Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage

47K views 117 replies 33 participants last post by  Jerry Bransford 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2005 jeep wrangler rubicon and am trying to add a little HP while most importantly gaining gas millage. I have looked at throttle body spacers, COI, and a performance chip. :confused:

#79 · (Edited)
I don't get you guys being so crappy about someone making a post that was already made 5 years ago. If there were no reposts, there would be nothing new to talk about and this forum would die. So chill out, just because you've seen it before doesn't mean someone else has. It's people like you who run away decent jeepers who come here just to learn, share, and have a good time talking about jeeps.

#9 ·
The only thing to help the mileage is to go easy on the skinny pedal. The only thing those mods will do is lighten your wallet faster than the gas pump does!

#32 ·
Thanks for all of the constructive comments. To those who like to bully a post…. It only shows a lack of self-esteem when you try to make yourself look good at the expense of others.
We only bully the posts of those who are incapable of constructing a simple question and then are incapable of understanding the answers they get.

Someone must have perceived that pair of shoes fit you quite nicely.

OTOH, some of us don't really have self esteem issues and just like kicking idiots around. Kinda like a soda can laying in the street, if you time it just right, you don't even have break stride to send it flying.

We'll just call you Soda from here on out if that's okay by you???

#28 ·
The cheapest, well not the cheapest but best way to get more HP and mileage, is to swap in 5.3L vortec, or a desiel. But neither of these are cheap, what you get is what you get, you could do a stroker for less than a V8 swap gain some HP but not much for mileage. The best way to get more power is get really small tires and make it a low rider. Or trade it in for a honda civic.

#30 ·
get used to it bud. You have to see things from the other side. Every day brand new members ask the same fundamental questions that are covered in the FAQ's and expect long explanations. It tends to clutter the forum and it is irritating for those with real troubleshooting or technical issues that legitimately need help. That's why you'll see alot of "Just ****ing SEARCH already!" responses. They don't go unwarranted.

A good sense of humor and thick skin (not skull) will go a long way here as well.

#31 ·
LOL, I will start to use the search function.

You gave some good advice and I am appreciative for that.

I am not a mechanic, I am a college educated young man that has just taken up a new hobbie.. Therefore I think you might have me confused.

As far as seeng things on the other side.. Here you go buddy... Hypathetical situationn here..

I am a new mechanic and have been a mechanic for years.... I am not that computer savvy and write a post for a general problem that I am having.

You or another make a rude comment to my post. I get ticked off and never visit this post again.

Conclusion- You just ticked a mechanic off that might have the solution to the next up and coming post.

I hope you and others are able to find better way to approach new users in the future.

BTW- I think my skull is normal... LOL

#43 ·
Since it was inexpensive, I ordered the air tube/throttle body spacer kit for my STOCK 06 TJ from Rusty's Off-Road. All it is is a TB spacer, a piece of hardware to reposition your stock air tube, and a K & N filter. I'm not saying it's a miracle worker, but amid all the intake bashing, for around $120 I saw a slight improvement in MPG and a slight increase in 'pep', especially when pulling the RPM's out of the basement in 2nd-4th gears. Maybe it's because I'm pretty much bone stock right now, but the money spent is justified by the albeit slight but noticeable increase. Just my two cents.

#47 ·
Can you post the gains aside from saying they were "slight"?

Here's the truth about such add-on's:

K&N Filter: It's a ****ty filter. It lets more dirt through than any others on the market.
Because on the 4.0L engine, the air intake is most assuredly not restrictive in the least. There are quite a few cars out there, like the Mustang for example, that have purposely restrictive air intakes... but the Jeep air intake system is not restrictive. Its maximum supportable CFM air intake level is literally well above the maximum CFM air intake the engine is capable of pulling at high rpms and WOT. This is directly from a confirming telephone call on this very subject that I personally had with Jeep engineering, specifically their most senior engineer that had contacted me on a different issue earlier in the year. In other words, it's not hear-say. And as I personally run a "less restrictive" (not really though) K&N with a TurboCity air intake tube, I can say there is no perceived performance difference... unless a noisier engine can be termed to be performing better. And of course there is always the placebo effect... I spent over $200 for a FIPK and it's louder so my engine must be definitely more powerful now. ;) :D
The other well known air filter test that was done more scientifically can be viewed at http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The most telling chart and text accompanying that chart from that test is this one...

"In the chart (below) it's important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N "plugged up" nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt." (end of quote from the air filter test)
TBS: It doesn't do anything. Here's why: On the Jeep TJ, the air and fuel mix AFTER the throttle body, not in it. Therefore, the air/fuel mixture is the same in every way whether you bolt the spacer on or not.

That's nothing more than the well-known placebo effect at work.

With the type of throttle body the TJ uses, a spacer placed under it will do nothing. Spacers can do wonders under carburetors and older style throttle body injection systems where the fuel was injected into the throttle body itself, but not on the TJ's throttle body that passes nothing but air through it. Fuel doesn't even come close to the TJ's throttle body, fuel is injected well below the throttle body, directly into the combustion chambers via individual fuel injectors. :)

#52 ·
Actually if you add it up $120 is recouped in around 9000 miles. If you consider a +2 increase in mpg at a savings of .013$ per mile. 300 miles to a tank x .013 = $3.90 savings per tank at $1.90 per gallon. $120 / $3.9 = 31 tanks. As much as I drive on a daily basis to work it will take me less than 10 months. I never said it was the greatest mod ever, it's my opinion. That's what these threads are for, right?

#57 ·
I don't really see that as a thread-specific answer, but ok. I'm just giving the guy some input. FYI: when I add the phrase "just my two cents", that means it's my experience, my data, and I'm passing it on. It's not the Gospel, you can take it as you'd like. Nevermind Soda, don't buy it, it's garbage.

- some guy on a forum

#69 ·
Ya'll making me laugh down here in Texas. Sometimes I just read the threads just to get a good laugh. Hey, I got a 06 4 banger with a 6 speed, 3.73 gears with 31's and I get about 21 MPG but I have no power. I knew that when I bought it. It's a Jeep and I just cruise down the road in the slow lane. Ya'll keep up the good work. I've learned alot here and the search button is amazing.

#74 ·
if you think this is bad try pirate. this is nothing, but these threads start every week and if you use the search you can find tons of useful information and blaine and unlimited really know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.