Best engine coolant? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best engine coolant?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best engine coolant?

Stick with Prestone or should I try the Royal Purple stuff? Don't mean to be a nerd but I'm putting a new radiator in my Jeep tonight and I'd like to start off right.

Thanks,

Is there a better brand of coolant? Orange, green? I've always just used what was available. I'd like to change my lazy ways. And yes I searched the forums... like a needle in a hay stack.

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

HOAT is the good stuff but your TJ's cooling system really needs to be flushed thoroughly before changing to HOAT which will outlast any other type of coolant. I would stick with Prestone who has been making coolant a lot longer than Royal Purple who likely just buys it from someone else anyway.

Whatever coolant you decide on, be sure to ONLY mix it with distilled water like is sold by the gallon in your local grocery store, don't use tap water. That is if the coolant you buy is concentrated and requires water be mixed in with it which is the more economical way to buy it. Pre-mixed coolants are a lot more expensive for what you get.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Zerex GO5 + distilled water. flush well with a Prestone flush kit + garden hose. color means nothing...stop thinking in terms of color...thats just dye. do NOT use Dex-Cool.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm replacing the radiator so I really only need to fliush the block.
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
I'm replacing the radiator so I really only need to fliush the block.
and the heater core and all hoses....
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looked on the prestone site and didn't see anything like hoat...
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Prestone's extended life antifreeze/coolant is HOAT based.

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have trouble finding the HOAT stuff around here as well. Everything is purely glycol-based... (Edit: Meaning, I can't find anything with a HOAT additive.)

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide

Last edited by Sundowner; 07-20-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

People have been using the cheap stuff for years. People say you need this and you need that. Screw that just put the good ol stuff back in. Youll be fine. Like everyone says you need currie ca's rockjocks etc. blah blah blah
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
People have been using the cheap stuff for years. People say you need this and you need that. Screw that just put the good ol stuff back in. Youll be fine. Like everyone says you need currie ca's rockjocks etc. blah blah blah
People also rode horses for years...until the automobile made that form of transportation mostly obsolete. Just because something was used "for years" doesn't make it superior; conversely, the relative newness of any given product doesn't make it superior, either. In this case, everything I've heard about HOAT allows me to easily pick products with it over the plain glycol alternatives, and to pay a bit more for them as well.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Zerex GO5 + distilled water. flush well with a Prestone flush kit + garden hose. color means nothing...stop thinking in terms of color...thats just dye. do NOT use Dex-Cool.
Color is actually very significant. Green is the original non organic, some would say "universal" coolant. Orange, pink, dark green, and some other colors are OAT the organic coolants that you don't want to mix with green because you lose ALL benefits of OAT. You also do not want to put OAT coolants in older cars that have brass/copper radiators and heater cores because it will reduce their life.

Personally, the original Prestone Green is the best. Only advantage to the organic coolants is they last longer. Green is cheaper, can be found at any gas station and auto parts store, and as long as you change it regularly you will have no problems.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Color is actually very significant. Green is the original non organic, some would say "universal" coolant. Orange, pink, dark green, and some other colors are OAT the organic coolants that you don't want to mix with green because you lose ALL benefits of OAT. You also do not want to put OAT coolants in older cars that have brass/copper radiators and heater cores because it will reduce their life.

Personally, the original Prestone Green is the best. Only advantage to the organic coolants is they last longer. Green is cheaper, can be found at any gas station and auto parts store, and as long as you change it regularly you will have no problems.
Color means nothing anymore in coolants.

The OEM HOAT Chrysler is orange,Zerex GO5(HOAT) is yellow,same stuff different dyes.OAT coolants(Dexacool and it's clones) come in green,blue,yellow,red,orange,and pink.

Just because it's green does not make it the "old school" IAT Ethylene Glycol.

FYI..............

Prestone only makes OAT coolants(Dexacool clones),they do not offer any HOAT coolants.

Quote:
All Makes/All Models Claims
Honeywell's advertisements and product labeling claim that Prestone extended life antifreeze/coolant can be used in vehicles of "all makes, all models."

The panel determined that one reasonable consumer takeaway from the "all makes, all models" claim is that Prestone meets any required specifications established by vehicle manufacturers.

Prestone utilizes Organic Acid Technology (OAT). Ford and DaimlerChrysler vehicles of recent vintage have antifreeze/coolant that utilizes Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT), and Ford and DaimlerChrysler specifications call for HOAT antifreeze/coolants in their vehicles. Ford and DaimlerChrysler account for a significant number of vehicle sales in the United States, and their specifications requiring HOAT antifreeze/coolants, as well as their warnings to consumers about possible damage if OAT antifreeze/coolants are used, are enough to establish that the "meets manufacturer specifications" message has not been substantiated.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Prestone only makes OAT coolants(Dexacool clones),they do not offer any HOAT coolants.
If that is true, I withdraw my above recommendation for Prestone's Extended Life coolant. I would not install any OAT type coolant into a Jeep. I had read in several locations, not Prestone's website however that did not say, that their 5 year coolant was HOAT, so I'm not sure now if it is or not. I'm going to try to find out for sure.

Unread 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If that is true, I withdraw my above recommendation for Prestone's Extended Life coolant. I would not install any OAT type coolant into a Jeep. I had read in several locations, not Prestone's website however that did not say, that their 5 year coolant was HOAT, so I'm not sure now if it is or not. I'm going to try to find out for sure.
Last time I looked on their website, nothing Prestone made was "approved" Chrysler MS-9769 (HOAT spec). Zerex GO5 is MS-9769 spec'ed, and is authorized for use in Ford, Chrysler and Mercedes vehicles requiring HOAT.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Last time I looked on their website, nothing Prestone made was "approved" Chrysler MS-9769 (HOAT spec). Zerex GO5 is MS-9769 spec'ed, and is authorized for use in Ford, Chrysler and Mercedes vehicles requiring HOAT.
From Prestone's website page at Prestone :: Car Care : FAQ

When tested in ASTM D 1384, D 4340, D 2570, and D 2809, Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant will meet the chemical, physical property characteristics and performance requirements of the following standards and specifications:

GM 1825M
GM 1899
Ford WSE-M97B44-A
Ford ESE-M97B44-B
DaimlerChrysler MS 7170 and MS 9769
General Services Administration A-A-52624
ASTM D 3306
SAE J 1034
ASTM D 4985

So if the MS 9769 is indeed a HOAT spec as you say it is, that Prestone's Extended Life coolant does indeed meet the HOAT spec.

Tags
coolant , best , advice , help , radiator , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.