Bestop HighRock Element Half Doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop HighRock Element Half Doors

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop HighRock Element Half Doors

Before pulling the trigger on a substantial purchase, I am looking for a little feedback on Bestop HighRock Element Half Doors. I did search, and did not find a good thread in which someone has used them on a TJ.

Here's a link, in case you don't know what they are.

They aren't cheap, but neither are factory half doors. Since it's cool here half the year, there tend to not be many factory half doors around, and if there are some they're either trashed or the uppers are. If not trashed they're frightfully expensive.

I have used full soft doors and they feel flimsy.

I have gone with no doors, or considered tube doors and either way you end up with a lot of debris like mud in the Jeep, and I prefer a little more enclosure anyway.

These look nice to me because they will be cheaper than factory, less flimsy than full soft doors, and with the optional metal skins will keep the crap outside. What I am looking for in terms of feedback is in regard to the fit, apparent build quality, sturdiness, etc.

hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have these, but do have the full soft doors you mentioned. I don't like the way Bestop has their latch paddles. Mine ALWAYS catch mud and debris, and I'm consistently cleaning them out to avoid muddy fingers. For the price of these new, I'd look for a set of factory half doors that are a little beat up.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For the life of me, I can't find any that are even half decent. The beat ones need windows or whatever other parts, then I'm back into the cost of new ones.
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the element doors, although I don't have the metal skins for them. They seem well made, but they can rattle a little bit since the latch design doesn't hold a tight as the OEM doors. I do like the bags that attach to them - they provide a lot of nice storage that the stock doors lack, and the other bonus is that these doors provide a means of mounting an OEM style mirror. They are definitely great to have on a nice day or out on the trail.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
BestopTeam

The two biggest complaints we get: rattles, as Chris mentions. And complications pricing them out, since it's a mix of packages and options (with storage bags, without, adding in upper doors, adding in enclosure panels, etc.). The rattles can be fixed with a bit of plastic tubing or tape on the latch. The pricing is a PITA, but spend some time at your favorite retailer site and it'll make sense.

This is a marketing video, where we tell you why they're the best thing in the known universe. But I think it gives a decent overview. You'll get more honest reviews from the others. :-)

BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

The storage bags don't make any sense to me at all, but the metal skins and uppers are what I was hoping for. I think these are next on the list of things to get.
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
The storage bags don't make any sense to me at all, but the metal skins and uppers are what I was hoping for. I think these are next on the list of things to get.
After you use the bags, they start to make sense. There's one big pocket (in addition to a few smaller ones) that fits a big bag of my favorite sunflower seeds nicely which makes for an enjoyable day out on the trail.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
pyoo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i have the doors with the enclosure. mine came with weather stripping which seems to keep the door latches from rattling by keeping them engaged tightly. the problems are the door uppers don't fit correctly out of the box, the rear overlaps the soft top and lets the rain in. one hour and a pair of huge channel locks later the problem was fixed. the safari door itself sat too low to engage the factory tub loop with the latch. on their video bestop shows the jk element doors with welded spacers to prevent this from happening. guess they couldn't be bothered to correct the problem for older model jeep owners. i solved the problem by using one of the provided door upper spacers as a hinge pin spacer. lastly, BE CAREFUL when you install the door skins. i pre-fit the enclosures to make sure they didn't rub the body jeep. the extra play in the latching system means you can't just fit them by closing them lightly. press them in slowly but firmly to see if they contact the body when the latch is fully engaged. i didn't do this and ended up scrapping paint of the door sills on the lj.
joop.jpg  
pyoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.