Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #91
MayRoll
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
A good sense of humor and thick skin (not skull) will go a long way here as well.
Ah... Well in that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
unless you've got a 42RLE automatic. you want 5.38s for 35s with the 42RLE.
You dumb***. He's not going to get any power to the ground with that regear. 5.13 is as low as he can go.

MayRoll is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #92
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I had hoped you would get there sooner but, at least you made it.




I can assure you that I am far from a mouthy little punk and you're welcome to start a topic of your choice. We already know it ain't spelling.





Oh wow, an internet tough guy. One thread that didn't go your way and you're making threats? I'd encourage you to keep that crap to yourself. You never know who may sitting across the keyboard from you.




No you haven't, you'll be back, they always come back.
I made no threat I just simply stated that you would not run your mouth like that in person and that my friend IS a fact of life (FYI-I say that with GREAT confidence). You see buddy I don't really need your wisdom like some of your followers and think it is sick that some dismiss your poor attitude because of it. You should take some time out of your busy life here on these forums and read over your posts here on this thread. If you were my son I would be ashamed of how you treat people that you don't know, after all you never know when you are going to end up being the soda can. God Bless you my friend because you need it.
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #93
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Ah... Well in that case...



You dumb***. He's not going to get any power to the ground with that regear. 5.13 is as low as he can go.
LOL, in his greatness he gets corrected.... PRICELESS.....
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #94
UnlimitedNJ
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
For Christ sake can a mod please lock this thread and end this stupid crap.
__________________
Why don't you go back to your home on whore island?!
UnlimitedNJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #95
2005X
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 8,276
not that it matters anymore since this is a pissing match, but this pic is the reason i would never bother with a CAI
__________________
www.youtube.com/kgries
2005X is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #96
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
not that it matters anymore since this is a pissing match, but this pic is the reason i would never bother with a CAI
Sorry, I agree and am done with the pissing contest. Is there a way to delete this thread if you are the one that created it? I am new to the site and got a lot more than I bargained for with this one LOL. I like the fact that you backed your opinion with a picture. It was mentioned several times that the COI systems let a lot more dirt pass through your engine but your picture really brings a new light to "dirt" lol. It looks like you had a good time. At this point I am not going to mod my engine and I am just going to run higher octane fuel because that seems to do the trick with the gas millage. I have had 4 jeeps this being my first wrangler and think that the whole 16-18 MPG is a joke unless you run high octane fuel. I can see 18 on the highway but 16 in the city is a stretch at best. Fortunately I have a job in this messed up economy and will not have to worrie about the cost of my gas as much. This post was more the less to try and be more green I guess. Yes, I know if I wanted to be more green I should have gotten a civic but I got a jeep and I was just trying to pick the brains of others to see what might have worked for them. I will in the future use the search button.. LOL
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #97
Poobah
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
Sorry, I agree and am done with the pissing contest. Is there a way to delete this thread if you are the one that created it? I am new to the site and got a lot more than I bargained for with this one LOL. I like the fact that you backed your opinion with a picture. It was mentioned several times that the COI systems let a lot more dirt pass through your engine but your picture really brings a new light to "dirt" lol. It looks like you had a good time. At this point I am not going to mod my engine and I am just going to run higher octane fuel because that seems to do the trick with the gas millage. I have had 4 jeeps this being my first wrangler and think that the whole 16-18 MPG is a joke unless you run high octane fuel. I can see 18 on the highway but 16 in the city is a stretch at best. Fortunately I have a job in this messed up economy and will not have to worrie about the cost of my gas as much. This post was more the less to try and be more green I guess. Yes, I know if I wanted to be more green I should have gotten a civic but I got a jeep and I was just trying to pick the brains of others to see what might have worked for them. I will in the future use the search button.. LOL
Actually, not sure where you got the idea of higher octane fuel for your Jeep, but it has been proven over and over that anything over the 87 does nothing for you...might search for that one too! Welcome to JF by the way...hang in there.
__________________
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #98
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
I have had 4 jeeps this being my first wrangler and think that the whole 16-18 MPG is a joke unless you run high octane fuel. I can see 18 on the highway but 16 in the city is a stretch at best. Fortunately I have a job in this messed up economy and will not have to worrie about the cost of my gas as much. This post was more the less to try and be more green I guess. Yes, I know if I wanted to be more green I should have gotten a civic but I got a jeep and I was just trying to pick the brains of others to see what might have worked for them. I will in the future use the search button.. LOL
16-18 mpg is good for a wrangler, bigger tires will drop it to 11-14. higher octane fuel won't give you any benefits either. The 4.0L has an 8.8:1 compression ratio, which is designed to burn 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuels won't burn completely in the combustion chamber and you'll get carbon build up inside the head and an associated power and mileage decline. In fact, if you read the Jeep's manual, it actually says this and that the warranty won't cover damage caused by gas with octanes higher than 87.
Unlimited04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #99
Poobah
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
This post was more the less to try and be more green I guess. Yes, I know if I wanted to be more green I should have gotten a civic but I got a jeep and I was just trying to pick the brains of others to see what might have worked for them.
Also - if you want to feel better about being more green...the dust to dust report that goes out annually (starting in 2005 I believe) usually has the Wrangler near the top...and I think (though I could be wrong) in 2005 the Wrangler was number 1 for greenest vehicle...and I think you have a 2005...so now you can feel better about the whole green thing! www.cnwmr. com
__________________
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #100
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
Actually, not sure where you got the idea of higher octane fuel for your Jeep, but it has been proven over and over that anything over the 87 does nothing for you...might search for that one too! Welcome to JF by the way...hang in there.
I am running it now and seem to have pickup in gas millage but could be wrong. I have only had my wrangler for about three weeks now so I am just trying to find out what works. I think it could also be that I am trying to nail down what RPM's I need to shift at with the 6 speed. I was told at 2000 by a guy at work with a 5 speed but the thing seems to take forever to get to 35 MPH shifting at 2000. That might just be something that I have to live with though..
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #101
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
Also - if you want to feel better about being more green...the dust to dust report that goes out annually (starting in 2005 I believe) usually has the Wrangler near the top...and I think (though I could be wrong) in 2005 the Wrangler was number 1 for greenest vehicle...and I think you have a 2005...so now you can feel better about the whole green thing! www.cnwmr. com
thats correct the wrangler is considered one of the most recyclable after death and costs the least amount of energy to manufacturer. It beats the Prius!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...le-423233.html
Unlimited04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #102
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
16-18 mpg is good for a wrangler, bigger tires will drop it to 11-14. higher octane fuel won't give you any benefits either. The 4.0L has an 8.8:1 compression ratio, which is designed to burn 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuels won't burn completely in the combustion chamber and you'll get carbon build up inside the head and an associated power and mileage decline. In fact, if you read the Jeep's manual, it actually says this and that the warranty won't cover damage caused by gas with octanes higher than 87.
Good to know! Thanks!
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #103
zanash2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
Also - if you want to feel better about being more green...the dust to dust report that goes out annually (starting in 2005 I believe) usually has the Wrangler near the top...and I think (though I could be wrong) in 2005 the Wrangler was number 1 for greenest vehicle...and I think you have a 2005...so now you can feel better about the whole green thing! www.cnwmr. com
LOL, that is awesome! I did not expect that at all.
zanash2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #104
T0ADMAN
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
I swear one of these days I'm going to write a 'TJ Tech Bootcamp' thread for all new members to read (or ignore, like everything else )

Actually, I'd love something like that. I'm trying to search and read as much as I can. (I'm a new member and a new Jeeper) There is just so much to learn and I don't even know where to start. I'll just keep lurking until I have more intelligent things to say. But the more info aimed at the ignorant the better imo

Keep up the good work educating us (truly no sarcasm); we have to start somewhere
T0ADMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #105
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
I made no threat I just simply stated that you would not run your mouth like that in person and that my friend IS a fact of life
(FYI-I say that with GREAT confidence).
Actually in real life, I run my mouth a lot more and that is a fact. I adhere to the forum rules because I prefer not to be banned for abusing them, but I assure you, you have your facts incorrect.



Quote:
You see buddy I don't really need your wisdom like some of your followers and think it is sick that some dismiss your poor attitude because of it.
You're making me giggle. You'd do well not to be so bothered.



Quote:
You should take some time out of your busy life here on these forums and read over your posts here on this thread. If you were my son I would be ashamed of how you treat people that you don't know, after all you never know when you are going to end up being the soda can. God Bless you my friend because you need it.
I've been busy all day and still find time to kick the can. Finished up swapping a pair of Rubi axles under a TJ, did some troubleshooting for a product I'm developing, squared up some issues with another product I helped develop, found time to snag another rig and drive it home to build some custom brakes on, and still managed to irritate you some more. All in all, a very good day.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.