Best replacement soft top for 99 TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best replacement soft top for 99 TJ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Armored
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best replacement soft top for 99 TJ?

It's that time that I need to replace the soft top on my 99 Sahara. I've been looking through my catalogs trying to figure out what top is the best. I want quality that is equal to or better than the factory top that I currently have. I currently have a factory spice top with clear windows. I want to get a spice colored top again but with tinted windows.

Anyone know what the best replacement tops out there are and what brands to stay away from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Armored is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop "replace a top" in the sailcloth material is pretty good. I have them for my door uppers, sides, and back window. They match the original in fit and quality, but since they are new and unfaded, they don't match the sun bleached color of my remaining top piece . The previous owner was too cheap to buy the whole set I guess. No complaints from me though...

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
operatorj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For the price i have been very happy with my SmittyBuilt top. Has tinted rear side windows but clear front and is availible in black or spice. Only had it for about 4 months so time will tell but so far it has worked great.
operatorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Smittybilt one on mine as well. Excellent value and great fit. I recommend it for sure.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with Bestop since they make the oem factory tops for Jeep.Get the sailcloth for a much quieter ride.If money is an issue you can get the complete (tinted windows and upper door skins if needed)Smittybilt tops for $306 shipped from Streetsideauto.com using the code SAVE10.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/hard...t-40l-242-cid/
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop R-A-T
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have an 06 with OEM sailcloth and a 99 with OEM soft top and a few friends with regular tops. The sailcloth is absolutely a far superior product. I would not buy anything other and a sailcloth top is on the top of my list for my 99.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
BestopTeam

Just to clarify: The Replace-A-Top reuses your existing hardware, but gets you brand new fabric and windows. You can't use it if you need all new hardware. This also saves you some $$. The Sailcloth version of the R-A-T is heavier fabric, and very close to your factory soft top. It's our best reviewed product, and the closest you can get to a new factory top.

BUT, lots and lots of options out there, from us and from other companies. I'd recommend some time with the Quadratec or 4wd catalogs. You've really got a lot of choices.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Just to clarify: The Replace-A-Top reuses your existing hardware, but gets you brand new fabric and windows. You can't use it if you need all new hardware. This also saves you some $$. The Sailcloth version of the R-A-T is heavier fabric, and very close to your factory soft top. It's our best reviewed product, and the closest you can get to a new factory top.

BUT, lots and lots of options out there, from us and from other companies. I'd recommend some time with the Quadratec or 4wd catalogs. You've really got a lot of choices.
I noticed that even though Bestop makes the factory top,it's not near the thickness of the OEM top.In the rear windows it's a night and day difference in thickness.You are the first to say"it's very close".That being said,it's the BEST replacement top that money can buy.The $300 Smittybilt tops are thin and crappy(IMO).
p.s. Are you really a doctor or did you stay at a Holiday Inn express last night?(avatar)
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
kdb97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

look at the rampage trail top, No more hard ware to mess with, good sailcoth and two or more tops i one. and the price is good to.
kdb97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I noticed that even though Bestop makes the factory top,it's not near the thickness of the OEM top.In the rear windows it's a night and day difference in thickness.You are the first to say"it's very close".That being said,it's the BEST replacement top that money can buy.The $300 Smittybilt tops are thin and crappy(IMO).
p.s. Are you really a doctor or did you stay at a Holiday Inn express last night?(avatar)
That's the top I'll be going with when it's time to replace (Bestop Replace A Top), at that price as long as the quality is close to the factory top I'm fine with it. Being that the Mopar top runs about $1200 if I'm not mistaken?
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
1990YJnewbie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just put a Bestop Replace-A-Top on my 04 last fall. I've been quite pleased with it. Mine is not a daily driver, but at least I can see out of the back window now.
1990YJnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
That's the top I'll be going with when it's time to replace (Bestop Replace A Top), at that price as long as the quality is close to the factory top I'm fine with it. Being that the Mopar top runs about $1200 if I'm not mistaken?
I think you are comparing a full Mopar top (hardware, fabric, etc.) with the Replace-A-top (just fabric and windows). Mopar also sells a "replacement skin" for the top. Not sure what the cost is, but it can't be 1200.

Ask me why my company is perfectly happy if you buy either.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
I think you are comparing a full Mopar top (hardware, fabric, etc.) with the Replace-A-top (just fabric and windows). Mopar also sells a "replacement skin" for the top. Not sure what the cost is, but it can't be 1200.

Ask me why my company is perfectly happy if you buy either.
I'm assuming Bestop makes the factory Jeep tops? lol....I've never seen "replacement skin" for mopar.....just something that retails for around 1200

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.