Best setup for deep snow... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best setup for deep snow...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
ebp123
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Best setup for deep snow...

Anyone have any experience with getting a wrangler through bumper to hood deep snow? Are wranglers even capable of going through that deep of snow? And when i say bumper to hood i mean on a stock jeep.

ebp123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Ofsthun
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The best thing you can do is have the widest tread you can get with say 33x12.50 to 33x15.50 wide tires. The people of Iceland run huge 59" tires with minimal lift to sit on top of the snow when they take trips to the glaciers.

My suggestion would be to add a 4" lift and run TSL SX 33x15.50 tires or any other wide tread tire and air them down for a larger footprint.

How often would you be running in this deep if snow?
Yellow Jeep Club Member #23
1989 Black YJ, 1979 Blue J10, 1969 VW bug Drag Car, 1995 Ford Probe Road Race Car, 1994 Ford Bronco 351W... all previous projects!
Ofsthun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
lloydsmale
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sorry but i dont agree with that. Maybe in the artic where theres no bottom to it. Ive lived in big snow country all my life and what works good is tall narrow agressive tires. You want a tire narrow and agressive enough to dig down through the loose stuff till you find traction and enough ground clearance so that you dont drag your guts before that happens. Snow is not like sand and you will not float on top. At least not with any tire that will fit on a jeep.
my off road toys are a 2000 yellow 4 cyl with a 2 inch lift and 31 bfgs. A 2006 silverado club cab 4x4 with a 310 hp, K&N intake, borla exaust, computer reprogramed by westers, 285/17 bfg mud terrains. A yamaha grizzly, A yamaha raptor and a yamaha warrior, honda big red, 2009 polaris rzr
lloydsmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For the most part I'll have to agree with Lloyd, tall and skinny with good digger lugs. This set up provides more weight per sq. inch thus better traction.
All snow is not created equal either, wet, heavy, packed, fluffy(no water in the stuff) and the dreaded "sugar snow"
Chains, shovel, winch and maybe mats are all good tools to have also.
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Bill_Dunnigan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I agree with The Tall And Skinny. I'm from NewEngland, I've dealt with snow every year and the best things to have are a winch good recovery gear and tall skinny Knobbys. Airing down can help a little bit, but its best to cut through the snow and grab on to the trail underneath it. Tires with massive voids between the treads helps to clear the snow out too.

So mud terrains are best
2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
Bill_Dunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

You could always get real "snow" tires too and put them on if you really want to be hard core about it.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From my experience up here in MN, mud tires seem to work the best they clean the snow out nice. I would have to say the next closest thing I have been in besides snow is mud, and many of the same theories apply. Speed if you are busting through big drifts, momentum is very helpful when going through snow but it has to be controlled momentum, other wise you may get worse off. Also a lift will so you won't get hung up on the frame, armor may also help make your belly smoother to slide across the top of the snow, any thing the snow can grip to stop you it will, similar to mud. Snow is not like sand for the most part there is usually a bottom to the snow and thats where you want to get. Also if you end up on ice or hard pack chains or studs will help.
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

tall, skinny tires with chains and lockers. 4" lift & 33x10.50 BFG MTs + chains, or even 4" lift + fender lift or tube fenders & 37 x 12.50 + chains. chains are like 4000x wheel drive, but they put a lot of extra stress on the axles.

lots of mountain snow wheeling info on www.co4x4.org. most of us small guys rely on the big rigs to snow bash their way up trails to helpout the spring melt.

also you need to think snow conditions will change things: light fluffy snow will be totally different that wet heavy snow.

and of course Mattrax are the ultimate for snow:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
gy4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt you will be able to make your way through hood deep snow on a stock jeep like you asked. I don't think the type of snow will make much difference at that depth with a stocker either. Too much resistance and not enough traction.
gy4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, its a lot like wheeling in mud or sand.

Lots of speed/momentum, wheel speed, and power will take you places.

Lockers and airing down will certainly help too.

Bumper deep it starts to get difficult if its wet snow. I agree with gy4 - hood deep, forget about it.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post
For the most part I'll have to agree with Lloyd, tall and skinny with good digger lugs. This set up provides more weight per sq. inch thus better traction.
All snow is not created equal either, wet, heavy, packed, fluffy(no water in the stuff) and the dreaded "sugar snow"
Chains, shovel, winch and maybe mats are all good tools to have also.
This is exactly correct. The effectiveness of tire chains cannot be overstated.
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
gy4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also, if you are wheeling in the snow be extra carteful. You stand a better chance of breaking stuff in the snow. Quickly spinning tires that come to a sudden stop when traction is gained is a certain recipe for breakage.
gy4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I agree with gy4 - hood deep, forget about it.
I disagree...with the correct setup (and money), it can be done:
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...atchers+tracks

A D30/D35 won't work tho...D44s at least, preferably D60s.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
cosninocanines
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hood deep! Head for warmer climates, but if you go have a partner or two and lots of recovery gear.
cosninocanines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

if you're talking about 3ft+ deep snow, you won't find the bottom. the jeep will rest it's belly on the packed snow and you'll be stuck. trust me, we found this out the hard way during a nasty snow run this winter in the deep woods of NH. the guys who got thru it the best had big, wide tires to float. the guys with the skinny tires do well in 1-2ft snow 'cause they can find the bottom, but any deeper then that you have to float on top of it. it was like running in sand, if you start digging in, just drop the pressure further to increase the footprint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.