Best sounding cat back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best sounding cat back

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

View Poll Results: Best sounding and free flow cat back for LJ
Banks 12 36.36%
Magnaflow 10 30.30%
MBRP 0 0%
Borla 7 21.21%
Dynomax 3 9.09%
Volant 0 0%
Rugged Ridge lol 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Best sounding cat back

Looking into cat back systems, Thinking of going with banks.

What sounds best and has the most power?

|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i cant really speak for any brand by experience besides banks and flowmaster and between the 2 i thought banks had a better sound. your not going to notice or actualy "feel" any horsepower increase from any catback system but if sound is what your after then have at it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Add 'Other' for a high flow cat (Banks or Flowmaster), 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, and a scavenger (down-turned) 2.5" outlet.

That's my opinion of the best sounding and best flowing exhaust (you're not going to get alot of power from the 4.0 on just a cat-back).
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is rugged ridge?
I havent had every muffler on there but every blowmaster I've ever heard sound like complete garbage. All they do is make alot of noise and don't make the done deeper.
I have a magnaflow cat and muffler and its an ok tone. I havent had any other brands on my Jeep in particular but its not loud at all, just a low deep tone which is ok for me. Let us know what you go with and do a sound clip.
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah i dont expect a whole lot of power from it. The cat is pretty much out of the question. The 06s have dual cats just after the manifold and another after they come together. It has 4 o2 sensors. Nobody even makes a hi performance cat for it. I would just remove the cat but I am planning joining the coast guard soon so i will be living in states with emissions tests. My 88 comanche is strait piped with 2'' and a glass pack and it sounds like a big v8 and has alot more power than it did before. So i guess sound is what im looking for.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskiskeeter View Post
What is rugged ridge?
I havent had every muffler on there but every blowmaster I've ever heard sound like complete garbage. All they do is make alot of noise and don't make the done deeper.
I have a magnaflow cat and muffler and its an ok tone. I havent had any other brands on my Jeep in particular but its not loud at all, just a low deep tone which is ok for me. Let us know what you go with and do a sound clip.
Rugged Ridge makes allot of cheap parts for Jeeps like bumpers and stuff.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 03-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskiskeeter View Post
What is rugged ridge?
1. You're better off not knowing.

2. I will agree that most Flowmasters sound like crap, the 44 though gives a nice deep growl and I have heard them on several Jeep 4.0s. They are one of my favorite sounding muffler.

3. OP, your flow and sound will be compromised by the cats, but as you said, there is not much you can do about it, have fun in the Puddle Jumpers :P. Whatever you go with see if you can't replace the pipes with 2.5".

Just my thoughts.
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross00TJ View Post
3. OP, your flow and sound will be compromised by the cats, but as you said, there is not much you can do about it, have fun in the Puddle Jumpers :P. Whatever you go with see if you can't replace the pipes with 2.5".
Im definitely going with 2.5''tubing and its going to be SS because SS has a crisper tone. I am prolly going to wait to see if i get a job at oreilly's so I can get a discount.

On a side note what do you mean by "have fun in the Puddle Jumpers" ? I unlike many people actually wheel my jeep.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 03-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
On a side note what do you mean by "have fun in the Puddle Jumpers" ? I unlike many people actually wheel my jeep.
That was a poke at you joining the Coast Guard, nothing Jeep related. I'm a Navy Boatswain's Mate, so we poke fun at the Coast Guard all time, but in all seriousness there were a few Cutters with us over in The Gulf and off the horn of Africa and have much respect for the Coasties on those Cutters doing the same thing we're doing on much smaller ships. If you can get in it's a great service.
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross00TJ View Post
That was a poke at you joining the Coast Guard, nothing Jeep related. I'm a Navy Boatswain's Mate, so we poke fun at the Coast Guard all time, but in all seriousness there were a few Cutters with us over in The Gulf and off the horn of Africa and have much respect for the Coasties on those Cutters doing the same thing we're doing on much smaller ships. If you can get in it's a great service.
Ahh got cha I thought you where making fun of the lack good wheeling around here and the fact that everybody mud bogs( I hate mud it damages to much stuff ). I am hoping to stay in the states and I am going to do everything I can to become a rescue helo pilot (Though highly unlikely). I am getting a degree so I can apply for officer candidate school which will I hope help me with the helo pilot thing.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 03-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
Ahh got cha I thought you where making fun of the lack good wheeling around here and the fact that everybody mud bogs( I hate mud it damages to much stuff ). I am hoping to stay in the states and I am going to do everything I can to become a rescue helo pilot (Though highly unlikely). I am getting a degree so I can apply for officer candidate school which will I hope help me with the helo pilot thing.
I'm not sure how the CG works but I know that in the Navy it's easy to become a helo pilot, because no one wants to do it , they all wanna be fighter pilots. If you make it clear that you want to be a pilot and do well in OCS I'm sure you'll have a good shot, I'm enlisted so I can't say much on that but don't let anyone tell you, that you can't (except for maybe the SECDEF or SECNAV ), do your research, and don't be afraid to go and get what you want. In the military, you have to be persistent and assertive to get your request chits through and get what you want, IME.

Good Luck
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Asking which sounds best is like asking which beer is best. Its opinion.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
HemiTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

AFE makes a nice cat back, think it's called Mach force..3" S.S. a little on the expensive side. I think it sounds great with the motor I have, but I don't know what it sounds like with a 4.0
HemiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I needed an exhaust last year for inspection, mangled the factory exhaust on the trail. I wanted a stainless exhaust and sound wasn't too big of a concern for me, just didn't want a loud annoying exhaust.
I am very pleased with the Banks Monster exhaust I purchased. Very low tone all the way through the RPM's, not loud and obnoxious like a ricer or other Jeeps I've heard with other exhaust types.
skeebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
deadbiker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the Borla system that the po installed on my jeep sounds great.i'd never pay that much for an exhaust,but it does sound nice...
deadbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.