best performance parts for the money - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best performance parts for the money

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
jfisch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

best performance parts for the money

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with (aside from suspension and wheel/tire/brakes upgrades that I have) an AEM cold air intake, JET ecu, and a Magnaflow catback exhaust. I was thinking of getting headers, but was told if it's power I wanted to look at stroke kits, and check out 505 performance. I don't know a ton about engines and installation but I would be having someone else do that part. My question is, with that knowledge what parts do you guys think would give me a good boost in power for $2000 or less.

jfisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with (aside from suspension and wheel/tire/brakes upgrades that I have) an AEM cold air intake, JET ecu, and a Magnaflow catback exhaust. I was thinking of getting headers, but was told if it's power I wanted to look at stroke kits, and check out 505 performance. I don't know a ton about engines and installation but I would be having someone else do that part. My question is, with that knowledge what parts do you guys think would give me a good boost in power for $2000 or less.
It says you have 34" tires, have you re-geared your axles?

It will cost about $1,200 for you to re-gear, that will give you the power back that you lost with the larger tires.

If you have already re-geared and that still isn't enough, I would suggest a Golen Stroker.

The Golen Stroker will cost you around $3,500.

There's just not a lot of power that can be pulled out of the 4.0 without stroking it.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
jfisch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pro Rock stroker kits jeep 4.0-4.6 -4.7- 5.0 - 505performance

These look cheaper, do you know if they're good quality
jfisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
It says you have 34" tires, have you re-geared your axles?

It will cost about $1,200 for you to re-gear, that will give you the power back that you lost with the larger tires.

If you have already re-geared and that still isn't enough, I would suggest a Golen Stroker.

The Golen Stroker will cost you around $3,500.

There's just not a lot of power that can be pulled out of the 4.0 without stroking it.
x2....regear first. then stroker/supercharger/turbo. stroker is probably the least hassle and best bang for your buck. you have a 42RLE automatic with 34's...so you'd need 5.13s or 5.38s to get your engine back in the powerband.

So to recap what you didn't use the search function to determine before you wasted a few hundred dollars -
Cold air intakes do nothing but suck in 10x more dust and dirty your oil quicker.
Performance chips do nothing but require higher grade fuel and throw check engine lights
Cat-back exhaust does nothing but sound louder and uncalibrate your butt dyno.
Headers might help power slightly at high RPMs (4000rpm+), and might reduce underhood/intake temps a bit if you wrap them with header wrap and silicon sealant, or get them ceramic coated.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

U04 - excellent summary!
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
I really like my stroker but I've got about $2,000 in it and I built it. If I didn't know better, you might be better off re-gearing that one and take the money you would spend on a KB supercharger and buy an old Mustang GT. I don't think you can have it both ways which partially explains why I built a Jeep. When I wanna go fast, I drive the Stang

By the way, Welcome to the forum. Use that search function and you might even find where someone crammed a UFO motor in a Jeep! or maybe not but you'll find some cool stuff...
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa4LqRn0&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[B]'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L[/B]
Light modifications[/SIZE]

[I][B]Read more, Post less, Search often[/B][/I]
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cam , cheap , headers , performance , power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.