bestop black twill top? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bestop black twill top?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ugh, the twill tops are literally 2x the price of a regular Supertop NX up here

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
lapremidi
2010 JK Wrangler 

The twill top I just got for my 2010 WRANGLER was $1,500.00 and worth every single cent. Far superior in quality to any others I have seen.
lapremidi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
Summergirlbeach
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Black twill best top

Love this top! So much better than the sail top.... I found it $150.00 cheaper on amazon then most sites. The top is so soft and folds way easier than my old sail. The only thing I have to get used to is the wind tunnel noise when I get it up to 60 mph and higher. So I just turn up the radio loud.
Summergirlbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
rjdriver

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a twill Trek NX and I really like it, I just wish that Bestop would make soft uppers to match.
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdriver View Post
I just wish that Bestop would make soft uppers to match.

x2,

and other colors would be nice too, like Dark Khaki...not a big fan of black tops, no offense to those that have 'em...
Unread 06-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #21
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up buying a Twill Supertop NX cover due to the amazing deal I got (about $250 or so more at the time, not seen a price close to this since,) and the much better warranty.

It didn't take them long to come out with other Twill tops, so hopefully they will follow suit with the uppers
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirlbeach View Post
Love this top! So much better than the sail top.... I found it $150.00 cheaper on amazon then most sites. The top is so soft and folds way easier than my old sail. The only thing I have to get used to is the wind tunnel noise when I get it up to 60 mph and higher. So I just turn up the radio loud.
Wind tunnel noise? Could you elaborate? Isn't it quieter than the sailcloth?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think it may be partly from not running the support cross-arc up front? I get a 'wind tunnel' noise when I have the top all up and windows on side+rear and full doors on, but crack the window on one side an inch or so. Doesn't do it any other time so far. Just need to open the window another inch or tow and it goes away...
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #24
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I think it may be partly from not running the support cross-arc up front? I get a 'wind tunnel' noise when I have the top all up and windows on side+rear and full doors on, but crack the window on one side an inch or so. Doesn't do it any other time so far. Just need to open the window another inch or tow and it goes away...
You do not have the crossbar for the rear window assembled correctly. It's creating an air gap which is what is making your top noisy. I have a twill top and it is as quiet as a hard top.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #25
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, I'm talking about the front arc that is removable. I've never used it so don't know if it makes a difference... I do have the rest together correctly though...
Unread 06-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #26
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, I'm talking about the front arc that is removable. I've never used it so don't know if it makes a difference... I do have the rest together correctly though...
I do not have a front support nor roll bar pads so my install could be one considered to have considerable slack. If you have to roll down your windows to balance out the pressure, you have something wrong. Alternatively, you also need to realize that you need your vents, defroster or ac on along with the fan to inflate the top.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I do not have a front support nor roll bar pads so my install could be one considered to have considerable slack. If you have to roll down your windows to balance out the pressure, you have something wrong. Alternatively, you also need to realize that you need your vents, defroster or ac on along with the fan to inflate the top.
Maybe if it's cranked on high, but I really don't think it will make a difference and even then very little if so...
I spent way too much time making sure it was installed right, watched Bestops and other videos and all etc It doesn't do it with the windows up all the way, just when drivers side cracked an inch or two, and top all buttoned up as I mentioned, then down past that it doesn't...
I'll muck around with the fan and different things and see if it makes any difference...
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wonder if they will come out with this for the Trek Top NX?
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
Wonder if they will come out with this for the Trek Top NX?
They make one already

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #30
BadJohnny
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just switched to a Trektop NX from a rampage top. The center bow does make a difference.

To the OP; as far as Twill goes I would only consider it if the price was a lot lower. Even then I believe the sailcloth is a better choice for a off-road or recreational vehicle. If I park under or near trees and some tree sap falls on it it's not that bad to clean up the sailcloth vs twill, just as a example.

The Trektop NX fits snug and seals up tight. I have the black diamond type and it's as quiet or quieter than OEM. The front header fits as good as original equipment.

The rear strap buckles are the only real area they could improve on. The straps will not stay tight without a bit of ingenuity. I just popped a small hole in the free running end and secured that end once tight with some 550 cord. Only needed to worry about this when in bikini top mode.

@ rouxbicon I'm a fan of the Dark Khaki too. I went with black though at the time I couldn't find Dark Khaki.
BadJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bestop , soft top , twill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.