Best midrange shocks, and cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best midrange shocks, and cost?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
THeGAME
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best midrange shocks, and cost?

Hey guys.

Ive got a 2in spring lift, and Im running 265x75/r15s.

Tomorrow, Ill be the proud papa of some like new 32x11.5s.

My current shocks are more than questionable. They have been on the 2000 Sahara so long the rubber grommets have either slipped the shock, totally shredded, or are gone completely. That doesnt leave me any confidence in them. Im taking it to the shop this week to have a few things done, and as long as they have it in the air, I thought Id replace the shocks. They can just replace the grommets, but as I just bought the Jeep a few months ago, I dont know its history and would feel better with new shocks all around.

SO!
For a daily driver/light trail sometimes 2000 TJ, what is a good mid range set of 4 shocks and the price? I dont need the gold plated ones, but I dont want Wallys $1 whole sale either. I am on a budget.

Advice for a decent road ride, and the ability to play on the dirt and small rocks once in a while?

Thanks for reading!

Unread 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Old Man Emu shocks, both on and off the road.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
THeGAME
2000 TJ Wrangler 

More budgety..

$150 range for all four..
Looking to get it basic solid as it been on the road for 13yrs and I dont know anything about it.

Ill play with it next tax season.
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you still running OEM length shocks? Either way, for that budget I'd just go to Napa and get their Monroe Sensatrac shocks. Those will be fine.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker and Pro-Comp could probably be had for $150 for 4. Rancho's would probably be $200. I've run Rancho shocks on my YJ, they were ok.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06
Skyjacker and Pro-Comp could probably be had for $150 for 4. Rancho's would probably be $200. I've run Rancho shocks on my YJ, they were ok.
I've had skyjacker hydros and I liked them. They get my vote.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Low-Cost, High-Pressure Monotubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
More budgety..

$150 range for all four..
Looking to get it basic solid as it been on the road for 13yrs and I dont know anything about it.

Ill play with it next tax season.
In that price range, I'm guessing the strongest on-road performer would be KYB Gasajust. It's a monotube with a high-pressure gas charge (280 psi, last time I checked), so it will give you high-end performance on road.

Another advantage of Gasjust is that their compressed lengths appear to be a good fit for factory bumpstops. Most other "no-lift" shocks require rear bumpstop extension (1.25" for OME, 0.75" for many of the others). Even Monroe-branded rear shocks are too long for factory bumpstops. However, their Rancho 7000 no-lift shock appears to be a good fit for factory bumps.

I've been seeing on-line adds popping up for Gasajust at $35 per shock (sorry I don't remember where, but normally they were had for $50). As the least expensive monotube, I doubt Gasjust has multi-stage valving, but they should not be excessively firm off road, because their gas charge is not as high as Bilstein's.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Muddeprived

Zone's nitro shocks. They will fit your budget and ride very nicely. I prefer them over any other budget shock.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're still in the market, I just wanted to point out this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bi...g-out-1466218/

It seems the guy got shocks that seemed as though they might fit factory bumpstops, but they didn't quite work out (compressed length a bit longer than spec, etc.).

The budget KYB monotubes that I mentioned are spec'd with a slightly shorter compressed length (than the ones discussed in that thread) in the rear, so they should work, but you'll still want to double-check as suggested in that thread.

Near the end of the thread, they discuss adding a washer or 2 to the bumpstops, if it turns out your shocks almost fit, but not quite.

Need to be especially careful about compressed length on rear shocks, because so many of the "no lift" shocks for TJs can require significant bumpstop extension, like 0.75" or greater.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My recommendations for a mid-priced shock:

BDS 5500 - about $50/shock. (might be identical to cheaper Zone shocks, but I'm not positive)

Bilstein 5100 - about $75/shock.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.