Are Bestop Soft-tops and Replace-a-tops better thank factory? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2004, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Rapajez

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are Bestop Soft-tops and Replace-a-tops better thank factory?

I was interested in getting a new top pretty soon since the one I have now is starting to rot away. According to Bestop, their sailclothe replace-a-top is 50% quieter and doesn't shrink in cold weather. Can anyone back that up?

Also, are their complete kits (the ones that use different harnesses, not the factory harnesses) easier to put up or down? Are they better than the replace-a-tops or factory tops in any other way?

Thanks in advance!

Black 2014 JK: 2013-Present
"Gun Metal Grey" 1999 TJ: 2003-2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Dragonmaster

The factory frame is the best system I have seen, sailcloth is quiter, but it still shrinks in cold weather, sail cloth came standard from 01 up. Just get a replace a top, don;t bother with their whole system replacements.

2002 Jeep TJ SE 2.5L
Sienna Pearl, dual tops, tan interior, 31x10.5's,
1" Rubi Spring lift (yes it does boost an SE 1", ask me how I know)
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
gsdz28

1993 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm my imagination is not working today, what kind of problems does the shrinking in cold weather bring about? Just harder to get on and off???

1993 Wrangler, I6, 5 speed, no mods.......YET
post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 02:29 PM
TJer

Manufacturere specs say to never take down the top while the outside temperature is constantly at 45 digrees or under. You can crack the top.

03 TJ Sport/Bright Silver Metallic/4.0/3.73/ RE BB and 31" MT/R's
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rapajez

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
hmmm my imagination is not working today, what kind of problems does the shrinking in cold weather bring about? Just harder to get on and off???
ALOT harder to get on when it's cold. I notice a HUGE difference between just 60 and 70 degrees. Exspecially trying to get down the clamps over the windshield.

Quote:
The factory frame is the best system I have seen, sailcloth is quiter, but it still shrinks in cold weather, sail cloth came standard from 01 up. Just get a replace a top, don;t bother with their whole system replacements.
Does it at least shrink less than the other fabric? Is there a material out there that is better than sail cloth?

Maybe some day, jeeps will have automatic tops...someday.....

Black 2014 JK: 2013-Present
"Gun Metal Grey" 1999 TJ: 2003-2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.