best tj lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best tj lift?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
weasel796
1997 TJ Wrangler 

best tj lift?

I am considering either the pro comp TJ 4" stage II kit from 4wheelparts.com or the Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit. The guy I talked to at the store recommended the pro comp kit because he thought it would be more durable/reliable and cheaper than the RE. I want to know what kit people recommend. I am looking for a lift kit that will easily fit 33" tires and have a lot of flex to it. I don't want it to require a lot of maintenance ( I hear Rubicon express can require frequent bushing replacements.) I want to keep it around $1500-2000 for the kit with all the parts I need if possible *springs, shocks, SYE, ect.* any advice?

weasel796 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
jmartin2nd
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run a Rock Krawler short arm 4" flex system and have had little maintance on it just need to make sure the jam nuts r tight. but as for pro comp vs RE i would get the RE which is a better setup and more flexible, adjustable arms makes a big difference in alignment and pinion angles also. one big thing is u get what u pay for, Im not saying the Pro Comp kit is bad. those r my couple pennies
jmartin2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
bhall687
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been researching the same questions for a while. I was looking at the PC and everyone said that it is not that great of a lift. The control arms are not great quality from my understanding. The RE lift you will more than likely have to replace the bushings quite a bit as they have an hourglass mount and the bushings seem to fail alot from what people say. I have narrowed it down to the currie lift which there are not really any cons for. The CA's are all adjustable and have johnny joints on both ends. These are very durable if greased and maintained properly. It seems that this kit maybe just above your budget you mentioned, but everyone says you will not regret it and it will be done right the first time. That is what I have learned.
bhall687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

Let me google that for you

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
weasel796
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall687 View Post
I have been researching the same questions for a while. I was looking at the PC and everyone said that it is not that great of a lift. The control arms are not great quality from my understanding. The RE lift you will more than likely have to replace the bushings quite a bit as they have an hourglass mount and the bushings seem to fail alot from what people say. I have narrowed it down to the currie lift which there are not really any cons for. The CA's are all adjustable and have johnny joints on both ends. These are very durable if greased and maintained properly. It seems that this kit maybe just above your budget you mentioned, but everyone says you will not regret it and it will be done right the first time. That is what I have learned.
are there any recommended places to buy this from? and what is the price range? I am goggling it, and starting to research it, but I figured I would ask here if there is any recommendations that may not come up on the top of a Google search.
weasel796 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
DezertTJ
Phrasing

2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have the pro comp lift on my rubi. it rides alright. not the best flex but the bushings haven't been a problem. moving to full traction 4" springs cause my rear is sagging. but go with RE, full traction, currie, or make your own

Quote:
Iím very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the 4.5" superflex kit but swapped out for 3.5" springs. It's a great kit and very complete if you pay the few extra bucks for adjustable control arms (lowers) all around. I added OME shocks to it and it has been sweet. My only complaint so far is with the quick disconnects... driver's side sheared when I was in Moab the other weekend (it wasn't disconnected at the time) and I wasn't even doing anything gnarly

I bought from 4x4groupbuy.com. I looked all over the place and they had the best price.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing (RE 4.5" superflex with 3.5" springs) but with the RE shocks also from 4x4groupbuy after shopping around. I'm happy with it. It also came with an AA SYE kit (Advance Adaptors [a well respected brand name] Slip Yoke Eliminator) and a Tom Wood's rear CV driveshaft. The RE 3.5 lift give you at least 4" of lift. A very complete kit that if priced out separately would have been a lot more expensive. I sold the sway-bar disconnects that came with it and put on a Currie Anti-Rock set-up. When looking at kits in the 3" and higher lift, make sure they include things like an adjustable front track bar, bracket for the rear track bar (you might end up having to buy an adjustable rear track bar anyway like I did), adjustable upper control arms (at least for the rear) if you're going to do the SYE/CV rear driveshaft route (as opposed to spacing down the skidplate), longer brake lines, extended bump stops, etc. If they don't include them, factor their cost into the "budget" kit(s) you might be looking at.

For example, for an AA SYE and a TW rear CV driveshaft, figure another $465.00 into your cost Advance Adapters Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit + TW Drive Shaft when looking at lift kits that include it (the RE kit below) vs. most others that don't include it in the cost of their lift kits.

Here's the RE 3.5" superflex kit from 4x4groupbuy (mentioned above) with SYE, rear CV driveshaft, front track bar, extended brake lines, shocks, adjustable upper control arms/new fixed length lower control arms, etc. for $1835.00 at Rubicon Express RE7000-3 3.5 Super-Flex Kit & SYE Combo and Shoc They sell the same kit but without shocks for less, and then maybe you could get cheaper shocks to bring the price down a bit. You (the OP) asked, and this is my recommendation. And I looked at other options (Black Diamond, Rustys, etc.) before getting this kit, and while others started out cheaper, their final cost grew once you started adding extras that the RE kit here included. Of course, only you can decide if these "extra's" are things you feel you want or need. Some people are happy with just four springs and shocks and lowering the skid plate.

Help I'm typing and I can't stop! I have to let it go...

So I would start at 4x4groupbuy.com and check their prices and what comes with their kits (especially their RE kits), and then compare to Pro-Comp or whoever you want to check out and compare with what comes in their kits (make sure you're comparing apples to apples). Let us know what you find and decide on.

Last edited by armyRN; 05-31-2010 at 06:22 AM..
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel796 View Post
I am considering either the pro comp TJ 4" stage II kit from 4wheelparts.com or the Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit. The guy I talked to at the store recommended the pro comp kit because he thought it would be more durable/reliable and cheaper than the RE. I want to know what kit people recommend. I am looking for a lift kit that will easily fit 33" tires and have a lot of flex to it. I don't want it to require a lot of maintenance ( I hear Rubicon express can require frequent bushing replacements.) I want to keep it around $1500-2000 for the kit with all the parts I need if possible *springs, shocks, SYE, ect.* any advice?
Procomp is complete crap. Some say their springs are ok, but I've heard they sag pretty bad. The guy at 4-wheel parts is a tool and is recommending procomp because they're the same company. Rubicon Express bushings won't last 3 months.

If you want the BEST kit, as indicated by your title, then look at Clayton Off-Road or Currie.

Clayton Off Road - Jeep Lift Kits - Jeep Cherokee Lift Kits - Jeep Wrangler Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits
Currie Enterprises - Custom Rearends, Jeep/Off-road Parts, Crate Rearends, 4x4 Rearends
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

To quote the OP: "I want to keep it around $1500-2000 for the kit with all the parts I need if possible *springs, shocks, SYE, etc.* any advice?"

While I'm sure the Clayton and Currie kits are top notch quality products, they're also $1775 to almost $2000 before adding the cost of shocks, SYE, rear driveshaft, etc. So add another $700 (plus/minus) or so for these in addition to the price of the Clayton or Currie kits for what already comes in the RE kits from 4x4groupbuy.

I think the OP was looking for the best complete lift kit within his budget of $1500 - 2000. And yes, we all know about the RE bushings issues. I haven't had to replace mine... yet.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel796 View Post
are there any recommended places to buy this from? and what is the price range? I am goggling it, and starting to research it, but I figured I would ask here if there is any recommendations that may not come up on the top of a Google search.
Do yourself a favor and call Gerald at Savvy Offroad, or PM him on here (username is "Savvy"). See what he can do for you.

You'll be pleasantly surprised. At least get the information before you buy
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
To quote the OP: "I want to keep it around $1500-2000 for the kit with all the parts I need if possible *springs, shocks, SYE, etc.* any advice?"

While I'm sure the Clayton and Currie kits are top notch quality products, they're also $1775 to almost $2000 before adding the cost of shocks, SYE, rear driveshaft, etc. So add another $700 (plus/minus) or so for these in addition to the price of the Clayton or Currie kits for what already comes in the RE kits from 4x4groupbuy.

I think the OP was looking for the best complete lift kit within his budget of $1500 - 2000. And yes, we all know about the RE bushings issues. I haven't had to replace mine... yet.
you can also piece the currie together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.