Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bestop Safari Bikini Tops

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ncb76 
#1 ·
I want to get a bikini top that covers the whole top. Does anyone have any experience with the Bestop Safari Bikinis? I am not sure if I want to get one with the retaining channel that you have to drill or the one that you don't have to drill for. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I bought the safari top and I love it. One good reason for it is that, especially in places with long summers, your softtop will start to fade and wear faster than the window units. I let the sun bake the safari top all summer and leave the whole softtop unit stored in the garage. I also hate the flapping rear quarter panels on the softtop on the freeway. So, it seems to be worth it. I use the no-drill header and it works fine.

#6 ·
Sandibar said:
I bought the safari top and I love it. One good reason for it is that, especially in places with long summers, your softtop will start to fade and wear faster than the window units. I let the sun bake the safari top all summer and leave the whole softtop unit stored in the garage. I also hate the flapping rear quarter panels on the softtop on the freeway. So, it seems to be worth it. I use the no-drill header and it works fine.
I agree Sandibar. The flapping rear quarter panels have me looking at the Safari Bikini as well. How exactly is the no drill header channel installed and can it be left in place when the factory soft top is reinstalled?

Thanks,

#7 ·
The drillless header sits across the windshield frame as expected. You then take what amounts to a clamp that attaches to a point on the header into the hole your softtop uses. You tighten it down and it effectively c-clamps it on. There are two of these mounting points, and they only connect at the softtop hole locations. Stays on great.

You cannot leave it in place when the top is up, as for one, the holes to lock it down would already be in use.

Good design, comes off quickly. Hardest part was putting the new top on for the first time! Attaching that to the header channel was a two-person job. You'd put one side in, move to the other, and the first would pop out.

#8 ·
Sandibar said:
The drillless header sits across the windshield frame as expected. You then take what amounts to a clamp that attaches to a point on the header into the hole your softtop uses. You tighten it down and it effectively c-clamps it on. There are two of these mounting points, and they only connect at the softtop hole locations. Stays on great.

You cannot leave it in place when the top is up, as for one, the holes to lock it down would already be in use.

Good design, comes off quickly. Hardest part was putting the new top on for the first time! Attaching that to the header channel was a two-person job. You'd put one side in, move to the other, and the first would pop out.
Thanks for the reply. Their ad isn't clear as to the process involved. You cleared that up for me. I removed the back seat, don't use it anyway, so I also want to get the duster deck cover and probably the windjammer.

#9 ·
WindJammer said:
Thanks for the reply. Their ad isn't clear as to the process involved. You cleared that up for me. I removed the back seat, don't use it anyway, so I also want to get the duster deck cover and probably the windjammer.
I have the Bikini and Safari top, the Duster, and the Windjammer. Definitley worth the money. Just wanted to let you know that with the Windjammer in, you'll have some issues with reclining or moving the seat all the way back. It fits between the roll bars directly behind the seats, so when ity is in you can not slide the seat all the way back and you can't recline all the way. If you are tall and need the seat all the way back, the Windjammer might not work for you.

Also, if you are looking at the Windjammer to keep the rain out, it really isn't necessary. When I have the Safari top and Duster on, I rarely get water in the cab. Only when it is really pouring and the wind is strong. Even then, it isn't much.

Anyway, hope the info helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.