BESTOP Drill-less Header Install Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BESTOP Drill-less Header Install Question

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 07-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
yurmom22

BESTOP Drill-less Header Install Question

Hey guys,

I just got a BESTOP drill less header and bikini top off of eBay and the seller did not have any instructions. It doesn't look difficult at all but I have a couple questions:

1. Is the header simply attached to the windshield by the two clamps? If so...what stabilizes the header in the front? Since there is nothing holding it down in the front, it seems you can just tilt the header back and it will fall off.

2. The bolts the seller sent me don't seem to be the right ones. They are only about 3/4" long which isn't long enough. Should I go out and get longer bolts or am I not doing this right?

I have already checked out this write-up:

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...top_bikini.php

But it does not answer my questions. Your help is appreciated! THANKS

"I already made like infinity of those at scout camp." -Napoleon Dynamite
yurmom22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

1. yes...just attached by the two clamps...once you tighten them, it just seals down all the way across...

2. those bolts should be fine...they go in from the top, so after the 1/8" (or whatever thickness the top of the bracket is) everything else is thread that makes contact...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurmom22
Hey guys,

I just got a BESTOP drill less header and bikini top off of eBay and the seller did not have any instructions. It doesn't look difficult at all but I have a couple questions:

1. Is the header simply attached to the windshield by the two clamps? If so...what stabilizes the header in the front? Since there is nothing holding it down in the front, it seems you can just tilt the header back and it will fall off.

2. The bolts the seller sent me don't seem to be the right ones. They are only about 3/4" long which isn't long enough. Should I go out and get longer bolts or am I not doing this right?

I have already checked out this write-up:

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...top_bikini.php

But it does not answer my questions. Your help is appreciated! THANKS

You may need to push down on the header a little harder so that you can get the bolt started. Once you do, tighten it a few turns and the other side should thread in easily. Once the bolts are tightened, there should be a tight seal between the top of the windshield frame and the header, with no play whatsoever.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
yurmom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
1. yes...just attached by the two clamps...once you tighten them, it just seals down all the way across...

2. those bolts should be fine...they go in from the top, so after the 1/8" (or whatever thickness the top of the bracket is) everything else is thread that makes contact...

Greg
Hey Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply...I just went outside to try again and I'm still not convinced the bolts are long enough. On the clamp, the threading doesn't even start until about a half-inch below the top of the clamp, if that makes sense. Once the bolt is tightened, should the clamp and the bracket on the header be flush? or should there be a little gap? I ask this because if it needs to be flush, the header is not angled correctly, it is lifted in the front. I'll go out and get some longer bolts to see if that helps because if I try and put vertical pressure on the header, it immediately starts to 'lean' back so I'm not sure how it's going to 'seal'...if the longer bolts don't work, I'll post pics of what I'm talking about.

Thanks again.

Unread 07-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
yurmom22

Alright guys...I'm an idiot...I got it in.

I guess I just wasn't pushing down hard enough...I got my roommate to push down on the other side while I threaded the bolts and now I got my header installed.

Thanks for your help guys...

Unread 07-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurmom22
Alright guys...I'm an idiot...I got it in.

I guess I just wasn't pushing down hard enough...I got my roommate to push down on the other side while I threaded the bolts and now I got my header installed.

Thanks for your help guys...

now we'll just wait and see if you're one of "them" that can't figure out how to keep the front of the bikini in the channel while you're installing it...

seems like somebody has that problem about once a month...

Greg
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
yurmom22

Quote:

now we'll just wait and see if you're one of "them" that can't figure out how to keep the front of the bikini in the channel while you're installing it...

seems like somebody has that problem about once a month...

Greg
Haha...well, now I don't feel as idiotic...I was able to get the bikini on the there after a few tries. The only problem I did have was trying to the get the sides into the door surround...if I get one side in and go to the other, it would pop out on the other side...so I just used the 'flaps' with the velcro on the edges to wrap around the roll bar for now. I'm hoping that after it stretches a bit...I can get both sides into the door surround since then I can put my windows in and keep the cab completely dry.

Also, did you have a problem with getting the very end of the fronts into the channel? Right now, I have about a inch sticking out on each end...

Anyway, thanks again for the help! Hopefully the duster cover won't be as much of a hassle...

OH, one other question, has anyone noticed that Bestop has an option for 'Black' and 'Black Denim'? What's the difference? I would hate to buy a duster and not have it match my bikini.

Danny

Unread 07-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I ordered my duster and safari at the same time, and "think" I went with Black Denim...

the Duster is a lot easier to install...very straightfoward...

there is a little bit of each end of my safari that doesn't seem to fit quite right...but it's stayed that way for months with no issues...

Greg
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
franco802

How much did the bikini and header cost? Do you have a link?
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco802
He got his on Ebay...I bought mine from Quadratec (actually, it was a Christmas gift from my father)...

Greg
Unread 07-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
ugrider21

i have a question that is semi-related to this thread...is the no-drill style header for the Bestop bikini the same header that is used with the Supertop?
[B]'97 Sport green[/B], 4.0 5spd, [B]Bestop[/B] supertop, [B]RE[/B] 3.5", 33x10.5 [B]BFG[/B] a/ts on 15x8 [B]Cragar[/B] 397's, [B]Warn[/B] rockcrawler front bumper, [B]KC[/B] 100W on windshield, [B]Hella[/B] 500 fogs on bumper, [B]K&N[/B] intake, [B]Flowmaster[/B] 40, [B]Herc'd[/B] interior, [B]B&M[/B] shortthrow, [B]PORC[/B] SYE, [B]Collis[/B] custom CV shaft, [B]Nth Degree [/B] rear UCA's, [B]Gopher-it [/B] bell-up, [B]Novak[/B] t-case shifter, [B]MORE[/B] 1" MML/BL.
ugrider21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #12
yurmom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco802
Hey, as Greg mentioned, I did get my drilless header and bikini top on eBay. I didn't need mine right away so I watched for them for quite a while and got a great deal...$65 for both...and that's with shipping included. They are in near new condition too.

As an eBay fanatic, here is a pointer to help you search for the header and top on eBay... try searching for 'besttop' and 'best top' along with your search for the correctly spelled 'bestop.' You will be surprised at how many people misspell their listings causing a LOT less hits which leads to a lower priced auction.

Hope that helps!

Danny

Unread 07-18-2004, 01:35 AM   #13
yurmom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrider21
i have a question that is semi-related to this thread...is the no-drill style header for the Bestop bikini the same header that is used with the Supertop?
I'm not sure...you could try emailing Bestop directly (http://bestop.com/forms/askaquestion.php)...but although they advertise on their site that they respond within 2 days, I sent them an email a week ago...with no reply yet.

Your best bet would be to call a reseller like Quadratec or Performance Products, their customer service reps are quite knowledgeable.

Hope that helps.

Unread 07-18-2004, 01:49 AM   #14
yurmom22

Quote:
I ordered my duster and safari at the same time, and "think" I went with Black Denim...

the Duster is a lot easier to install...very straightfoward...

there is a little bit of each end of my safari that doesn't seem to fit quite right...but it's stayed that way for months with no issues...

Greg
Hey Greg,

Do you have any close-up pics of your duster/safari top? I want to see if I have 'black' or 'black denim'...why do they have to make it so confusing?

Unread 07-18-2004, 02:06 AM   #15
kizer

Im glad you were able to gleam a bit of help from the writeup. I'll modify it to say you have to push down a bit on the header for it to seat properly.

Nah the duster is pretty easy as well. Heres a little writeup I did for that too.
Clicky

Heres a list of the ones that are recent as well. Clicky

Check the main directory for all writeups and such at links4jeeps.com
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.