Best Battery for my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Battery for my TJ

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best Battery for my TJ

So from what I've read people recommend the sears die hard platinum p4 for the TJ. I have a 99 Sahara. Is this the recommended battery or should I consider others like the optima red top?? Thanks, mine is dead.

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

People recommend those batteries for winches, lights and other items that may drain it quickly. I don't see any of those items in your profile. What are your future build plans that you think you need the "best"?
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_crawler
So from what I've read people recommend the sears die hard platinum p4 for the TJ. I have a 99 Sahara. Is this the recommended battery or should I consider others like the optima red top?? Thanks, mine is dead.
Yes. Don't waste your money on the optima. Not even close to the same battery it was years ago.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am getting the P4 for my new winch. I have fog lamps already not to mention a kick *** sound system. I have a remote starter on the way as well and it gets cold as hell here -40 below eh...

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Die hard platinum is the only battery I've found that has the top AND side posts rated for the current draw of a winch. Optima's seem to be hit and miss these days and I'm glad mine was a hit. Never let me down. But for something tried and true go with the die hard platinum series. I have never heard a bad word about them.
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll just answer your question since you're simply wanting to know "the best". Whether you NEED it or not is a different story.

Optima used to be one of the highest rated batteries... however, now Odyssey is considered the best.

I just picked up an Odyssey 34-PC1500T battery from Amazon, which was super cheap compared to other places:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00249CSS2/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

The Sears Diehard Platinum battery is made by the same company... but is just rebranded. I went with Odyssey since Amazon had such a great price on it, has great return policies, and no tax + free shipping.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
I'll just answer your question since you're simply wanting to know "the best". Whether you NEED it or not is a different story.

Optima used to be one of the highest rated batteries... however, now Odyssey is considered the best.

I just picked up an Odyssey 34-PC1500T battery from Amazon, which was super cheap compared to other places:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

The Sears Diehard Platinum battery is made by the same company... but is just rebranded. I went with Odyssey since Amazon had such a great price on it, has great return policies, and no tax + free shipping.

***$271***

Thats insane, the Diehard sells for around $200.
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha, I didnt say it was cheap altogether... Just cheap compared to odyssey batteries elsewhere.

Also, chances are... If you're dropping $200 on a battery to begin with, you have the money to buy one that's $270.

Like I said, the die hard batteries are the same thing, just rebranded... But I don't have a sears nearby and shipping those are expensive.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you do have a Sears nearby, I would suggest going in the store and asking about an extended warranty. Sears is awesome about that kind of thing and usually you'll find the same caliber of people working there as you would find working at autozone. Working for a wage, full of apathy, and more interested in tweeting about their last bathroom break than splitting hairs about whether your warranty is still valid after X years.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
crawlr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

agm batteries are the best like odyssey or carquests extreme battery. optima is old school. i used to run optima and swore by it then i discoverd agm (abosorbed glass mat) batteries. i have the carquest ngt extreme agm. ca and cca are ridiculous.

()_)-()_)-o-)_) 98 TJ (Crawlr) ax15trans,3.73gears,32/10.5/15 super swampers,2.5" coil lift,1"body lift,1"motor mount lift,lots of body armour
86 cj7 (havent figured out a name yet) 4" leaf lift,33/12.5/15 bfg at ko's,im getting him in the spring!!! i cant wait!!! ;)
crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sears Die hard Platinum , a Sears or K-mart are within driving distance of almost everyone. Its worth the trip . Been using them for years never a problem.
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
white305
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I got the diehard platinum pm-2 because I wanted the second set of posts up top. No complaints so far.
white305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Search agm batteries if youre looking to go that route. I believe the agm's from oreillys are from the same manufacturer as the sears agm's and a lot cheaper. Double check though. I just replaced mine and since i dont have a winch in my future i went with an 800 cca bat from advanced. Theyve worked just fine for me over the years for normal applications

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Mictrik
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Wow, I did very well two weeks ago. I bought the Group 65 Die hard Platinum online for 189 and applied a 10.00 coupon bringing the cost to 179.
Now, here is where I had problems. I chose to pick it up at my local Sears auto center. When i went to pick it up they did not have any Die Hard Platinums in stock, though there inventory showed 1 Group 65 DHP. They instead tried to get me to take the new Die Hard Gold Advanced AGM (which is a Deka, I believe) stating that they no longer carry the Die Hard Platinum. This was not acceptable to me so I asked them to check the next closest store and they had 13 in stock; I went to that store.

Now I get to the store and pick up the battery but they could not complete the transaction because the order was placed by sears online for pickup at the original store. Back and forth with Sears online and the very helpful counter people at this second automotive center, who were on my my side. Sears online actually wanted me to go home and go back online, i said NO! I ended up buying the battery (a second charge) right there in the store after at least 40 minutes to an hour. I asked the sears online to just cancel the order and they never did. it took 3 subsequent phone calls to get this rectified (not confirmed as yet). The one bright spot is that the assistant manager beat the Internet price + coupon by 20.00 so I paid 159.00 for the battery. Was the trouble worth the additional 20 dollar savings; probably not but it was a nice gesture. I guess i should of bought two... LOL!

The new Die hard Gold advanced AGM retails for just under the sale price of the die hard platinum. The Die Hard GOLD AGM has a little less of a warranty and is not as powerful as the Platinum but it should easily meet the needs of most who take their jeeps off road or in cold climates. If you use that winch allot or other high drain accessory I would look to the platinum. If Vibration is not an issue then buy a good quality flooded cell battery...
Mictrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #15
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As a side note, I spotted a AGM battery in Sam's club for $100. Manufactured by East Penn.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.