Best mirrors when taking of full doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best mirrors when taking of full doors?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
orangecrush03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best mirrors when taking of full doors?

I’ve been searching the forums and I’ve read a lot of posts where people have *****ed about certain cheap mirrors that they install when removing their hard doors.

I remember on my last few Jeeps, I could never find a decent set of mirrors to use without them vibrating.

Of course, I didn’t know the forum existed then neither.

So, what’s my best route for a set of mirrors I can quickly remove if I remove my hard doors. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,

Mark

orangecrush03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Lange Quick Mirror II. I had 2 but i overtightened one and broke the stud. Only had them loosen and swing once on the interstate. Otherwise good.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Made my own:

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

skid row...then you never have to move your mirrors again
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
YoungGun
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I heard outlaw mirrors are pretty good. Kinda pricey but they look like they are worth it.
images-2-.jpg  
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Harley Long stem.
Agent620 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

my dad opted for the skid row relocation brackets. keeps the stock mirrors but moves them to the window hing area. if your running with the window down undo the 2 knobs and they are off. no vibration issues and with the pass side relocated its much easier to see with a passanger in the jeep now vs the stock mount on the door

1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
orangecrush03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
swag offroad...then you never have to move your mirrors again
Went to their website... nothing in products. I’ll call and see what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
I heard outlaw mirrors are pretty good. Kinda pricey but they look like they are worth it.
Went to Quadratec’s site. No longer available. Hadn’t checked any other site yet. (at least in black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
Harley Long stem.

Don’t those vibrate at speed? (not sure if they’re all not going to)
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
4wheelrampage

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
swag offroad...then you never have to move your mirrors again
I just looked on Swag's site, and unless I missed something they don't offer mirrors or mirror re-locators.

EDIT:^Beat me to it, and I checked again. There is nothing advertised.
Therefore, tasting a drop of antifreeze actually makes you stronger :)
[/quote]

Mac users : control+option+command+8
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
TBombadillo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Use the Harley longstem mirrors. I got mine for $16 each (used) at a local bike parts store (Not the Harley dealership, they will charge 3-4 times that!). To address the vibration issue, as well as protecting the paint on my door hinges, I use a bonded washer on top and bottom of threaded mount. Bonded washers have a layer of rubber glued to the steel. Torque on by hand and good to go! I recommend buying a few sets worth since they are cheap and the rubber can be damaged from repeatedly taking them on and off. Here is an example, I got mine at the local Ace hardware. Easy, and no vibes.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0160878
The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not lie” in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment. -George Carlin
TBombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
orangecrush03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBombadillo View Post
Use the Harley longstem mirrors. I got mine for $16 each (used) at a local bike parts store (Not the Harley dealership, they will charge 3-4 times that!). To address the vibration issue, as well as protecting the paint on my door hinges, I use a bonded washer on top and bottom of threaded mount. Bonded washers have a layer of rubber glued to the steel. Torque on by hand and good to go! I recommend buying a few sets worth since they are cheap and the rubber can be damaged from repeatedly taking them on and off. Here is an example, I got mine at the local Ace hardware. Easy, and no vibes.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0160878

Is it pretty safe to say that if you relocate the mirrors so you don’t have to keep swapping them on and off, they’ll either stick out too far or hit the doors?

BTW, can you post a pic of your mirror setup.

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
orangecrush03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I like my Lange Quick Mirror II. I had 2 but i overtightened one and broke the stud. Only had them loosen and swing once on the interstate. Otherwise good.

The pic I looked at... do you just screw a big knob to tighten it? (anotherwards, no tools?)... cause I really like the idea of being able to just remove them easily without tools.

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I made my own also. I just too a round 3 inch mirror that is used for tractor trailers, and attached it to a bolt that slides in the hinge where the doors go. Its perfect and DOT approved so you don't have to worry about a ticket. All in all cost about 5 dollars.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
orangecrush03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Pens View Post
I made my own also. I just too a round 3 inch mirror that is used for tractor trailers, and attached it to a bolt that slides in the hinge where the doors go. Its perfect and DOT approved so you don't have to worry about a ticket. All in all cost about 5 dollars.
One question....

How are you keeping it still from vibrating and/or removal?

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
TBombadillo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I swap the full doors on and off over the summer depending on where I am driving to and where I am parking (like if I am driving into Denver for the evening or going camping with any chance of rain...). So my Harley mirrors might get swapped out 5 or 6 times over the season. Since it takes about 90 seconds for each side I don't find it to be much of a trouble.

Sorry but I don't have any pics. Here is a link to a thread over at Wranglerforums.com. Post #11 has pics that are about the exact setup I use.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/mirr...ion-94907.html
The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not lie” in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment. -George Carlin
TBombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.