Bestop Supertop NX - lots of problems, not impressed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop NX - lots of problems, not impressed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop Supertop NX - lots of problems, not impressed

Lots of problems with this top! First of all, the instructions sucked. Took SIX hours to put on, with 3 people doing it. Instructions had poor diagrams, and were poor at explaining things.

Let's start with the issues. First and my priority issue is, I can't latch the front header to the windshield of my jeep. This sucks because it's going to thunderstorm here tomorrow and I don't have a garage. I have no idea how waterproof it's going to be with the front not latched in. It's not a matter of the fabric being too tight. It's been in the 90 degree sun all day, still no luck. It's a matter of the sidebars that Bestop made are NOT LONG ENOUGH to go to the front of my windshield on my jeep!

Here's some photos. How can I get this latched? I can't get the header to go any farther forward, to rest on the front of the windshield instead of the top of it, which I'm assuming is supposed to happen. The hook is way too far up to go in the holes!

Here you can see the sidebars are just not long enough. They are locked in on the sides with the pull pins, but are about 2-3 inches too short.

Here's my next problem. On the curved bars that come down from the back bow, on the driver's side, the drill holes from the factory were too short. This led to the two metal pipes not going far enough together. Now I have this too look at:

It's only on the driver's side, the passenger side one fits in together great. This is BAD quality control from the factory. I know I can fix this though, I'll have to take the whole soft top apart when I get some free time and make my own drill holes in that so that it lines up right.

Here's another defect... appears to be a grease stain of some sort on the inside of the soft top, straight from the factory, nice:

Can't for the life of me get the center bow to get buckled up inside the velcro:

Because the soft top was so hard to put on and the instructions lack of detail, all the metal bars were scuffed up in the process:

My fault, I guess.

MY LAST main concern is getting the soft top folded down all the way. It's supposed to be the easiest soft top on the market to fold down. Well yes, it's EASY to fold down, I'll give them that. Takes me about 1 minute to fold it down. But how am I supposed to contain all that fabric?

Instructions tell me to wrap it around the bows, but there's not enough room for that, it's so tight, I'm sure there's some trick. But there's no video, or guides out there ANYWHERE on how to do that!

I guess my main problems I need help with are ideas on how to get the front header latched down, and what to do with wrapping the fabric around the bows when I have the top down.

The other problems I'll take care of, I guess. I bought some simple green to clean out the grease stains on the top, and when I get time I'll drill some new holes on that bar that doesn't fit all the way to put new screws in.

JeepJeepImABeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Header sits on top of windshield not in front of it.

Open your latches they will get longer (hooks will drop down towards holes in windshield frame).
dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

X2 on opening the latches. The top looks to be in the right place. You can see in the second pic that the down turn in the fabric lines up well the the down turn on the door surround.

In the first pic the latches are in the closed position so there is no way to tell from that pic if it is too far off to latch in the hole.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
1orangews6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just put this top on last night by myself and it took me an 1 hour and 45 minutes while drinking some Blue Moons and taking my time. I didn't have any issue what so ever with the instructions. The only thing that I didn't have to do was drill and 1/8" holes for the rear window brackets.

The pick of your header latches need to be opened up and then latched.
1orangews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, way to go off on a top lots of us have, me included, and didn't have any problems with it. If you can't get the front latched, it's because you either wrapped the leading edge incorrectly around the header, or more likely you made the newb mistake of latching the rear corners first.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Wow, way to go off on a top lots of us have, me included, and didn't have any problems with it. If you can't get the front latched, it's because you either wrapped the leading edge incorrectly around the header, or more likely you made the newb mistake of latching the rear corners first.
I remember those days on my friends TJ, before I had mine, by the time I had mine, I figured that one out
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
T_K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That was what I was about to say.

My top was a breeze to install, took me 2 hours by myself. I love the thing. The scratches sound like you messed up and should have been more careful, I did it myself and have none.
T_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some of the guys have been harsh, but I'm assuming you're frustrated and that the post was a bit of a rant. It's possible, but not likely, that something got past quality control, so for the moment I'm going to call "user error." I know, you don't want to hear it, but take a breath. These tops can be a bit tricky if you're not familiar with the process. As mentioned above, be sure the rear corners are not attached and that the latches are open in the front (they're closed in the pic.) That by itself will likely let you latch it down. Then attach the back corners by applying a little down and back pressure on the top rear corners while aligning and setting the lower corner lip under the tub rail. At this point, you should either be vindicated in your assertion that the top isn't right or you'll be feeling both relieved and a bit silly. The last particular I'll mention is that when folded correctly, it fits neatly inside the tub and tailgate; You'll have to take your time to do it right the first few times until the material builds it's "shape memory." Be patient. Finally, there are installation videos at Bestop, 4WD, Quadratec, and on YouTube. Again, take a breath and I just bet it'll work out. Good luck!

For some of the rest of you guys: Remember that this is forum for helping others, not making them feel inept. I'm guilty of sometimes, too, but think about the last time you tried to tackle something new and unfamiliar, then felt stupid when someone showed you how easy it can be when done in a certain way.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'll start off by saying I'm not dumb. Yes, I didn't try to latch the rear legs of the top down before latching the header. I followed everything in order on the directions as well.

I already tried opened up the latches on the header all the way and they are still about 2 inches too short. I did wrap the fabric around the header the correct way, but I'll check again. As I said, it's not a matter of the fabric being too tight or not on correctly, it's a matter that the side bars where the sunroof opening is are not long enough to make it to the front of the vehicle.

It's obvious I've already had some quality control issues since the one bracket I posted with the picture of, the drill holes from the factory are too short which is why the two ends of the black piping don't meet flush. Also, the stains in the fabric which were that way out of the box.I'm glad you all had such an easy time getting yours on, but it's clear I got a dud. I'm sorry I bothered you all. I guess I'll try calling Bestop tomorrow and seeing if I can get a replacement or money back. Other than the problems I'm having, it's a great top.

I just got finished with trying to get the side windows and back windows on about 30 minutes ago. The passenger side window went on fairly easily, a little bit difficult but I got it with some brute force of pulling the zipper. The driver side window, was a pain to get on. The zipper part on the window was about 3 inches too far from the zipper part on the top. I followed everything in order in the directions, and had no problems with the passenger side one. After using a screwdriver and inserting it through the zipper pull, and forcing the zipper down, I got it to go in. But the window looks all misshapen, like it wasn't made the right size from the factory.

The back window went on without too much trouble. That fit nicely. But with putting that on, I discovered another problem. The zippers that zip up around the rear support things, the plastic "stiffeners" that go in the legs? There's no pulls or small handle on those zipper. I forgot to mention that in original post. Did yours all come like that too, or was that sent to me without parts as well? Not a huge issue, since I won't be unzipping those very frequently.

Another issue: the snaps on the back part of the fabric that snap into rear bow, I got 3 of them in, but the 4th one doesn't snap up. It's about .5 inches to far in the wrong direction. Obviously not my fault, because the other 3 are lined up properly and snapped in with no problems. This also must be a defect from the factory, they didn't put the snaps in the top fabric the right way.
JeepJeepImABeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
BestopTeam

I was getting ready to shoot some videos a couple weeks ago, and had to install a full top on one Jeep, and a Duster/Windjammer/Bikini on another.

And I was having trouble with ALL of it. The Duster looked like crud, and was all bunched up. The windshield brackets on the soft top (Sunrider, not Supertop), just would not line up. I was cussing and complaining.

Then, the supervisor from customer support wandered over. She undid the back corners of the Duster and slid it forward a bit, and refastened. Looked perfect. She undid the back corners of the soft top, and pushed the whole thing up and forward. Latches fit perfectly.

The points I'm trying to make are these:
1. It can be horrendously frustrating for everyone. Even us, um, "experts."
2. We've got a great team standing by to help (not this weekend, it's a holiday. But they'll be back on Tuesday).
3. We can take care of defects, returns, and warranties. We work with the retailer on some of those, but no matter who it is, you're covered.

Talk to our support team. Send the photos to csbestop@bestop.com. Call 800-845-3567.

We'll get it all sorted out.

Zippers on the stiffener pockets: the pulls are intentionally missing, and the engineers gave a really good, brilliant reason why. But it's late on a Sunday night, I've had a gin and tonic, and I can't remember. Rattles? Sorry, I really don't remember why. But it's intentional.

Hang in there. And thanks for your support. Let's try to get you from disgruntled to gruntled. Thanks!
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like operator error to me. You have to unlatch the latches to latch it haha
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
englane
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just finished putting my bestop on about 15 minutes ago. It went pretty well. Undo the back corners and push the entire framework forward to get the header to latch in. After it's in and latched, go ahead and hook in the back corners. That's how I got mine. I think in the instructions, it actually told me to do it the other way around.
englane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
WV_Boltman
2011 JK Wrangler 

hmmm....never had a problem out of mine??
WV_Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Please post better quality photos...latch up and hook extended all the way down. You want help but those pictures are very hard to see...be stop is awesome and their warranty is top notch.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by englane View Post
I just finished putting my bestop on about 15 minutes ago. It went pretty well. Undo the back corners and push the entire framework forward to get the header to latch in. After it's in and latched, go ahead and hook in the back corners. That's how I got mine. I think in the instructions, it actually told me to do it the other way around.
The order isn't important. The installs give the "preferred" method, but I've seen lots of people do it the way you describe. Once that fabric has relaxed a bit, you'll be able to undo your header latches a lot easier.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.