best brand of shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best brand of shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
PatriotCrawler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

best brand of shocks

I know this has been discussed on this board but a search reveals 7 pages of topics semi-related to my direct question........

If you had to replace shocks today and wanted the best ride possible (lots of oil-tops in east Texas) what shocks would you put on?

-----have procomp3000s on and they were terrible (stiff)---the back shocks are damaged so i have an excuse to redo.

PatriotCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Old Man Emu or Rubicon Express Monotubes. And you're right, those ProComp ES-3000 shocks are way too stiff for a Wrangler.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Sky Hye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think its all preference. Mainly, how you define best.

For me best means soft, wranglers having neck snapping suspension and shocks.

I have skyjackers and they are raed softest. I had procomps on my yj, those are on the stiffer side.

Quality wise, I speak from a mt biking POV, Fox makes some of the best quality and feel shocks. IMO the adjustable external reservoirs are best upscale shocks.

I guess first thing is for you to define what "best" means for you/
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
cnt487
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Hye
I think its all preference. Mainly, how you define best.

For me best means soft, wranglers having neck snapping suspension and shocks.

I have skyjackers and they are raed softest. I had procomps on my yj, those are on the stiffer side.

Quality wise, I speak from a mt biking POV, Fox makes some of the best quality and feel shocks. IMO the adjustable external reservoirs are best upscale shocks.

I guess first thing is for you to define what "best" means for you/

I agree that softer is better, but I keep hearing that any SkyJacker is a very rough ride!!!! I did see on one thread that the SkyJacker Hydro is pretty soft but people keep telling me otherwise. Any input on this subject?? Plus, I'm not trying to hijack, i figured this question might help the original poster cuz SkyJacker is alot cheaper than OME!!!
cnt487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
mdawg4x4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had stock length Ranch RSXs for 50,000 miles. I liked them so well, I went with them again when I added my 2"BB lift. Still happy 5,000 miles later.
mdawg4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnt487
I agree that softer is better, but I keep hearing that any SkyJacker is a very rough ride!!!! I did see on one thread that the SkyJacker Hydro is pretty soft but people keep telling me otherwise. Any input on this subject?? Plus, I'm not trying to hijack, i figured this question might help the original poster cuz SkyJacker is alot cheaper than OME!!!
Skyjacker Hydros are rated by quadratec to be as soft as OME, skyjacker Nitros are supposed to be very stiff for a wrangler.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.