Best Spark Plugs for 2.4L; Same as for 6 Cyl? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Spark Plugs for 2.4L; Same as for 6 Cyl?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Whytep38

Best Spark Plugs for 2.4L; Same as for 6 Cyl?

I searched for spark plug info, and everything I found mention the Champion truck plugs for the 6 cylinder engine. Do the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines use the same plug?

Thanks.

Whytep38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
SpitNine

[QUOTE=Whytep38]I searched for spark plug info, and everything I found mention the Champion truck plugs for the 6 cylinder engine. Do the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines use the same plug?

I suggest you use NGK #LZTR4A-11 plugs.
This is what the dealer put in when one of the OEM Champion #RE14MCC5 plugs failed at 12,000 miles.
You can get the NGKs from:
WWW.sparkplugs.com
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Champion truck plugs get lots of recommendations here. Stay away from anything with platinum as those are terrible in the 6-cyl.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Whytep38

Thanks for the info, guys.
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Champion all the way in your jeep. Stay away from brands not reccomended for your vehicle (such as NGK or others). Same deal as only using AC Delco in GM it is a no brainer. SImply put it is what your engine was designed to use.
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
luv2hmr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1
Stay away from anything with platinum as those are terrible in the 6-cyl.
Are platinums bad for a 4-cyl too? Why are they bad?
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
shagnasty

I don't know why ther bad in the 4.0 but I can tell you I put the Bosch Platinum plus 4 in my 98 ZJ and it killed the performance. I had damn near 50 bucks in the plugs and got worse fuel milage and less power. Go figure. I went to the Champion Truck Plugs and the power and mileage returned. Expensive lesson. I have no idea why this happened but I've read this same thing several times on forums.
2004 TJ Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 4" Full-Traction short arm lift. Trail ready front bumper, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, Amsoil air filter, 33x12.50 M/T Baja Claw RAdials, 15x8 American Racing 625's. AA SYE, "Woody" shaft.
shagnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Same as above post for the 6-cyl. They somehow rob performance and gas mileage in Jeeps. Worked great in my Saab but not the TJ.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
Whytep38

So what's the number for the Champion truck plugs for a 2.4L? Every search I've done on this site and others lists the Champion truck plug number for a 4.0L, but not for a 2.4L, which is what I have. My other searches show NGK/ND/Accel/Bosch plugs for the 4.0L are different than those for the 2.4L. Based on that info, I'm thinking the two engines use different plugs.

But the one thing I can't find is the only thing I'm searching for: the right Champion truck plug for my 2.4L. If I could get that info, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
SpitNine

Truck Plugs

[QUOTE=Whytep38]So what's the number for the Champion truck plugs for a 2.4L? Every search I've done on this site and others lists the Champion truck plug number for a 4.0L, but not for a 2.4L, which is what I have. My other searches show NGK/ND/Accel/Bosch plugs for the 4.0L are different than those for the 2.4L. Based on that info, I'm thinking the two engines use different plugs.
But the one thing I can't find is the only thing I'm searching for: the right Champion truck plug for my 2.4L. If I could get that info, I'd be grateful. [Quote]

You're right, the plugs for the 2.4L motor in the 2003 and up Wrangler SE are completely different than the plugs for the six cylinder motor.
The number for the OEM Champion plug in the 2.4L is RE14MCC5.
When the Champion plugs fail (there is a TSB on this so a number of them must be failing), the dealer special orders, directly from DXC, the NGK #LZTR4A-11 under part number SP-LZTR4A-11. The "SP" stands for "service part" but the plug is the same one you can buy from Sparkplugs.com.
DXC is replacing the Champion plugs with NGK plugs for a reason.
I don't know for sure, but I doubt that there is a "truck" version of the OEM plug available.
I suggest you go with the NGK plugs.
Thanks.
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Whytep38

Sounds good, SpitNine. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'll get the NGKs.
Unread 10-07-2004, 10:47 AM   #12
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is one guy telling you to use NGK. Do yourself a favor and go with the masses on this one Champion only bro. I have made the mistake of putting "expensive" plugs in my rigs before, not a good plan. I did a TSB search for faulty champion plugs and came up with nothing for the 4 or 6 cyl jeep applications. NGK makes great plugs for bikes and Hondas but not your jeep. Even though the jeep may run great with other plugs in it you have no idea how hot or cold it is sparking in comparison to the factory champion reccomended plug. Could possibly damage your engine without you knowing it. I say better safe than sorry.
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #13
SpitNine

NGK Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coils Rule
This is one guy telling you to use NGK. Do yourself a favor and go with the masses on this one Champion only bro. I have made the mistake of putting "expensive" plugs in my rigs before, not a good plan. I did a TSB search for faulty champion plugs and came up with nothing for the 4 or 6 cyl jeep applications. NGK makes great plugs for bikes and Hondas but not your jeep. Even though the jeep may run great with other plugs in it you have no idea how hot or cold it is sparking in comparison to the factory champion reccomended plug. Could possibly damage your engine without you knowing it. I say better safe than sorry.
All I can say is that my 2.4L Jeep runs just fine with the NGK plugs that DXC directly supplied to the DEALER who then installed them to replace the failing OEM Champion plugs. The TSB number is 08-034-03. You can bet when it comes time for new plugs, I will install NGKs. I have never had an NGK plug fail in any kind of engine. I have had several Champion plugs fail in several different kind of engines. Two plugs (different part numbers, different times) failed brand new right out of the box.
BTW, the #LZTR4A-11 plugs are not "'expensive"' in any way.
Thanks.
Unread 10-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
uglyprimate

At this point, go with what you want. If they don't work, then your only out $10. I went with Champion truck plugs in my 4.0 from the advice on this forum. Had Bosch platinum before. Gas mileage has dropped 2 mpg, but there does feel like a small power gain and smoother idle when cold. It only cost me $15 to try them. I'll probably try something else.
uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

People you are talking about two very different engines. I agree Champion Truck Plugs are the best plugs for the 4.0L but the 2.4L is not a truck engine. The Dodge Stratus uses it as its base engine. It is a high reving 4cyl very different to the 4.0L and the old 2.5L the 2.4L replaced. Go to Stratusphere and ask them what they use in their 2.4L engines or just go and get plugs from the dealer.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.