Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best/cost efficient way to gain HP and gas mileage

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a turbo works basically by cramming more air into a a cylinder....inwhich more fuel can be injected into that same cylinder.....so not really a fuel saver

Unread 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanash2 View Post
Do you think a "turbo charger" will improve the gas millage and if so which one?

You're power and mileage is what it is. You're gonna have to be accepting of that. It sucks, we understand as we deal with it as well.

By the quote marks used around the term turbo charger I'm assuming this task is over your head. It's just too involved and complicated to invest time and money in. It is NOT a common mod on a Jeep TJ.

As previously suggested, keep your air filter clean, change the plugs as needed, and routinely change your oil. Keep tire pressure at the proper levels as well. That's the best advice you will get for increasing mileage on your TJ.

At this point you have 3 options:

1. Listen to us and save yourself the $$$, effort, and discouraging results.
2. SEARCH this forum for other member's experiences with this topic.
3. Ignore our advice, spend money on disappointing mods, and post threads about how the don't work or tell us about the scientific "seat of the pants" results.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the best thing you can do for HP and MPG is re-gear - though I have no idea what size tires you are pushing and what your current gear ratio is...you might already be up to snuff in this department.
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I believe the best thing you can do for HP and MPG is re-gear - though I have no idea what size tires you are pushing and what your current gear ratio is...you might already be up to snuff in this department.
I have a stock 05 6 speed Rubi with 245's on it. Thanks!
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a stock 05 6 speed Rubi with 245's on it. Thanks!
You won't need a regear until you go to at least 33" tires. You're already equipped with 4.10 gearing so you're doing better than those of us with the 3.07 and 3.73 gear sets.

FYI: Re-gears are not cheap either.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
You won't need a regear until you go to at least 33" tires. You're already equipped with 4.10 gearing so you're doing better than those of us with the 3.07 and 3.73 gear sets.

FYI: Re-gears are not cheap either.
So I guess my buddy with an 04 Rubi running 35's on a 4 1/2 inch lift that never regeared is in trouble then?
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you really should use the search function.
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #23
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So I guess my buddy with an 04 Rubi running 35's on a 4 1/2 inch lift that never regeared is in trouble then?
It depends on preference. If he doesn't mind the drop in power, then no need to regear. If I recall correctly, the NV241 TC uses digital speedo calibration so he wouldn'nt need a new speedo gear to correct his speedometer either.

4.10:1 with 35's wouldn't be unlivable.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #24
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It depends on preference. If he doesn't mind the drop in power, then no need to regear. If I recall correctly, the NV241 TC uses digital speedo calibration so he wouldn'nt need a new speedo gear to correct his speedometer either.

cool, thanks for the information! I am new to the wrangler and will eventually lift this one and put 33's on it. Took it off road for the first time this weekend and had so much fun I went back twice!
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
unless you've got a 42RLE automatic. you want 5.38s for 35s with the 42RLE.
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
cool, thanks for the information! I am new to the wrangler and will eventually lift this one and put 33's on it. Took it off road for the first time this weekend and had so much fun I went back twice!
Welcome to the forum. To save you the trouble of waiting for responses, you can find an answer to just about any question you have about the Jeep using the SEARCH function. The TJ Forum FAQ's and TJ Specs threads are "stickies" at the top of the thread list. Use them to find out the specs of your Jeep and properly fill in your profile. This will help other member answer your more technical questions.

I swear one of these days I'm going to write a 'TJ Tech Bootcamp' thread for all new members to read (or ignore, like everything else )

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the constructive comments. To those who like to bully a post…. It only shows a lack of self-esteem when you try to make yourself look good at the expense of others.
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The cheapest, well not the cheapest but best way to get more HP and mileage, is to swap in 5.3L vortec, or a desiel. But neither of these are cheap, what you get is what you get, you could do a stroker for less than a V8 swap gain some HP but not much for mileage. The best way to get more power is get really small tires and make it a low rider. Or trade it in for a honda civic.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #29
zanash2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
The cheapest, well not the cheapest but best way to get more HP and mileage, is to swap in 5.3L vortec, or a desiel. But neither of these are cheap, what you get is what you get, you could do a stroker for less than a V8 swap gain some HP but not much for mileage. The best way to get more power is get really small tires and make it a low rider. Or trade it in for a honda civic.
lol, that will be an original.... hmmm.. a low rider rubicon....... I will definitely need the chain steering wheel.
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #30
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

get used to it bud. You have to see things from the other side. Every day brand new members ask the same fundamental questions that are covered in the FAQ's and expect long explanations. It tends to clutter the forum and it is irritating for those with real troubleshooting or technical issues that legitimately need help. That's why you'll see alot of "Just ****ing SEARCH already!" responses. They don't go unwarranted.

A good sense of humor and thick skin (not skull) will go a long way here as well.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.