Best Shocks for TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Shocks for TJ?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 01-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
white2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best Shocks for TJ?

I have a clunking noise coming from the front of the jeep. We have checked the sway bar and other connections and nothing seems loose. Anyway, I think the shocks are original for my 2000 so they probably need replacing. Can anyone tell me the best shock for my TJ? Its mostly driven on the road, with occasional snow during the winter.

Also, do you think it will get rid of the clunking noise I hear when going over small bumps, train tracks?

Thanks,

white2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Most people on this site tend to like blistein or OME. It may get rid of the clunking. Have you checked your axle u joints I had a clunking noise up front while turning ended up being the u joints were gone.

"Workers of the world UNITE! All you have to loose is your chains." Karl Marx.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson.
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer OME Nitrochargers or Bilstein 5100or5125 shocks for my needs . I had a clunk similar to your description and it was worn out sway bar bushing where it mounts on top of the frame under the Plastic cover between the bumper and grill . 10mm wrench will remove the cover . just look at the edge of the metal mount and the sway bar and you will see some shinny metal where occasionally the bracket and the sway bar will make contact when you drive over slight bumps . New bushings are cheap if that is the cause, could be many things but thats a start .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similar clunking noise in the FR/ Passenger Side. I got a free alignment from a 4x4 shop that I trust a week ago and they checked the driveline components and they all checked out okay. And I only get the noise going over bumps like railroads. Not while turning.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
newguy2004

stand on the front bumper and bounce the jeep up and down side to side with the sway bar not attatched have someone lay under the jeep and listen for the noise last time i check shocks dont really make noise when they go out on less your just bottoming them out . good luck
newguy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
white2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the shock info. I will check to see if they are bouncy. Is there a strut mount that could be making the noise?

The clunking noise is just over bumps, not while turning. It only takes a slight bump. I will bounce it up and down to see if I can make it happen again. Ill check out the sway bar mount, I pulled on it the other day and everything seemed tight. I also have greased the zerk fittings but still get the sound.
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I had a 2" spacer lift and the original shocks, one of the back ones eventually failed and made a loud clunk every time I went over a bump. When I put my OME lift on (with OME shocks) it went away.
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is no such thing as best shocks.Maybe most expensive shocks.A TJ is going to ride like a TJ no matter how much you spend on shocks.What are you willing to spend to get a Jeep ride is more of a question?I buy lower priced RC,Skyjacker and they ride better than stock(IMO) and have rode in Jeeps with OME and I can't tell a noticeable difference to make up for double the price tag.A Jeep always rides like a Jeep(unless you go with LA's).
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
There is no such thing as best shocks.Maybe most expensive shocks.A TJ is going to ride like a TJ no matter how much you spend on shocks.What are you willing to spend to get a Jeep ride is more of a question?I buy lower priced RC,Skyjacker and they ride better than stock(IMO) and have rode in Jeeps with OME and I can't tell a noticeable difference to make up for double the price tag.A Jeep always rides like a Jeep(unless you go with LA's).
I agree with this to an extent, I'm also trying to determine what shocks to replace my OEMs with......(2" BB). Not looking for a Cadillac ride, just a good quality shock. I'm leaning towards OME.
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I agree with this to an extent, I'm also trying to determine what shocks to replace my OEMs with......(2" BB). Not looking for a Cadillac ride, just a good quality shock. I'm leaning towards OME.
Check out BDS .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Thats just a case of not knowing any better.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bilstein

I thought that I would add my

I put Bilstein 5100's on my TJ when I lifted it and I like them, since then one of the other guys in our club has put them on his Jeep and he likes them two.

Hope that helps
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
white2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, any more ideas on the clunking sound??
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
TomZ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a clunking sound that seemed to come from the front suspension - checked everything and found that the clutch pedal would rattle and vibrate through the sheet metal when I hit a bump or pothole. No fix I know of - it just suddenly started making noise then stopped after I tracked it down.

If not the clutch pedal, try seeing if the hood shakes or if your sway bar links are broken.

I like Bilstein shocks.
TomZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
4x4NDAD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

clunk noise

My front swaybar bushings were really sloppy and clunking, I took a couple of thick washers and installed on the undersides of the bushings to force them up and manage the slop. That was 2 years ago and they haven't loosened up again.

Last edited by 4x4NDAD; 06-27-2011 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: spelling error
4x4NDAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.