. I had first thought about getting some old hardware from another TJ and then buying a replace-a-top to piece it together. But also I have looked at the Bestop Supertop and Im nearly impressed. Which method would yall use?
i bought the supertop to replace a worn out OEM soft top. i sent it back after a couple months in disgust. got a sailcloth RAT and much happier. the supertop is so much of a pain to put up and take down, it leaks, and the hardware is a joke. go OEM you wont regret it.
1999 TJ 4.0 manual 4.88 on 35" Pro Comp Xtreme Muds/RE 4.5" lift 3.5" springs - RE mono shocks/Dana 44 locked with ARB - Alloy USA shafts/AA SYE Tom Wood's DS/AtoZ Fab Rockers/ 60" Hanson Prerunner Style Front Bumper/Jeeperman Rear Bumper Swing Away with Side Extensions/Bestop Sailcloth tinted/Roundeyes/Infinity Sound System
BoHeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on OEM.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
KI4KWF
1999 TJ Wrangler 

welp....to the junkyards for OEM hardware but thanks for the insight anyone else is welcome to chime in
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

eBay and Craigslist are two good sources for complete used TJ soft tops. I agree on the OE mechanism being much preferable to the Supertop's.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
KI4KWF
1999 TJ Wrangler 

would a chrysler dealer be able to get new replacement hardware?
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI4KWF
would a chrysler dealer be able to get new replacement hardware?
More than likely. I have ordered Jeep engine parts through my local Chrysler Dodge dealership.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
kdmeyer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was in a situation similar to yours. I purchased a 97 TJ last fall with a hardtop installed, and a Supertop stowed in the rear. I downloaded some installation instructions for the Supertop, and it looked so complicated (plus parts were missing that I would have had to order) that I did not even try. Instead found a good used original TJ soft top with frame on Craigslist for $400, installed it a few weeks ago, and have been very satisfied. The fabric on the factory top appears heavier than the Supertop's.

If procuring a used original top, there are some hardware bits you need to ensure are included, or else you will spend time and money tracking them down. I would recommend purchasing it in person, don't try to have one shipped:
--header rail--be sure it includes the buckles (clips? what are these called?)
--door surrounds--these can cost $100 or more used;
--roll bar brackets--about $15 each from your dealer;
--knuckle ends to attach the roll bar brackets to the top frame--these fit into the ends of the bows, set of four aluminum ends easily available via aftermarket for about $30;
--rear window bar--occasionally available used, or from dealer for too much $$$;
--body clips for rear window bar--available at your dealer for about $35/pair, but be sure the part number is compatible with the rear window bar because they did change over the years.

I haven't taken the time here to dig up details like the official technical names or part numbers for these but can do so if there is interest.
kdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i wouldn't mind an oem, but i have a safari on underneath my supertop. it saves me the hassle of having to find something to do with the header when i want to go from one or the other. all i have to do is fold the softop down, then flip the front part of my safari onto the lip. i keep the front half folded over the back half when the soft top is on.

i'd go check some out. if you have the oem hardware, it's a no brainer, but any top will work. i've had my safari on the most over the last couple of months. my hardtop is put up for the winter, and the soft top goes on when rain is in the forecast.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.