Best TJ Camping Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best TJ Camping Mod

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
silverx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best TJ Camping Mod

I have wanted to build a roll out extension to the bed of my tj for some time now, so that i can sleep in the back stretching my legs out. I wondered if anyone here has done something similar? While posting this question i thought it might be nice to see other mods made for camping purposes. You guys and girls got anything?

silverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a cool idea. It would be cool to fab up something that bolts to the tub and would slide out. Good luck in your search.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i really like the idea of the roof racks that fold over and give you an awning. the only thing is i hate those style roof racks on wranglers.
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
silverx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JITP View Post
i really like the idea of the roof racks that fold over and give you an awning. the only thing is i hate those style roof racks on wranglers.
The style does have something lacking. Too bad there isn't one that would bolt on or attach to some of the more "normal" roof racks. You could just roll it up and keep it in the rear or in a tube on top.
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps instead of a roll-out set up you could do a fold out? I doubt you'd have enough length that a simple bi-fold would be long enough, maybe a z-fold (two folding hinged sections) would work.

If you built it as a frame that you could then fold out and lay cross-boards or other panel / fabric material on then you can use the void in the folding frame for storage.

Add some mounting posts at the front of the base frame so it can slip in to the seat-bracket mounting holes and a cross piece of flat stock so you can bolt it into the existing seat belt mounting hole with the seat belt bolt. Should make for easy, quick and secured temporary mounting. No more difficult that putting in and taking out the stock seat.

Just a thought.

Something like that.

Over lap a tarp over the roll bar / soft top and use a big tent-pole / guy wire set up out back for rain coverage. Or, weld some loops or mounting posts to the very most out-streatched part of the folding bed frame and set some posts in there when everything is folded out for tarp support. Probably would still need some rope or string to keep the tarp taught and sloped away from the bed.

foldingbed.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ebay beat you to it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...sQ5fLiterature
2.5L : AX-5 : NP231, D30HP : D44 : 4:88 : Front Aussie
2.5" OME lift, OME LT shocks, 2" BL, Currie Control Arms, Currie HD Steering, Currie Trackbars, Warn M8000
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Custom Rock Sliders, OBA
33" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear MTRs, Black Steelies
the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's freakin' cool! http://www.foldingcamperstore.com/ for posterity since nearly every single ebay link on this forum is old and dead. They have several cool products, actually

EDIT: I wish I'd done the LJ mod (you know, where you buy an Unlimited instead )... Would've been useful for all that extra gear.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've been looking into mods myself, so far the best I've seen is AutoHomes.

http://www.autohomeus.com/gallery/jeep.php

If you'r looking for an affordable fold out, there is the Origami.

http://www.origamisleeper.com/Products.html

If you have $100,000 to blow....

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries...otos/index.htm

Wild Boar Products is supposed to come out with one, but I have yet to hear from them on any type of posting. I've called 3 times already and am being advised that they will send me a link, but have yet to see one.

http://www.wildboarproducts.com/campertops.html

Here's a Pic of an old CJ Mod.

http://www.earlycj5.com/gallery2/v/p...ad6-4.jpg.html
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
RKHOWND

Only camping mod you need to make with your TJ is to remove the rear seat and leave enough room for the appropriately sized beer cooling device.
Unread 05-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, well very cool.

The Origami Sleeper looks slick and with better weather protections that the fold out frame idea I posted.
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
silverx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Perhaps instead of a roll-out set up you could do a fold out? I doubt you'd have enough length that a simple bi-fold would be long enough, maybe a z-fold (two folding hinged sections) would work.

If you built it as a frame that you could then fold out and lay cross-boards or other panel / fabric material on then you can use the void in the folding frame for storage.

Add some mounting posts at the front of the base frame so it can slip in to the seat-bracket mounting holes and a cross piece of flat stock so you can bolt it into the existing seat belt mounting hole with the seat belt bolt. Should make for easy, quick and secured temporary mounting. No more difficult that putting in and taking out the stock seat.

Just a thought.

Something like that.

Over lap a tarp over the roll bar / soft top and use a big tent-pole / guy wire set up out back for rain coverage. Or, weld some loops or mounting posts to the very most out-streatched part of the folding bed frame and set some posts in there when everything is folded out for tarp support. Probably would still need some rope or string to keep the tarp taught and sloped away from the bed.

This is just a great post, thanks. The brain is ticking.

Thanks for the links too guys.
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
silverx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Ok, well very cool.

The Origami Sleeper looks slick and with better weather protections that the fold out frame idea I posted.
I do like the Origami Sleeper however it leaves one thing that bugs me to death. Sleeping on those tie down loops on the bed of the rear will just be horrible. You could put down one of those thin sleeping mats but your idea would take any uneven surface out of play.
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Motel rooms are cheap.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
ninemili22TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Last weekend i slept in my back seat and im 6 4"....figure that one out.
ninemili22TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
storman113
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You could always try this out. Take your cot with you.

http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDeta...=9311058450010
storman113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.