best way to fix exhaust leak without welding? quick dirty fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best way to fix exhaust leak without welding? quick dirty fix

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

best way to fix exhaust leak without welding? quick dirty fix

hey guys I need some advice for patching an exhaust leak without welding. To make a long story short my exhaust severed right before my cat because the previous owner decided to ghetto rig a new cat on. so now I need to ghetto rig ghetto rigging... ugh...

anyway i managed to track down an adapter to put the exhaust back together. when all said and done there is a small, but noticeable leak. not a big deal for my standards and this quick dirty fix, but It wont pass inspection/emissions.

I need a cheap dirty fix. I would love to do this the right way but Im unemployed right now and money is tight. I plan to get a whole new downpipe when I get a job. (mine is pretty rusted, it will probably be shot in a year) Iv tried JB Weld on exhausts before and it never holds more then a day, is there any decent product out there that I could slap on there and have it hold for at least a few months?

By the way before anyone says bring it to an exhaust place to weld it for 20 bucks, I wish I could but your not going to be able to weld where this leak is (top of pipe inside the cross-member.)

Thanks in advance!

Uban off roading in Pittsburgh, Pa!
abadjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
abadjay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so by the lack of replies Im guessing nobody has had any good luck with patching a leaky exhaust. A friend suggested furnace cement. Im going to give that a try and if I have good results Ill post it for other people possibly looking for a quick temp fix.

Uban off roading in Pittsburgh, Pa!
abadjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Auto parts stores sell an exhaust patch kit for around 10 bucks thats basicly some kind of heat tape and probably something very similar to the furnace cement. I'd weld it up for you if you were closer, also ive had midas weld an exhaust doing the same thing on a junk car I had years before I started welding, the guy did it for 20 bucks cash I think and it was in it out in 10 mins.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is it leaking from a clamped together joint?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

band clamp

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get some exhaust cement at your local auto parts store. Apply it around the areas with leaks and it will harden up and seal it up. Just make sure to get it off your fingers right away before it dries.
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Get some exhaust cement at your local auto parts store. Apply it around the areas with leaks and it will harden up and seal it up. Just make sure to get it off your fingers right away before it dries.
yea, you can buy this wrap stuff with some kind of epoxy/cement in it. I tried it once, never worked...just fell off and was a mess to work with. you might be able to make it work in a pinch.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
X-tacy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust bandages. Very inexpensive and just require you to wrap it like you would wrap an ankle. All of the wraps I've seen are white wrap, but if you don't care about the color... that is your best bet.

Most discount auto parts stores will carry it.
-Chris
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yea, you can buy this wrap stuff with some kind of epoxy/cement in it. I tried it once, never worked...just fell off and was a mess to work with. you might be able to make it work in a pinch.
And it looks like complete **** as well... but worked for me.
Unread 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem you are having. My exhaust was rotted out just before the cat and nobody could weld it because the skid plate was in the way. I used a 2-3 inch band clamp to cover it until I could afford a complete exhaust. It worked fine and I even passed the state safety and emissions inspections with the band in place.

I think I bought it from AutoZone.
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Brutus1983
1977 CJ7 

Another exhaust leak...

Ok, I've isolated my leak at the manifold. There's a small crack right where they bolt onto the block. What can I use to stop this leak without taking the manifold off? It's a 258 ci with the manifold bolted onto the driver side of the block.

Any help would be appreciated.
Brutus1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There's a better thing than the bandages (which don't last long) available from some parts stores. It's basically thin stainless sheet which you wrap several turns around the pipe and clamp. Only works on straight sections of pipe though.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1983 View Post
Ok, I've isolated my leak at the manifold. There's a small crack right where they bolt onto the block. What can I use to stop this leak without taking the manifold off? It's a 258 ci with the manifold bolted onto the driver side of the block.

Any help would be appreciated.
That's a tough one. There is a steel filled high temperature compound that I've used to seal small leaks but I doubt you'll be able to do it with the manifold in place.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.