Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best Jeep Repair Manual (in your opinion)

20K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Knuckelhead 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I would like to work on my 04 Jeep Rubi (brakes, maintenance) and would like to do the work myself. I don't have very much knowledge when it comes to turning the wrench, but if you give me a book and I have all the right tools then I'm game. In your opinion, what is the best repair manual out there? One with the best instructions? I have the FSM and while reading it I felt like some steps were missing. So I'd like to find a book that can help me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Well I can tell you for sure to avoid the Haynes book....it has some interesting information, but if you want something that includes each and every step with detailed descriptions, forget about it....

#8 ·
where can i get said .pdf file of FSM?

#10 ·
Funny you bring that all up. I amin the same boat.

I am planning my very first wrench turning on my TJ this weekend,....and I have been trying to find that stupid FSM to buy and it is nowhere to be found. Don't they sell it to the public or what?
I've found some particular system FSM's (like the transmission..etc) on EBAY....but not the whole thing!

#11 ·
I bought a laptop it works great having the FSM on my work bench now.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I have had both PDF and the real deal which may cost more but is worth every penny of it . Its easier to bookmark a couple sections as it normally has you jumpimg to different sections on larger projects . I found its quicker than trying to scroll back and forth through the PDF version . I buy one for every vehicle I own that I work on .

#19 ·
I am getting ready to replace my brakes on the Rubi. The front ones are cake (pondering on doing rotors as well). Might as well get it all while I am at it! Its the rear drums that I'm kind of nervous about. I found a good write up, I just need the tools and the materials. I am pretty sure I can do it seems simple enough. I just have to have the patience and the common sense.

#20 ·
Sorry, I guess my link is bad. It worked for me last year.

My trick for drum brakes, do one side at a time, that way you have an assembles one to look at anytime you have a question about something.

#21 ·
#26 ·
Speaking of the FSM... I bought one book from ebay, I think it has to be like a collection, isn't it? Do I need the rest?

#31 ·
I picked up a physical book copy of the 2003 FSM for my Jeep, but....I'm questioning a few things now. Did the spark plugs the other day and every source (haynes manual, and numerous sites, including Jeep Forum), except for the FSM said to gap to 0.035". FSM said 0.040". With all the JeepForum posts, and other sources saying 0.035" I decided to do that.

Just seems weird that the FSM was "wrong"....does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

#40 ·
Created free account at JeepsLimited.com as mentioned above, confirmed my email, and found/downloaded the FSM and a Parts List for each of our models all in less than 6 mins total and for Free. So awesome suggestion :thumbsup:

~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.