Bestop Sunrider Soft Top is LOUD!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Sunrider Soft Top is LOUD!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
xbrianx
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop Sunrider Soft Top is LOUD!!

I replaced my factory 2001 Jeep Wrangler (with full metal doors) with a Bestop Sunrider Soft Top. I love that it folds back but this top is EXTREMELY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am tired of yelling to have a conversation with the person next to me or slow down to less than 40mph when I need to answer my cell phone. I've had this top for about a year and I think I am starting to lose my hearing (yes, it's that loud). It seems like most of the noise is coming from the header above the windshield. Originally, there was some 1/4" cheap foam seal strip that dried out quickly this summer up there. But even with it there, it didn't provide any relief regarding the noise. Are there others out there that have experienced issues?

xbrianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
uvalax236
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you decide to sell your sunrider, send me a PM. I need a new one. Also, the SkidRow Top Prop helped with the noise with a soft top.
RE 4.5 Springs/BrakeLines/HD TB, Currie Steering, VVME 3000k, 6000k HID Systems, IPF H4 Headlights,
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Moab's, 5.13's and TruSpeed
uvalax236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
whitebuffalo93
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I have the same problem with my 05. I had to replace my factory top and went with Bestop due to price and reputation. The wind noise is terrible and it comes from the channel above the windshield. The Bestop channel in the 05 is not the same shape as the windshield as it is not curved enough. I had to gently bend the channel to make it fit better. It eliminated some of the noise but not all of it. I also tried to add additional weatherstripping, but it didn't work. Overall, it still sucks. You'll never get rid of it.
whitebuffalo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

did you 05' come with a ragtop? if so use the wind channel and bow assembly from the old top and put the top ragtop fabric etc. on the old assembly, worked for me.
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
jeepgirl97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your 05 would have came with Sailcloth material from the factory, Bestop only makes the Sunrider in the old style standard material which is about 1/2 the thickness, that could have alot to do with the noise also..
jeepgirl97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl97tj View Post
Your 05 would have came with Sailcloth material from the factory, Bestop only makes the Sunrider in the old style standard material which is about 1/2 the thickness, that could have alot to do with the noise also..
yep, what she said^^^

the cheaper (non-sailcloth) tops are pretty lousy and extremely loud. I had the same problem as you and when i switched to sailcloth it all went away.

in my opinion the sailcloth is a far, far, far better choice... it holds in heat and/or a/c much better and is at least twice as quite.
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrianx View Post
I replaced my factory 2001 Jeep Wrangler (with full metal doors) with a Bestop Sunrider Soft Top. I love that it folds back but this top is EXTREMELY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am tired of yelling to have a conversation with the person next to me or slow down to less than 40mph when I need to answer my cell phone. I've had this top for about a year and I think I am starting to lose my hearing (yes, it's that loud). It seems like most of the noise is coming from the header above the windshield. Originally, there was some 1/4" cheap foam seal strip that dried out quickly this summer up there. But even with it there, it didn't provide any relief regarding the noise. Are there others out there that have experienced issues?
Solutions:
1. Dont talk to your passengers
2. Dont talk on the Cell while driving. Actually do this no matter what. I dont even bother trying.
3. Buy a factory soft top from someone with dual tops
4. Buy a hard top

If youre legitimitally loosing your hearing (which I believe is a possibility), you need to worry less about comfort and a few $$$s and more about your health.
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

try the best top liner... I made my own quilted cordura liner... attaches to the four suround knobs... dramatically reduces the noise and the heat...(south FL) granted I only use the top on long trips

Headliner by Bestop and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
f6Fireball
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anybody have experience with the Bestop Headliner? I'd like to keep the noise down in my 2005 TJ with factory softtop and this seems like an inexpensive way to go.........if it works.
f6Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
JA66
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I put more weatherstripping in there, and it helped, but the best thing I have tried so far, was put tape across that seam. Yes, ghetto, but I dont always have tape on there. I'm going to put tape on it when I bring it to school (2.5 hour drive). I would like a factory top. I don't like the sunrider. The door surrounds I have leak, and suck, tops loud, I never use the sunrider feature, I just put the top down if I want sun.
JA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
xbrianx
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6Fireball View Post
Anybody have experience with the Bestop Headliner? I'd like to keep the noise down in my 2005 TJ with factory softtop and this seems like an inexpensive way to go.........if it works.
Yeah, I would like to know if this is a possibility for my 2001.
xbrianx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , soft top , sunrider

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.