Best Rear drum to disc brake conversion TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Rear drum to disc brake conversion TJ

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 12-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best Rear drum to disc brake conversion TJ

I want to do the drum to disc brake conversion and wanted to hear from people who have done the conversion. What kit do y'all recomend and some do's and don'ts from experience is greatful. Thanks for any input.

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i just upgraded axles, lol

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

I have seen lots of people get the rear discs off cherokees. You should be able to get them pretty cheap from a junk yard and they bolt right on. Make sure it's off the same axle, though(D35 vs D44). You just have to change out brake cables, I think. Try a search on that. Hope this helps

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24 View Post
I have seen lots of people get the rear discs off cherokees. You should be able to get them pretty cheap from a junk yard and they bolt right on. Make sure it's off the same axle, though(D35 vs D44). You just have to change out brake cables, I think. Try a search on that. Hope this helps
What XJ had rear discs that bolted up to a TJ rear axle?

BTW- the housing end bolt pattern on the TJ is shared between the D-44, D-35, the XJ 8.25, both ZJ rear axles, and the Liberty disc backing plates.

BTW- have you actually done this?
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I also want to do this conversion ... how did you do it
.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
freshlikefruit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i think mrblaine dies a little inside everytime someone incorrectly recommends anything brake related
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you want to do the zj disc brake swap. I pulled mine off of a zj d35, it is a pretty simple swap to a d44, you just need to get the retainer plate from a rubicon 44 from a jeep dealership (got mine for $15).

heres the link to stu-olsons write up
http://stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm

you can also swap from an explorer as well, just as simple

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
you want to do the zj disc brake swap. I pulled mine off of a zj d35, it is a pretty simple swap to a d44, you just need to get the retainer plate from a rubicon 44 from a jeep dealership (got mine for $15).

heres the link to stu-olsons write up
http://stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm

you can also swap from an explorer as well, just as simple
I'm in the process of doing it myself but it's not as easy as some make it out to be a simple "bolt-on swap". Removing the discs off the ZJ takes quite a bit of work. Took me 3 hrs to get them off a ZJ at a junkyard.

Then I had to sand them down with a wire brush and clean the calipers up, (mine were pretty rusted) which took another 2hrs

I had to purchase a new spring, clip, hardware kit and install it on the new e-brake shoes. The original ones were toast

I also had to hollow out the ZJ plate to let the shaft bearing pass through, add another hour. You also need to remove the bearings and re-press them with the new TJ bracket. 2 hrs.

Even after all the labor I've been putting into it, I'm still happy I've saved about 400 bucks. I'm getting it done little by little at work, and I'm at the bearing press part of the job. Yours might go a bit easier if you didnt have to replace most of the brake components like me. All I really used was the caliper brackets, dust shield, and calipers.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Tera rear disk brake conversion kit which worked very well but don't convert to rear disk brakes if you're after improved braking. If your rear drums are operating ok, you won't notice any braking improvement from converting to rear disks in 99% of the time. It's the front brakes where if you do something like the Vanco Big Brake kit will produce a dramatic braking improvement. If you have big tires and your braking sucks as a result of them, I'd save and do the Vanco front brake kit where you'll get a dramatic braking performance improvement for your $$$.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I used the Tera rear disk brake conversion kit which worked very well but don't convert to rear disk brakes if you're after improved braking. If your rear drums are operating ok, you won't notice any braking improvement from converting to rear disks in 99% of the time. It's the front brakes where if you do something like the Vanco Big Brake kit will produce a dramatic braking improvement. If you have big tires and your braking sucks as a result of them, I'd save and do the Vanco front brake kit where you'll get a dramatic braking performance improvement for your $$$.
I got mine because I got a brand new built 44 without brakes ready to bolt up. Might as well do it now while I wait to have time for the install. Mine might have an improvement over my never-adjusted drums I have now, but not a big difference.

I'm still $400 cheaper than the Teraflex kit.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
samIam01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why wouldnt putting discs in the back help with braking with bigger tires
samIam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
justinwalden

no xj had disc. they would have to be from a zj
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIam01 View Post
why wouldnt putting discs in the back help with braking with bigger tires
Most of the stopping power is coming from the front. The backs don't add much.
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Jerry i know that disks in rear wont help much but what i dont understand is why do the swap if you know they dont do much?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Jerry i know that disks in rear wont help much but what i dont understand is why do the swap if you know they dont do much?
Maybe the drums are shot and need replacing anyway, and it's easier to replace disk pads and perform general maintenance on disk brakes than on drum brakes. Braking-wise, there's not really much difference in their braking performance when the drum brakes are working properly. Why some report better braking after replacing their drums with disks is that, most likely at least, their drum brakes were so far out of adjustment or just not functioning properly and the new disk brakes just made the rear brakes start working again. Drum brakes can actually stop very well, they just don't have the fade resistance and self-cleaning properties that disks do, plus they need regular adjustments.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.