Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #46
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
Do you happen to know how to delete a thread in your infinite wisdom because you sure know how to screw one up? Thanks Pal!
If you want to go that route, good luck. You better strap in tightly, though. It might hurt.

Unread 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #47
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers6 View Post
Since it was inexpensive, I ordered the air tube/throttle body spacer kit for my STOCK 06 TJ from Rusty's Off-Road. All it is is a TB spacer, a piece of hardware to reposition your stock air tube, and a K & N filter. I'm not saying it's a miracle worker, but amid all the intake bashing, for around $120 I saw a slight improvement in MPG and a slight increase in 'pep', especially when pulling the RPM's out of the basement in 2nd-4th gears. Maybe it's because I'm pretty much bone stock right now, but the money spent is justified by the albeit slight but noticeable increase. Just my two cents.
Can you post the gains aside from saying they were "slight"?

Here's the truth about such add-on's:

K&N Filter: It's a ****ty filter. It lets more dirt through than any others on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Because on the 4.0L engine, the air intake is most assuredly not restrictive in the least. There are quite a few cars out there, like the Mustang for example, that have purposely restrictive air intakes... but the Jeep air intake system is not restrictive. Its maximum supportable CFM air intake level is literally well above the maximum CFM air intake the engine is capable of pulling at high rpms and WOT. This is directly from a confirming telephone call on this very subject that I personally had with Jeep engineering, specifically their most senior engineer that had contacted me on a different issue earlier in the year. In other words, it's not hear-say. And as I personally run a "less restrictive" (not really though) K&N with a TurboCity air intake tube, I can say there is no perceived performance difference... unless a noisier engine can be termed to be performing better. And of course there is always the placebo effect... I spent over $200 for a FIPK and it's louder so my engine must be definitely more powerful now.
Quote:
The other well known air filter test that was done more scientifically can be viewed at http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The most telling chart and text accompanying that chart from that test is this one...

"In the chart (below) it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt." (end of quote from the air filter test)
TBS: It doesn't do anything. Here's why: On the Jeep TJ, the air and fuel mix AFTER the throttle body, not in it. Therefore, the air/fuel mixture is the same in every way whether you bolt the spacer on or not.

Quote:
That's nothing more than the well-known placebo effect at work.

With the type of throttle body the TJ uses, a spacer placed under it will do nothing. Spacers can do wonders under carburetors and older style throttle body injection systems where the fuel was injected into the throttle body itself, but not on the TJ's throttle body that passes nothing but air through it. Fuel doesn't even come close to the TJ's throttle body, fuel is injected well below the throttle body, directly into the combustion chambers via individual fuel injectors.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #48
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since it was inexpensive, I ordered the air tube/throttle body spacer kit for my STOCK 06 TJ from Rusty's Off-Road. All it is is a TB spacer, a piece of hardware to reposition your stock air tube, and a K & N filter. I'm not saying it's a miracle worker, but amid all the intake bashing, for around $120 I saw a slight improvement in MPG and a slight increase in 'pep', especially when pulling the RPM's out of the basement in 2nd-4th gears. Maybe it's because I'm pretty much bone stock right now, but the money spent is justified by the albeit slight but noticeable increase. Just my two cents.
sweet thanks!
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how long do you think it will take to earn your $120 back in gas milage. for most people it will take over 500K miles
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #50
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you happen to know how to delete a thread in your infinite wisdom because you sure know how to screw one up? Thanks Pal!
I refuse to take responsibility for a situation created by other than my own actions. You started this mess by ignoring sound advice and repetitiously questioning those giving it as though you were unhappy with their answers.

There is purely nothing more annoying than someone asking the same question 10 different ways in hopes of seeing a different answer.

You would be far better off to just tell us what you want to hear and save all of us the agony of repeatedly pointing out the obvious to you.
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #51
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I refuse to take responsibility for a situation created by other than my own actions. You started this mess by ignoring sound advice and repetitiously questioning those giving it as though you were unhappy with their answers.

There is purely nothing more annoying than someone asking the same question 10 different ways in hopes of seeing a different answer.

You would be far better off to just tell us what you want to hear and save all of us the agony of repeatedly pointing out the obvious to you.
I understand your frustration but think that your way of showing it is very immature. This was my first thread and was a total mistake. I WILL in the future SEARCH the site before I post.
For you my friend... I hope you learn how to treat people, even in your last post you remained a jerk..

Last edited by zanash2; 03-08-2009 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #52
checkers6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Actually if you add it up $120 is recouped in around 9000 miles. If you consider a +2 increase in mpg at a savings of .013$ per mile. 300 miles to a tank x .013 = $3.90 savings per tank at $1.90 per gallon. $120 / $3.9 = 31 tanks. As much as I drive on a daily basis to work it will take me less than 10 months. I never said it was the greatest mod ever, it's my opinion. That's what these threads are for, right?
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #53
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually if you add it up $120 is recouped in around 9000 miles. If you consider a +2 increase in mpg at a savings of .013$ per mile. 300 miles to a tank x .013 = $3.90 savings per tank at $1.90 per gallon. $120 / $3.9 = 31 tanks. As much as I drive on a daily basis to work it will take me less than 10 months. I never said it was the greatest mod ever, it's my opinion. That's what these threads are for, right?
Please see post #47 above.

You're presenting numbers and all but where is the +2 mpg increase coming from? Just assumptions or biased estimations?

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec

Last edited by WillysEdition04; 03-08-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #54
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL, great reply! Thanks for your advice!
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #55
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL, great reply! Thanks for your advice!
please read post 31 and 36 on this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=594301&page=3
those answers are from the same people who design the jeep, not just some guy on a forum
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #56
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I understand your frustration but think that your way of showing it is very immature. This was my first thread and was a total mistake. I WILL in the future SEARCH the site before I post.
For you my friend... I hope you learn how to treat people, even in your last post you remained a jerk..
Don't take any of this the wrong way, nobody is getting personal or anything. And by the way, its an effort in futility to try and get mrblaine to change the way he words his responses, he's no doubt been posting that way for the entirety of his 7000+ posts and will remain doing so as he has earned the right to. If you value his opinion (as you most definitely should since may end up buying products for your Jeep that he has helped to test and develop...) you will need to just get past the fact that his posts may come off as rude sometimes to people who aren't used to them. For the record, he's not being a bully, he's genuinely trying to help (and trying to have a little fun while helping you ). This really is a great forum and I hope you stay around and you will no doubt realize nobody is here just to be a jerk.
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #57
checkers6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't really see that as a thread-specific answer, but ok. I'm just giving the guy some input. FYI: when I add the phrase "just my two cents", that means it's my experience, my data, and I'm passing it on. It's not the Gospel, you can take it as you'd like. Nevermind Soda, don't buy it, it's garbage.

- some guy on a forum
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #58
Coops
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This works in theory, I used this excuse with my wife to get permission to do some other engine mods , all of which when combined made the jeep a lot more responsive compared to stock but it didn't really get better milage; didn't get any worse either. Depending on what you do you can flow more air and trick the computer but is there a cost savings? nope, none.

To put it in perspective I had a buddy with a stock rubicon (both 5spds), with 31's and 3.73's on mine it had more get up and go than his. Not saying it's now a race jeep, but it will be more livable until I can afford to re-gear. With 33's now it's still livable, it has to be really windy on the highway to not be able to use 5th.

It did give me something to tinker with and the cat back exhaust sounds pretty good so it is worth it in that respect but if you're looking for more power you'd be better off re-gearing.
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #59
deltabravo

easy on the skinny pedal is really about the only way.

I proved that on the last highway trip I took...

set the cruise at 55mph and got 18 mpg, and that's on a heavily modded Rubi.

Typical mileage around town is 12, though i rarely drive it
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #60
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope you learn how to treat people, even in your last post you remained a jerk..
Ain't gonna happen, but, I do have you to thank for encouraging me to adjust my signature so I won't have to keep pointing out the obvious.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.