Best motor Oil? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
ICEAKACRAZYDOG

Best motor Oil?

whats the best motor oil for jeep sport 4l with 16k - 17k miles on it?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 09:45 AM
GMagana

Wow... this never get's debated...
You will find tons of info in a search. Most of it will be varying opinions. I run Mobil1.

George
2000 TJ
post #3 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 09:54 AM
NCjeeps

My opinion -

Why waste money on oil. Just use water, it won't hurt.

For real though, I would stay away from synthetics. Here's why: Synthetics are designed to have much smaller molecules than organic oil. Some high performance engines, like the cadillac northstar for example, are machined to have very little clearances for oil to go, hence the need for synthetic oils. However, the I-6 in the jeep isn't nearly as precision. In fact, there are probably gaps small enough to allow synthetic oil to leak whereas organic wouldn't. Just my experience/opinion. Any brand-name 10W-30 will do just fine. It's what your jeep was designed to use.

Andy

post #4 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 10:09 AM
JTJ98

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How did you miss the big thread on motor oil!

Anywho, I use quaker state 10w-30!
post #5 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
ICEAKACRAZYDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCjeeps
My opinion -

Why waste money on oil. Just use water, it won't hurt.

For real though, I would stay away from synthetics. Here's why: Synthetics are designed to have much smaller molecules than organic oil. Some high performance engines, like the cadillac northstar for example, are machined to have very little clearances for oil to go, hence the need for synthetic oils. However, the I-6 in the jeep isn't nearly as precision. In fact, there are probably gaps small enough to allow synthetic oil to leak whereas organic wouldn't. Just my experience/opinion. Any brand-name 10W-30 will do just fine. It's what your jeep was designed to use.

Andy
thanks yo.. you answered my quastion just perfect..
I'll use whater.. or maybe I'll put some vodka in there..

hehehe.. ya I wanned to know should I use syn or org..
I put syn on my old Yamaha Bike and after few k miles engen started to acting up.. so rebuilding that now as a winter project..

dont wonna repeat that on my new jeep
thanks again..
post #6 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 10:17 AM
NCjeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEAKACRAZYDOG
thanks yo.. you answered my quastion just perfect..
I'll use whater.. or maybe I'll put some vodka in there..

I've heard Budweiser works good too.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Alphadux

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCjeeps
I've heard Budweiser works good too.
If you're really low on $$$ you can always just piss in there instead...

Black 2000 TJ Sport, 4.0 Manual, Hard/Soft Top
AFE Intake, Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
Banks Torque Tube Headers/Cat-Back Stinger Exhaust System
Dana 44 's, 4-wheel discs
Alpine CDA 9815 MP3/Infinity Kappas 4x6"s, 6 1/2"s, 12"s/ 800watt sounds
4" Superlift 33X12.5 BFG A/T KOs on 15/8" AR Wheels
Warn 9.5 ti Winch is next!

Vampire Jeep Owners Club #13
Black Jeep Club Member #69
Follow Me To Certain Death Jeep Club Member #31
BIG GUNS AND JEEP OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB FOUNDER
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 08:10 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

the "secret" is not really 'which oil', rather 'how often' you change it...buy a decent dino oil and change it religiously...

Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil1, whatever...

personally, no synthetics for me either (at least not oil...I do use synthetic gear lubes)...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 08:52 PM
newjo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run amsoil, I ahve 52 K and have been using it for about 30K never had any problems or leaks. Use the flush kit as instructed, use the amsoil filter and change you oil every 7500 miles or 6 months. COst less in the long run and actually perfoms better. up here in the North East the winter cranking is not an issue running the sythetic and the overheating is not an issue when I am down in Viriginia in the hottest part of summer.

There is a lot of good info out on the web reference both, and I guess it is liken to a chevy/ford debate.

The guy that got me hooked on amsoil has run all his vehicles with Amsoil since 1972 and all have gone over 300K. His unimog, range rover and lexus all have amsoil and have since their first oil change.

Stephen Gallagher
Founder
North East Willy's Jeeps Organization
www.newjo.org
post #10 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 09:01 PM
audie

A Unimog & Lexus, Kewl.
I use Dino oil, TropArtic 5-30. I worry more about checking & changing it regularly, every 3 months or 3 thou.

98 SE
post #11 of 18 Old 12-13-2003, 09:23 PM
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
the "secret" is not really 'which oil', rather 'how often' you change it...buy a decent dino oil and change it religiously...

Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil1, whatever...

personally, no synthetics for me either (at least not oil...I do use synthetic gear lubes)...

Greg

BigWaylon is right, using a synthetic oil only excedes the normal limit of breakdown in the oils viscosity. But, you still need to change the oil regardless of what type you use, in accordance to the manufacturer's time table.

Amsoil claims you can run up to 25k on their oil.....whatever. Their advertising is full of half-truths when it comes down to viscosity breakdown. They have the public believe they have some secret formula that outperforms the other synthetics....I suggest you do some reading by independent agencies.

I still have an 88 Cherokee, it's over 300k now and I've been using Mobil1 5-30. Changed roughly every 4k......so pick a good grade oil and keep up with your changes.

Also, do a search on this site and you will find a few hundred posts on this specific issue and some much better reading on the Amsoil/Mobil 1 arguement.

LIFE IS TOUGH ENOUGH ALREADY, IT'S EVEN TOUGHER WHEN YOU'RE STUPID.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
post #12 of 18 Old 12-14-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
ICEAKACRAZYDOG

Thank you all..

seams like lots of you like Mobil 1 hmm..
my friend useing that on chevy astro low rider and another on xtera01..
and I used that back in russia on dirt bike.. hmm..
I think I'll stick with Mobil 1 not sure if I wonna do syn tho.. just org will do..
dont wonna flash and do all that crap..

another quastion yo.. no I never done it and never will but just wondering.. what if u mix syn and org .. like lets say
you use syn and when your oil drops to add you start adding org oil.. ?

thanks again yo all
post #13 of 18 Old 12-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Cynic

just use a dino oil and save the money....my xg/f had 200k+ miles on her 4.0L and she got it change like twice a year and dogged it everywhere she went....its a good engine....if u change the oil per schedule the wheels will fall off before the engine blows up....
post #14 of 18 Old 12-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEAKACRAZYDOG

another quastion yo.. no I never done it and never will but just wondering.. what if u mix syn and org .. like lets say
you use syn and when your oil drops to add you start adding org oil.. ?
Synthetic and dino oils are fully compatible with each other so if you're down a quart and need to add a quart of 'the other', no problem. However, theoretically, the balance and type of additives in different brands or types of oils are different so its best not to mix different types of oils. But to be sure, synthetic and dino oils are perfectly compatible with each other and mixing them won't harm anything.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-15-2003, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
ICEAKACRAZYDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Synthetic and dino oils are fully compatible with each other so if you're down a quart and need to add a quart of 'the other', no problem. However, theoretically, the balance and type of additives in different brands or types of oils are different so its best not to mix different types of oils. But to be sure, synthetic and dino oils are perfectly compatible with each other and mixing them won't harm anything.
cool.. some one was telling me if u do that ..
it'll f your engine up really bad .. he was saying that oil will get hard in engine lol yaa I was saying no way not pass...
but he gave me bunch of crap so I was like whatever and asked on forum hehehe..
thanks now I can give him this to read hehehe.. ..
thanks yo..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.