Best replacement tires for a 2004 Rubicon w/ stock wheels. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best replacement tires for a 2004 Rubicon w/ stock wheels.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Best replacement tires for a 2004 Rubicon w/ stock wheels.

I just bought a 2004 Rubicon, with stock wheels, and the tires are ok, but don't have enough tread for off-roading left.

The tires are also noisy, and I don't believe to be OEM.

While retaining the stock wheels, what is the best tire for a Rubicon?
-- I want tires that will last as long as normal tires, not short life tires.
-- I want tires that are as quiet as possible while being good off-road.

Also, replacing the tires with larger and wider tires, what is the best oversized tires for stock wheels? for a 2004 Rubicon?

My 1997 TJ, has 10.5" wide, 31" tires on aftermarket wheels, 'All Terains", and I have no complaints with them.

Is it a good idea to get a larger diameter, and wider tire, on a stock 2004 Rubicon?

If so, what is optimal?

awalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with the largest tire you can fit. That would be (the 16" metric equivalent) 31x10.50 if you want to flex, and 32x11.50 if you only go to the mall.

The best AT for all around use, and incredible tread life too, has got to be the BFG All Terrain (KO)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
03GoldTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Rubicon Moab wheels,and other than price,I would never get anything but the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs,IMHO.If price is a consideration,go with Goodyear Duratracs or B.F. Goodrich Mud Terrains!
03GoldTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The BFG muds or the Duratracs *might* satisfy his 2 requirements, for a mud tire.
But 'quiet' and 'mud tire' generally do not go together, 'quiet' and 'long life' rarely go with mud tires either, and MTR are neither quiet NOR long lasting.
I doubt he's doing much mud with a stock TJ.

His 2 criterion are why I suggested KOs.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maxis Trepadors

Hi There,

This is what I run on my Jeep in 31x10.5 R15 size or equivalent. I have found them quieter than other mud tyres, and they work really well off road, and are OK around town and on the highway as well.

Hope that helps
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
The BFG muds or the Duratracs *might* satisfy his 2 requirements, for a mud tire.
But 'quiet' and 'mud tire' generally do not go together, 'quiet' and 'long life' rarely go with mud tires either, and MTR are neither quiet NOR long lasting.
I doubt he's doing much mud with a stock TJ.

His 2 criterion are why I suggested KOs.
I got 68K miles out of my origional MTRs and have over 20K miles on the new MTR Kevlars (33"), AND I wheel almost exclusively on rocks. The new tires are wearing just fine and I don't see why I won't get 60K out of them as well. If they are ballanced and rotated properly they can last a very long time.

Other than that I agree with your post. They aren't swamper loud, but they aren't quiet tires either.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_TJ View Post
Hi There,

This is what I run on my Jeep in 31x10.5 R15 size or equivalent. I have found them quieter than other mud tyres, and they work really well off road, and are OK around town and on the highway as well.

Hope that helps
It would, but there's no recomendation. Was there suposed to be a link or a picture?
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a tire that wears and can go offroad get Nitto Trail Grapplers. They are not over aggressive but are nice. I have had 2 sets of Baja Claws and the longest they lasted was 18,000 miles. Just watch soft tread mudders. The hot roads will eat them up.
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
dscabra
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I got 68K miles out of my origional MTRs and have over 20K miles on the new MTR Kevlars (33"), AND I wheel almost exclusively on rocks. The new tires are wearing just fine and I don't see why I won't get 60K out of them as well. If they are ballanced and rotated properly they can last a very long time.

Other than that I agree with your post. They aren't swamper loud, but they aren't quiet tires either.
Wow! How did you manage that? I have 53K miles on my 2005 Rubicon and have been through two sets of OEM Goodyear MT/Rs and I'm now running BFG ATs. I like the agressive look of the MT/R, but at 25K miles a set, they don't make sense for me.
dscabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Wow! How did you manage that? I have 53K miles on my 2005 Rubicon and have been through two sets of OEM Goodyear MT/Rs and I'm now running BFG ATs. I like the agressive look of the MT/R, but at 25K miles a set, they don't make sense for me.
What are "OEM" MT/Rs?

25k is low, my pro comp muds are over 5 years old with maybe 40k miles on them and are probably balanced horribly. I'll be replacing the with Goodyear Kevlars this summer.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the cooper discoverer line as well I have had great luck with them on my moms jeep. I believe some of them have a 50,000 mile warranty as well. Currently running the ATRs While I haven't wheeled them(mom's Jeep is pampered) they seem aggressive enough for mild to moderate trails but probably not mud. And I can say they are great in the snow and much quieter than the GY GSAs that came on the Jeep.
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
This was more in line with the tread life I saw on several original MTR equiped Rubi's my buddies drive. I could hear them coming, the heel tow wear was crazy and the got super loud! I have read they got better with the revamp but I don't have personal experience with the new style.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93
What are "OEM"
Original Equipment from the Manufacturer = OEM
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra

They were balanced and rotated properly. They are large (by comparison) truck tires so they need to be balanced more frequently. I did a 5 tire rotation and dynamic balance every oil change. (3k miles)

At 68k miles I sold them used with plenty of tread left to be legal street tires. There were a lot if missing chunks where the rocks got their taste.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Original Equipment from the Manufacturer = OEM
I know what OEM means...
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.