bestop duster, hardtop vs soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bestop duster, hardtop vs soft top

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
dbshea
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bestop duster, hardtop vs soft top

i just ordered the bestop wraparound wind jammer and duster, the jammer is back ordered but the duster showed up and installed pretty easily. Bestop offers two versions the factory hard and soft top in regards to the duster. I ordered the soft top version because i already had the tail gate bar, however i don't own a soft top anymore. However there is now the "bump" where the soft top would be if folded down and it's kind of ugly. Is the hard top version any different in regards to the fabric used, or does it just come with the mounting hardware? Also, for guys running no bar padding...did anyone come up with a way to tighten the holes up around the bar? I'm thinking just velcro or install a few snaps.

dbshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The bumps are there because its designed to keep your softop underneath... i made the same mistake. The hardtop version does not have those bumps as far as it coming with the tailgate bar i do not know.

I removed the padding and had the same problem with gaps nothing i found to do about it. If you added velcro it would make them slant all weird.

Also consider some sort of top prop or make one to hold up the center like a pickup bed or water WILL collect on top of the duster.

The snaps from the duster also wont reach the windjammer so youll have to make some sort of extension.

Its a little bit of work to get everything tightened up just right but when you do it looks great.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
dbshea
2005 TJ Wrangler 

did you return it and order the hard top version? it seems like it's not quite tight enough back there anyway. i've read up on the snap extensions too, will have that waiting as soon as the jammer arrives.

edit: for those interested, I just contacted besttop, the hardtop version DOES NOT accomodate the soft top (no buldge) so it's much tighter however you cannot order just the duster, it's a package deal with all hardware required.

Last edited by dbshea; 04-17-2009 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: more info
dbshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.